Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Good "Beginner" FPV System

My new kit is "In Transit" and showing it will be delivered by 9:00pm tomorrow so I should have it in have by Thursday evening (We always allow and extra day because we live in RURAL North Carolina).
Good news and good luck with the TH2. Not sure if it’s configured straight out of the box, in any case it’s probably time to download Betaflight and the drivers to really do your head in:
This vid is from Joshua Bardwell and he is usually my ‘go to’ when I get stuck with a rebuild/build etc.

Good news and good luck with the TH2. Not sure if it’s configured straight out of the box, in any case it’s probably time to download Betaflight and the drivers to really do your head in:
This vid is from Joshua Bardwell and he is usually my ‘go to’ when I get stuck with a rebuild/build etc.

Thank you Tevek.

Supposedly it comes literally Ready To Fly in every aspect other than needing to charge flight batteries, Tx battery, and Goggle Battery. From the reviews I've seen (and I've seen a LOT lol) EMAX does a good job of tuning the aircraft in the RTF kits and setting channels etc. We will see for sure some time tonight.

I'll DL BF and the drivers here today so I have everything ready. I read where I should do a "Settings Dump" first thing just in case I need to FLASH later on. So that's what I'll do first "Just In Case".

THANK YOU!

Reactions: HighTechPauper
Thank you Tevek.

Supposedly it comes literally Ready To Fly in every aspect other than needing to charge flight batteries, Tx battery, and Goggle Battery. From the reviews I've seen (and I've seen a LOT lol) EMAX does a good job of tuning the aircraft in the RTF kits and setting channels etc. We will see for sure some time tonight.

I'll DL BF and the drivers here today so I have everything ready. I read where I should do a "Settings Dump" first thing just in case I need to FLASH later on. So that's what I'll do first "Just In Case".

THANK YOU!
I have the TH2 freestyle and the rates on it by default are set really low for beginners, however you will want to be able to change this in Betaflight as you progress. As you raise these rates it will be easier for you to do more quicker maneuvers and tricks.

I have the TH2 freestyle and the rates on it by default are set really low for beginners, however you will want to be able to change this in Betaflight as you progress. As you raise these rates it will be easier for you to do more quicker maneuvers and tricks.

Thank you very much. I have DL the software & drivers and will install it on my laptop later today. First thing I'll do a Data Dump (to preserve factory settings) and then after I fly it some I'll tweak the rates to meet my "bravery level" LOL.

I appreciate that helpful advice :)

Thank you Tevek.

THANK YOU!
Good piece of advice is to always save your original settings. Just type in ‘diff all’ in the CLI tab and save the file somewhere on your computer. If ever you need it again, copy and paste it back into the CLI tab hit enter and then type in ‘save’ and enter. That may save you a world of pain later, especially when updating your FW.

Ok got the FrestyleII and it flies really well right out of the box. It's definitely on "Low Rates" but that's fine I can switch it up to Intermediate or Advanced Mode and it comes alive. I had a blast on the first pair of batteries (that's all I had charged unfortunately) and can't wait to get more stick time on it later tonight. My wife isn't going to be overly joyed me flying it through the house LOL.

I do have a question... I'm a big guy (no comments from @Donnie Baker LOL) and those battery connectors are teeny tiny. What's the best trick/method for getting those things disconnected (aircraft and charger)?

Ok got the FrestyleII and it flies really well right out of the box. It's definitely on "Low Rates" but that's fine I can switch it up to Intermediate or Advanced Mode and it comes alive. I had a blast on the first pair of batteries (that's all I had charged unfortunately) and can't wait to get more stick time on it later tonight. My wife isn't going to be overly joyed me flying it through the house LOL.

I do have a question... I'm a big guy (no comments from @Donnie Baker LOL) and those battery connectors are teeny tiny. What's the best trick/method for getting those things disconnected (aircraft and charger)?
I just try to be gentle and get my fingers closest to the connector when removing and not to push too hard when connecting. They definitely can stick especially when they are new. If you want some good batteries that have a long flight time I recommend the 650gnb. I will leave a link.

Reactions: BigAl07
I've had the same issue in the beginning with my Tinyhawk Freestyle 2 but they definitely got easier after a bit of use.
One thing and maybe it's just me but I had a problem with the motor wires and the reciever antenna coming loose and contact with the props(maybe from when i crashed) and one of the motor wires was cut. I spent some time with zip ties and strapped them down.
-And yes that's scotch tape on the antenna in the back, heat shrink tubing in on it's way along with smaller black zip ties

Attachments

• KIMG0894.JPG
    KIMG0894.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 10
I just try to be gentle and get my fingers closest to the connector when removing and not to push too hard when connecting. They definitely can stick especially when they are new. If you want some good batteries that have a long flight time I recommend the 650gnb. I will leave a link.
I just ordered (8) of those batteries. Thanks for the link and info :)

I've had the same issue in the beginning with my Tinyhawk Freestyle 2 but they definitely got easier after a bit of use.
One thing and maybe it's just me but I had a problem with the motor wires and the reciever antenna coming loose and contact with the props(maybe from when i crashed) and one of the motor wires was cut. I spent some time with zip ties and strapped them down.
-And yes that's scotch tape on the antenna in the back, heat shrink tubing in on it's way along with smaller black zip ties
Re: Motor Leads - You're not the first person to have that problem. I went through mine last night and they have fastened the zip ties down closer to the upright (inner portion of the arm) and they are so tight it's almost like they've added a drop/dab of glue to the zip ties. I couldn't move any of them even a micron. I have literally 10's of thousands of micro black zip ties so at the first sign of the wires getting any slack I'll add more just like you did.

Re: Rx/Tx Antennae - I have seen several people talking about those as well. The tiny Rx Antennae (stinger off the back I think) I've seen an interesting mod with 2 zip ties. One is the "backbone" to keep the wire stiff and the other one simply keeps the wire attached to the first sip tie. I'll find a picture and share it here. I'm wondering if I could just use a small piece of shrink wrap to attach the wire to the zip tie??

I do have NEWBIE questions.... my RTF kit came with the small 1S USB Charging board that charges up to (6) 1S batteries at a time. My questions:
  • a) They have bright green LEDs..... how do I know if the batteries are charged or charging per the LED?
  • b) What's the "typical" charge time for a single 450mah 1S from Low Voltage to Full charge on this charging board?
Does anyone have any details about this charger or a link? I didn't find anything in the instructions from EMAX talkin specifically about this cheap charger.

Reactions: Madhungarian
I had a problem with the motor wires and the reciever antenna coming loose and contact with the props(maybe from when i crashed) and one of the motor wires was cut.
Some people cover the motor wires with something to keep the props from cutting them in a crash; such as a piece of blade from an old prop, or a thin 3D printed covering of some sort.

Joshua Bardwell has a method of securing the wires to the arms that helps to keep them from getting cut by the props. This video has a section on securing the wires at around the 6:45 mark.

Reactions: BigAl07 and mrmund
I do have NEWBIE questions.... my RTF kit came with the small 1S USB Charging board that charges up to (6) 1S batteries at a time. My questions:
  • a) They have bright green LEDs..... how do I know if the batteries are charged or charging per the LED?
  • b) What's the "typical" charge time for a single 450mah 1S from Low Voltage to Full charge on this charging board?
Does anyone have any details about this charger or a link? I didn't find anything in the instructions from EMAX talkin specifically about this cheap charger.
a) If I remember correctly, the LEDs flash if no battery is connected to that port. They are on solid while charging. And they go out when charging is complete.
b) These chargers charge at about a 1C rate, so it will take about an hour to fully charge them.

I haven't seen any info on the chargers either. I had to use google find what little info I have from various forums.

Reactions: Deleted member 3641
Thanks BB. I may have to grab that one too LOL!!
In this hobby, there is always more money to be spent...?

EDIT: Flying a open prop inside the house.... You must be good.

EDIT2: Or maybe you have a really big house...

Last edited by a moderator:
In this hobby, there is always more money to be spent...?

yea there’s def lots of “opportunities” to sink $$ into it. Thank goodness the extras are cheap on this little rascal.

Flying a open prop inside the house.... You must be good.

EDIT2: Or maybe you have a really big house...
def do not have a big house. Just the opposite really. But I have been flying R/C since 1974 so I should have some flying skills. Keep in mind I was flying about 30 years before Gryos etc came out which means I’ve had some pretty dramatic crashes lol.

I’ve flown several micro quads but this is my first jump into a dedicated FPV system other than my Commercial units.

I’ve flown all evening in the house up n down the hallway, around the living room/dining room and back again. I’m sloppy but able to fly in Easy and Intermediate Modes but in Advanced Mode I need to get outside and practice.

I didn’t like the proximity of the rear antennae (Rx?) flopping around. I added a micro zip tie to the frame, left it long, ran the wire along it, and used a small piece of heat shrink tubing to secure it. It looks fairly clean and works like a charm while only adding a few grams at most. Here’s a quick shot.

8E44E137-DA0A-407F-B3A4-679A2EB6F94D.jpeg
E02844FD-3466-48C7-80A0-315397757D8D.jpeg

You are gonna love it... Enjoy the new FPV addiction...
The cost does start escalating as the size increases.:rolleyes:

Reactions: mrmund
If you are looking for a better 1s charger, I have found this charger to work very well for me. It charges six at a time. It charges standard 3.8v and HV 4.35v 1s batteries and can be adjusted up to a 1 amp charge rate (would be almost twice as fast as the stock charger with the 650mAh batteries you bought).
Ultra Power UP-S6 1S LiPo/LiHV Whoop Battery ChargerDefault Title
Other than with my TH2, I haven't messed with the 1S and 2S batteries much. Is it safe to charge at almost a 2C rate on these? Typically, you wouldn't want to charge over 1C on the larger batteries.

I didn’t like the proximity of the rear antennae (Rx?) flopping around. I added a micro zip tie to the frame, left it long, ran the wire along it, and used a small piece of heat shrink tubing to secure it. It looks fairly clean and works like a charm while only adding a few grams at most. Here’s a quick shot.

View attachment 4570
Looks good. That should hold the antenna in position well.

However, you'll probably want to protect your motor wires better. In a hard crash, the prop will get bent down to where it could cut the wires. Almost all of my damaged props have dings near the tips where they hit the arms. The video that I posted above shows one possibility for securing them away from the bent prop.

Reactions: mrmund
Other than with my TH2, I haven't messed with the 1S and 2S batteries much. Is it safe to charge at almost a 2C rate on these? Typically, you wouldn't want to charge over 1C on the larger batteries.
I have twenty 1s 300mAh batteries as well as a dozen or so larger ones that I have had for a year and they have always been charged at 1 amp (just over 3c) and have had no problems. I just learned a few months ago what 1c, 3c, ect means. My 2 and 3s batteries have always been charged at 2 amps with my imax B6 charger. They range from 300mAh to 650mAh. I always have them in a Lipo safe bag while charging as I have always been afraid of a flameout, and I keep them stored in the bags inside an old steel toolbox when not in use. I have never trusted Lipos...

Reactions: okw
I have twenty 1s 300mAh batteries as well as a dozen or so larger ones that I have had for a year and they have always been charged at 1 amp (just over 3c) and have had no problems. I just learned a few months ago what 1c, 3c, ect means. My 2 and 3s batteries have always been charged at 2 amps with my imax B6 charger. They range from 300mAh to 650mAh. I always have them in a Lipo safe bag while charging as I have always been afraid of a flameout, and I keep them stored in the bags inside an old steel toolbox when not in use. I have never trusted Lipos...
Apparently things have changed significantly over the years. I just looked up the specs on a couple of my 4S batteries and one says you can charge at a max of 2C. Another states a max charge rate of 5C! And that's on a 2200mAH out of one of my airplanes. So an 11A charge! o_O

Obviously, you must have a good balance charger (for anything over 1S, anyway) to push those kinds of charge rates safely and without damaging the batteries.

Reactions: Deleted member 3641

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax