Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

FPV Drone hovers then flips / unstable / flips during takeoff (SOLVED)

alec345453

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have recently bought an Eachine x220 drone and after many many issues I have come across one last (I hope) major problem.

When I arm the drone and bring it to a hover, the balance goes way off and flips like crazy, and the failsafe makes it fall to the ground. I will attach a video of the problem through Google Drive. I have calibrated the accelerometer thru Cleanflight (Because this board seems to only support cleanflight). I honestly have no idea what is going on.
Any help on how to fix this would be much appreciated.

Link to video of issue (~10-20 sec): IMG_7419.MOV

HOW TO FIX
Hopefully this will save you guys some frustration :)

Possible fixes to this issue:
1. Check motor spin direction
2. Calibrate accelerometer
3. Check propeller installation (correct propeller with the right motor, correct nut on the motor, props tight on motor)
4. Remove custom motor maps
5. Check motor settings

How I fixed this problem:
The board had an arrow on it which was supposed to be facing forward but the board was mounted 90 degrees to the left. To fix the yaw offset, set it to the opposite of where your board is facing, for example the board’s arrow is 180 degrees rotated from the front of the drone, type in -180 in the yaw offset

Last edited:
Ok so this is a safety feature called anti-taz which prevents your quad from going crazy and destroying your parents nice living room. It can be caused by:
Props on wrong
Motors not rotating in the proper direction
Flight controller not facing the proper direction

Can you post a closeup pic so we can see how your props are mounted.

Reactions: Wayno52 and tevek
Ok so this is a safety feature called anti-taz which prevents your quad from going crazy and destroying your parents nice living room. It can be caused by:
Props on wrong
Motors not rotating in the proper direction
Flight controller not facing the proper direction

Can you post a closeup pic so we can see how your props are mounted.

I have made sure my props are properly put on.

I’ll check the motor direction etc. Thanks for responding!

OK. The other thing to check is your flight controller. There will be an arrow showing which way it's pointed, should be pointed forward. And yes, check motor direction

motor.jpg

Reactions: tevek
You'll also want to check your ESC protocol. Those are BL-Heli S, so they may default to dshot600, but you should get an ESC config and make sure. I think your flight controller may only support oneshot (I just looked it up) and that would cause a freak out if they're not in sync.

This is the ESC config I use, it's a chrome app

Last edited:
Reactions: tevek
I’m typing this with my ug mining gear on and nowhere near any of my quads but from memory my x220 kit are oneshot 125. One of them was set up for cleanflight and I ended up flashing the firmware in betaflight targeting the sp3 fc and updating to the latest version. Again from memory I YouTubed it and followed the tutorial.
You’ve got the top feeders helping you out (not me) you will sort it out, be up in the air and become a tragic like the rest of us.

Reactions: Wayno52
Alec, can you go into your CLI and type the word version then enter. It will show what version of firmware your flight controller has. If you bought this recently I'd be quite surprised if it came with Cleanflight

Reactions: Wayno52
Alec, can you go into your CLI and type the word version then enter. It will show what version of firmware your flight controller has. If you bought this recently I'd be quite surprised if it came with Cleanflight

I bought it recently and the board has a cleanflight logo printed on it. Can I use betaflight?

You'll also want to check your ESC protocol. Those are BL-Heli S, so they may default to dshot600, but you should get an ESC config and make sure. I think your flight controller may only support oneshot (I just looked it up) and that would cause a freak out if they're not in sync.

This is the ESC config I use, it's a chrome app
Will do thanks

Reactions: rtkDarling
OK. The other thing to check is your flight controller. There will be an arrow showing which way it's pointed, should be pointed forward. And yes, check motor direction

View attachment 3194
Yeah I saw this on a YouTube video and it seems to be one of the common causes of this. If they are wrong, can I like flip the motor spin direction in cleanflight or betaflight, or do I have to resolder the esc?

No, this can be done in Betaflight. But we still need to know if this is even required. Which way is the arrow pointed on your flight controller?
fc.jpg

Also, still need to know what Version is showing when you go into the CLI.

I think you really need to have a better understanding of what's required to set up your quad, here's a decent tutorial to go through

Last edited:
No, this can be done in Betaflight. But we still need to know if this is even required. Which way is the arrow pointed on your flight controller?
View attachment 3195

Also, still need to know what Version is showing when you go into the CLI.

I think you really need to have a better understanding of what's required to set up your quad, here's a decent tutorial to go through
Thanks for your response. Just to let you know I fixed it about an hour ago and this was the problem. Thanks for posting though!

Extra points for reporting the solution back
giphy.gif

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax