Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Flying with box goggles and tuning.

Madhungarian

Reaction score
Hello drone pilots! I was wondering if you anyone could give me some tuning tips on how to get rid of the robotic movements when I tilt the bird. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Using the box goggles would make it legal to fly by yourself without goggles I would think. Have a great day!

It looks like you are flying in stabilized mode and not in acro, that will make it pretty robotic because the robot is really in control.
You can add some expo to smooth out your minor stick movements.
Flying with any goggle, box or otherwise, is breaking the rule, but we all do it. Legally we are required to have a spotter that can see the quad the whole time it is in flight, but who has time for all that nonsense.

It looks like you are flying in stabilized mode and not in acro, that will make it pretty robotic because the robot is really in control.
You can add some expo to smooth out your minor stick movements.
Flying with any goggle, box or otherwise, is breaking the rule, but we all do it. Legally we are required to have a spotter that can see the quad the whole time it is in flight, but who has time for all that nonsense.
Actually the only time I switch into stabilized mode(4:23) is only at the end when I catch it. I fly in air mode.

Last edited:
Reactions: HighTechPauper
Wow that does look robotic, bet you are an awesome break dancer, lol.
Agreed Expo and may I suggest trying coordinate your movements to be in sinc, in other words you are only doing one movement at a time.
You either yaw or roll or pitch with found two movements at once. For example roll and yaw together to create smoother lines.
Just a thought.
Otherwise just keep up stick time and it will all come together.

@Madhungarian and @Futuramille...

Air mode is completely different than Flight Modes. Flight Modes include Angle, Horizon, and when NEITHER of those 2 are enabled it is AUTOMATICALLY in Acro. This has nothing to do with Air Mode, and it can be on or off in ALL of the Flight modes depending on the BF configuration for Air Mode. I am guessing both of you have Air Mode permanently enabled in BF on the Configuration page slider, I have my slider turned off and have assigned a switch to it because I have some reasons to do so.

When you have Air Mode enabled and you are in Acro, it only says AIR in the display, if you had Air Mode turned off, or turned off by switch position, then the display would actually show "ACRO" in the display. When the display says Angle, Horizon or possibly STAB, air mode is still on for you guys.

It is funny how BF works sometimes, I have seen a few odd things when I updated to OpenTX 2.3.1 and got the new LUA scripts. Sometimes it is a bug, sometimes it is intended operation for whatever reason, but when it is different than it used to be, you need to research and test all over again to be sure.

Wayno52 is correct on both accounts, expo will help a little to smooth minor stick movements out, but mostly it is about practice and just getting better on the stick inputs to get smoother. With practice you will get smoother and smoother over time.

@Madhungarian and @Futuramille...

Air mode is completely different than Flight Modes. Flight Modes include Angle, Horizon, and when NEITHER of those 2 are enabled it is AUTOMATICALLY in Acro. This has nothing to do with Air Mode, and it can be on or off in ALL of the Flight modes depending on the BF configuration for Air Mode. I am guessing both of you have Air Mode permanently enabled in BF on the Configuration page slider, I have my slider turned off and have assigned a switch to it because I have some reasons to do so.

When you have Air Mode enabled and you are in Acro, it only says AIR in the display, if you had Air Mode turned off, or turned off by switch position, then the display would actually show "ACRO" in the display. When the display says Angle, Horizon or possibly STAB, air mode is still on for you guys.

It is funny how BF works sometimes, I have seen a few odd things when I updated to OpenTX 2.3.1 and got the new LUA scripts. Sometimes it is a bug, sometimes it is intended operation for whatever reason, but when it is different than it used to be, you need to research and test all over again to be sure.

Wayno52 is correct on both accounts, expo will help a little to smooth minor stick movements out, but mostly it is about practice and just getting better on the stick inputs to get smoother. With practice you will get smoother and smoother over time.

I have it set like you, I turned off permanent Air mode so that it would be an option for me for my switches. I have three settings on of my switch, stab, air, and gps rescue.
Take off in stab, switch to air mode. Please excuse my noob questions but how would I change expo to smooth it out? Thank you for your help.

I could be wrong but it doesn't sound to me like you have acro set up, if using GPS rescue I think you should have 4 switch settings. Angle, horizon, third would be acro though it won't say that then GPS.
HTP will know for sure.

I think Mad is correct, when in STAB he is either in angle or horizon, when he switches to Air, he is in Acro with Air Mode turned on, and GPS rescue is just that.
So a couple questions @Madhungarian...
If in STAB mode, will it still flip and roll or is the angle limited?
If in Air mode and you turn Air Mode off at the switch, does the display then say "ACRO" instead of AIR?

Reactions: Wayno52
I think Mad is correct, when in STAB he is either in angle or horizon, when he switches to Air, he is in Acro with Air Mode turned on, and GPS rescue is just that.
If in Air mode and you turn Air Mode off at the switch, does the display then say "ACRO" instead of AIR?
I do not have horizon mode enabled. It says air. In stabilized I cannot flip, its limited.

Last edited:
@Madhungarian, there are a few things going on that you may or may not be completely aware of, but yes, you have Angle without air mode in one position, Acro with air mode in the next, and GPS Rescue in the third position. All well and good.

In the RC Expo field, try setting it to .10, and maybe up to .50, and test it to see what may feel right to you. As you add more expo it will make the sticks less responsive in the beginning of the travel so that small changes do not make a big effect, but that could also cause problems in your flying since you will move the stick as much as before but it won't move the quad as much till you get further int the stick travel.

For me, I chose to run 0 expo like Bardwell, and let my experience grow with a more linear stick travel, but many pilots swear by .1 or more expo to make them smoother without actually having smooth movements. It may take some time to get used to expo and to start moving the sticks enough when needed, but it will smooth out small movements. The same things would happen as you get more and more experience also.

Also set all 3 expos to the same number to start, usually Pitch and Roll will be the same and Yaw may be a little lower or higher, but start out with all 3 at the same value.

Stabilized you cannot flip, that would be horizon, where you can do all sorts of flips and rolls and it rights itself. Air mode I believe just does not let you cut the throttle completely gives you more stability when your doing maneuvers.
@Madhungarian, there are a few things going on that you may or may not be completely aware of, but yes, you have Angle without air mode in one position, Acro with air mode in the next, and GPS Rescue in the third position. All well and good.

In the RC Expo field, try setting it to .10, and maybe up to .50, and test it to see what may feel right to you. As you add more expo it will make the sticks less responsive in the beginning of the travel so that small changes do not make a big effect, but that could also cause problems in your flying since you will move the stick as much as before but it won't move the quad as much till you get further int the stick travel.

For me, I chose to run 0 expo like Bardwell, and let my experience grow with a more linear stick travel, but many pilots swear by .1 or more expo to make them smoother without actually having smooth movements. It may take some time to get used to expo and to start moving the sticks enough when needed, but it will smooth out small movements. The same things would happen as you get more and more experience also.
I will try this, THANK YOU :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larcas