Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Flying my wizard x220 without vtx antenna

mikeottinger

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm practicing acro mode... lot's of crashing ;) . My vtx antenna must have come loose in one of my crashes and is lost somewhere. I think I've heard it's not good to fly with the vtx antenna not connected. I don't plan to use goggles for quite a while and intended to upgrade the stock vtx anyways since I'd heard it's not a great one. So question; can I simply undo the clip on the vtx circuit board at the back on the machine and be ok, or is there stuff I need to do on the FC itself?

Thanks!

Just unplug the vtx otherwise, it'll burn out, doesn't matter which end of the lead you disconnect

Reactions: Wayno52
Regardless of what many say, the vTX's in the Wizard X220 are fine and work as good as most, accurate output power notwithstanding due to the fact that most are running higher than labeled, but they are sturdy and I doubt it is fried. I have run a few of mine (I have 3) without antennas before for 15 minutes anyway and they are still ok. The only way to know is is to throw an antenna on it and see if you get decent video out of it in your goggles. BTW, the vTX cable needs to be removed from the vTX end as the other end is soldered to the board. Just pull the 3 wire connector out of the plug on the vTX end and make sure it can't get out near the props and your good.

Reactions: VirtueViolater
Regardless of what many say, the vTX's in the Wizard X220 are fine and work as good as most, accurate output power notwithstanding due to the fact that most are running higher than labeled, but they are sturdy and I doubt it is fried. I have run a few of mine (I have 3) without antennas before for 15 minutes anyway and they are still ok. The only way to know is is to throw an antenna on it and see if you get decent video out of it in your goggles. BTW, the vTX cable needs to be removed from the vTX end as the other end is soldered to the board. Just pull the 3 wire connector out of the plug on the vTX end and make sure it can't get out near the props and your good.
Yeah I pulled that off then zip tied it to some other cords to keep it out of the way. I’ve taken it out since then, seems to be doing fine

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
happypapaya