Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Flight controller for a racing drone

Sith Trooper

Reaction score
I'll buy a racing drone and FPV goggles. I have Turnigy tgy i6 flight controller but I don't know if it's OK for a racing drone.
Can someone help me?

The Turnigy TGY i6 is not a Flight Controller, it is a Transmitter, the Flight Controller is the flight computer board in the quad itself. That radio will work ok but is almost the cheapest radio available so don't expect too much, also the Receivers available for it are limited, pretty large and heavy by comparison.

Here is a good article from FliteTest about this radio, keep in mind that with only 6 channels you will be severely limited in what you can setup since the first 4 channels are for Pitch/Roll/Yaw/Throttle so you only have 2 left and 1 will be needed for arming and that only leaves 1 more channel for 1 other thing. I need at least 8 channels since I want all 3 flight modes (Angle/Horizon/Acro) as well as Turtle Mode, beeper, and Air Mode on a switch so a 6 channel just won't cut it for me.

So which Transmitter I should buy?
There is no easy answer to this question, there are many good radios.

Decide if you want to use Frsky protocol or TBS Crossfire protocol, then you can narrow down your search.

Some good choices reasonably priced in my opinion are...

Jumper T18
RadioMaster TX16S
TBS Tango2 (this radio can only run Crossfire)
The OLD (not ACCESS but ACCST radios which are still available) QX7, X-Lite, X9D+

I have the QX7 and I like it but if I had to buy a new transmitter, I would buy the new RadioMaster TX16S since it is so versatile. However, if you are just getting into the hobby and want to keep it simple and low cost, I would suggest that you take a look at the Taranis Q X7. Used ones in great shape are showing up in a lot of places these days for a great price.

Reactions: Deleted member 3641
I have the QX7 and I like it but if I had to buy a new transmitter, I would buy the new RadioMaster TX16S since it is so versatile. However, if you are just getting into the hobby and want to keep it simple and low cost, I would suggest that you take a look at the Taranis Q X7. Used ones in great shape are showing up in a lot of places these days for a great price.
Thanks.

Reactions: graywoulf

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax