Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

first time racing drone buying advice

Corey Tucker

Reaction score
hey, so i'm coming from a phantom 3 and 4, and i'm bored with those cuz they're just too easy to fly. i want something thats fast and a challenge to fly and will be fun. i also like that you can wreck these and they don't always break like the little wimpy phantoms. does anybody have any suggestions on something for a couple hundred dollars or so?

oh - i saw one ad that said you had to put it together. i don't want to do any of thateither. i just want to fly it not build it.

hey, so i'm coming from a phantom 3 and 4, and i'm bored with those cuz they're just too easy to fly. i want something thats fast and a challenge to fly and will be fun. i also like that you can wreck these and they don't always break like the little wimpy phantoms. does anybody have any suggestions on something for a couple hundred dollars or so?

oh - i saw one ad that said you had to put it together. i don't want to do any of thateither. i just want to fly it not build it.
Wimpy phantoms . lol
Get one of these baby's and you can zoom over them pools :)

With all due respect, I think building is the best way to do things. You know your bird inside and out, and its a lot of fun!
But as far as RTF goes here are some of my recommendations, just based on what some friends like, and what has gotten good reviews.
http://www.banggood.com/Eachine-Rac...opping&utm_content=jude&utm_campaign=multi-us

STORM Racing Drone (RTF / Type-A V2)

Both of what kandelin16 referred to are good starter racers.
Some good reports are coming in about the Eachine Falcon also.

I have the Eachine 250, it works great, but arms break pretty regularly so you'll need extras of those. I Still use the eachine 250 to train those I want to learn how to use a 250mm .

Once they get comfortable with that I then let them try my Vortex Pro 250, which is an incredibly tough and complete ARF kit. I can't hardly believe how much a beating it takes and keeps going, but for that one you'll need to spend the $479.00 US Plus get a good Remote Control and Receiver. I can't recommend the FrSky Taranis Plus enough as it is a fantastic $200.00 US Remote.

But as he mentions, the best way to go is build your own. You will still need a Remote Control also, but you will indeed know your kit best then. But if ARF is your choice go with the Storm, Falcon or best of all the Vortex Pro 250......it's incredible!

A few co-workers and I just bought this Walkera Runner 250 on GearBest for $149 to try out the hobby. They keep running "Flash" sales with that price as their gimmick. Walkera Runner 250 Upgraded Quadcopter - Basic 2 Package

Haven't had a chance to actually fly it yet, but watching the others, it will clearly be completely different than my Phantom 3 Pro! The Phantom is a stable aerial photography and video platform, not intended for the type of flying these racing birds see.

To really do it properly, you will end up needing more gear, especially a set of FPV goggles.

Unlike the Phantom with smart batteries, you will have to get a real battery charger to replace the toy included in the kit. It says balancing on the label, but we have not seen a balanced battery from them yet.

I found a FPV racing group in town, and went to an event at one of the members house where he has setup a tight course on his property. It is much more challenging than their typical courses in open fields and I am not even able to slowly navigate my P3P around it to take a video! https://youtu.be/Fh_WVbCLnLs

Reactions: dirkclod
Well that sucks .
donny.jpg
Now how much do ya want for that 250 ?
Hope ya didn't bust up your Pro and welcome to the group :)

you sound like me a few weeks ago...

if money isn't a issue... buy a vortex pro... its as easy as it gets to set up ( still requires some set up time), but flew super nice. i initially bought a nighthawk... which i crashed and broke my first day flying... i fixed it a couple times... but after flying the vortex i regretted even buying the nighthawk... vortex flew day and night better.

you will probably break something shortly after buying it. so be ready to get it repaired or buy a new one. I bought 2 in my first week because i wanted to keep flying every day. id leave one to get repaired while i flew the other.... i was pushing my limits so i would literally break it every 10-15 batteries i flew.

good luck... and mini quads are WAAAAAAAY harder to fly then phantoms. fly safely. never work on it with propellors, never fly nearby yourself or people. i can't stress that enough... it takes about 1 seconds to freak out and sending it racing full speed into your own eye.

good luck.

Reactions: Hebrews12v2
Well that sucks .
Now how much do ya want for that 250 ?
Hope ya didn't bust up your Pro and welcome to the group :)
The Phantom is okay, but it broke the camera swivel arm at the gimbal.
Bought the UAV service contract from Neary Arial Media when they first offered it at a discount, so it basically paid for itself since I would have had to buy a whole new gimbal.

Tried flying the 250 yesterday, but too much wind (light breeze, maybe!) made it a bit challenging for a first try. Two bent props is a small price to pay for a first experience...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fducloux