Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

First setup feedback

Reaction score
Gday, so yeh I'm looking to make some purchases in my first bit of drone gear so just want your opinion:

Goggles- fatshark scouts
Tx- frsky 9x lite s
Drones- happymodel lava x and happymodel mobula 6

So I can practice inside and outside as well,

When I step up to a 4 or 5 inch drone I'd be looking at upgrading to dji goggles but these fatsharks imo seem to be the best value for money as I'm not a fan of the small fov on the fatshark dominators

Any feedback or suggestions?

For a few more dollars you could get Skyzone O2C's, goggles is the toughest decision in this hobby.
I wouldn't buy any of the new Frsky TX's no matter how inexpensive they may seem, this is the second toughest decision in this hobby.
Goggles and TX are critical, get the wrong thing and you have trouble and/or realize it was wasted money.
All this SHOULD work if you get the XM+ or R-XSR rx version of the Larva, and don't have issues with the D16 mode of the Mob6.
I emphasize SHOULD since the specs are correct, but if you have trouble there is not much help out there for you since very few are buying that radio.
We will of course do anything we can to help if you have questions.

Reactions: Deleted member 3641
For a few more dollars you could get Skyzone O2C's, goggles is the toughest decision in this hobby.
I wouldn't buy any of the new Frsky TX's no matter how inexpensive they may seem, this is the second toughest decision in this hobby.
Goggles and TX are critical, get the wrong thing and you have trouble and/or realize it was wasted money.
All this SHOULD work if you get the XM+ or R-XSR rx version of the Larva, and don't have issues with the D16 mode of the Mob6.
I emphasize SHOULD since the specs are correct, but if you have trouble there is not much help out there for you since very few are buying that radio.
We will of course do anything we can to help if you have questions.
can i ask what transmitter would you recommend? i used to own a spektrum dx6 but the dx9's are like $700, is there anything more reasonably priced or this is a good choice? is the dx8 enough transmitter?

Best bang right now is the RadioMaster TX16S, they are shipping now so you may find it in stock somewhere, but likely would need to pre-order and wait a few weeks. If I was to buy today that is by far the radio to get.

Best bang right now is the RadioMaster TX16S, they are shipping now so you may find it in stock somewhere, but likely would need to pre-order and wait a few weeks. If I was to buy today that is by far the radio to get.
awesome they look really decent i will look at pre ordering one, soo looks like i'll go for the RadioMaster TX16S with the Skyzone O2C googles, these googles have gotten great feedback on youtube and that so they look to be a winner cheers mate

Reactions: HighTechPauper
Keep in mind, you will likely want better antennas than come with them, that's going to increase your overall cost. You can run the ones that come with them for a while, but good antennas are the best cheaper improvement you can make on the picture.

I just purchased a new access FrSky QX7 after watching multiple you tube vids.... realized yesterday the new platforms and issues. I have a Tiny HawkS and yea - D8 v. D16. I have learned to go into BetaFlight and reprogram the Tiny Hawk from FrSkyD to FrSkyX enabling a D16 bind. after that didn't work I learned (again through hours of youtube) how to use the CLI. Even after trying to bind via CLI - - - still nothing.

New hobby : ) gotta love the learning curve. What I hear you saying is return the FrSky and keep the Tiny Hawk. Order something different. Several you tubers are recommending the Jumper T16.. (?)

Frustrated and sick of wasting time. I just want to learn how to crash in acro mode! : )

New hobby : ) gotta love the learning curve. What I hear you saying is return the FrSky and keep the Tiny Hawk. Order something different. Several you tubers are recommending the Jumper T16.. (?)

I would recommend keeping the Tiny Hawk (great little flier and holds up well in crashes) and dumping the FrSky. I have the ACCST version of the QX7 and will not replace it with another FrSky as they are all ACCESS versions now. The "RadioMaster TX16S" is a better version of the Jumper T16 in my opinion and is what I would replace my QX7 with if I were needing to replace it. I know it is currently available on Amazon so you should be able to find one as they are brand new out.

Have you tried a simulator yet. They really help with getting used to the controls while crashing in ACRO and doing no damage to a quad. My suggestion would be Velocidrone.

Last edited by a moderator:
THANK YOU !! I have sent back my FrSky and am looking for a RadioMaster TX16S (Joshua Bardwell has a great review). Sim is an awesome suggestion I hadn't thought of - thanks!

I read in this post about FPV goggles being a huge decision. Any recommendations for a newbie?

I read in this post about FPV goggles being a huge decision. Any recommendations for a newbie?

There are so many variables in choosing goggles. The biggest one is how much you can afford to drop on them. It can range from about 100 bucks to around 800 or so. I have about 700 in my setup (Fatshark HDO2's, RapidFire receiver, and various antennas).
Your radio and the goggles you will use with all your quads so they are the most important purchases.
For the low end I have heard that the Eachine EV800D's are pretty descent for about $100 USD.
In the midrange there are the Skyzone SKYO2C's and for a little more the Skyzone SKY03O OLED's.
On the high end there are the ORQA's at about $700 USD which are great goggles and have a good DVR in them for recording the flight. Fatsharks have a pretty crappy DVR in them but good enough to use to help find the quad when it goes down.

The simulators really helped me a bunch to develop the muscle memory and are also alot of fun when you can't fly the real thing because of weather, winter, ect...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax