Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

FIrst racing drone ( BUILD or BUY ) Help?

btemtzzz

Reaction score
HI Guys,

I'm just wondering what I should do buy or build ...

Beagledrones.com able to get the entire kit with goggles and controller, goggles and extended battery , apparently can do flight times up to 15min and speeds upto 60mph etc.. for $500

Or should i build my own drone

I looked at what they are offering, it is garbage, and it won't fly well or last long before it is broken. To build you will need to learn an awful lot to have it be successful even if all the parts you get are good with no failures out of the box. You are FAR better off getting the following to learn to fly, then when you can fly the TinyHawk, you can get a 3" or a 5" and use the same goggles and transmitter with them.

Look up the following, I would suggest RaceDayQuads.com

Frsky QX7
EMAX Tinyhawk S BNF Frsky
Eachine EV800D

When the time comes to move to bigger quads, just get some upgraded antennas for the goggles and you are good to go.
IMHO

I looked at what they are offering, it is garbage, and it won't fly well or last long before it is broken. To build you will need to learn an awful lot to have it be successful even if all the parts you get are good with no failures out of the box. You are FAR better off getting the following to learn to fly, then when you can fly the TinyHawk, you can get a 3" or a 5" and use the same goggles and transmitter with them.

Look up the following, I would suggest RaceDayQuads.com

Frsky QX7
EMAX Tinyhawk S BNF Frsky
Eachine EV800D

When the time comes to move to bigger quads, just get some upgraded antennas for the goggles and you are good to go.
IMHO
Thanks buddy

When I become good, as my brother has micro quad i have been practising but i might do more. Can you tell me when i become real good, Can you point to something which i can add the HD fpv DJI unit + room a 4k CAM.. and i can race it aswell as capture footage sometimes

Sure, but you are looking at more like $2000 for all that. You won't win any races with it, it is too heavy and not really a race rig, but you can try :)
Racing and freestyle are optimized for different things, you really can't get everything in one quad, but you can have one that does each thing well.
It is more about the pilot than the gear to some degree, flying it is one thing, building and repairing is something else.

@HighTechPauper is spot on with his recommendation for getting into the hobby with minimal cost exposure and maximum fun. I’ve got a DJI HD setup with my Iflight dc3/goggle setup and it’s certainly a revelation. Not saying that analogue is dead to me but it’s a near death thing at the moment. It’s a fairly hefty outlay for the setup and whilst I can record in 1080 and the experience is vastly superior to analogue, you won’t be winning any races any time soon. The newly released Caddx Vista is a step in the right direction for fitting to smaller quads and some of the stuff I’ve watched suggests that racing with that configuration is reasonable, right now it’s not a serious option. That will change as form factor meets the racing scene but you’re looking at serious money to be competitive.
For now, I’d be taking advice from the brains trust listed above.

Ive decided to go full into this -

Im getting the complete setup DJI - Goggles - Controller - Lumeneir - QAV-R 2 - seems to have top specs .

Also getting the Runcam5 and cover + strap

I will be using the simulator quite a fair bit before i fly.

Order has been placed though now just exited for it to arrive

Reactions: HighTechPauper
Ive decided to go full into this -

Im getting the complete setup DJI - Goggles - Controller - Lumeneir - QAV-R 2 - seems to have top specs .

Also getting the Runcam5 and cover + strap

I will be using the simulator quite a fair bit before i fly.

Order has been placed though now just exited for it to arrive
Well since you are taking it to the next level, don’t forget to add batteries, charger, tools, spare props, soldering iron etc. Have you got the Lumeneir kitted out with the DJI HD package?
Take it easy until you get the hang of it as repairs may be frequent.
Welcome to the addiction!

Reactions: HighTechPauper
Well since you are taking it to the next level, don’t forget to add batteries, charger, tools, spare props, soldering iron etc. Have you got the Lumeneir kitted out with the DJI HD package?
Take it easy until you get the hang of it as repairs may be frequent.
Welcome to the addiction!
I already own a soldering kit, heat gun.

getting 2 batteries and the charger with it its Built already, that way if i need to upgrade or change i can slowly warm into it as i do part update slowly, easier than diving into the deep end and building from dead scratch. But yeh ive seen builds i know i can do it but i specd out everything and it seems im only paying small amount more getting them to build it rather than myself.

I already own a soldering kit, heat gun.

getting 2 batteries and the charger with it its Built already, that way if i need to upgrade or change i can slowly warm into it as i do part update slowly, easier than diving into the deep end and building from dead scratch. But yeh ive seen builds i know i can do it but i specd out everything and it seems im only paying small amount more getting them to build it rather than myself.
Sounds like you’re all over it. Enjoy and ease yourself into it.

I recommend the vortex 180 bind and fly drone. It is a 4-inch drone that has a lot of on-screen display features, it's very cleanly built with no exposed wires, very simple, but very fast with the xNova Motors. You can certainly get started with this drone in a horizon or angle mode,, and then advance into Acro mode when you get better as the motors have enough power that you can get everything you want out of it. They are for sale for between 150 and $175 brand new. You may have to put a $25 receiver into it, I don't think it comes with it but it is a 5-minute easy job. And this is a drone that you can start with and have fun with for years. If you need parts for it they're cheap, if you want to upgrade the camera you can for about $40 and it's another job that takes about 10 or 15 minutes at most. I have the vortex 150, the 180, and the 230. I think the 180 is a great starter drone that again, will last you for some time.

Reactions: Jtrjr

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
darshan rajput