Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

First Build

Don't worry, it should be easy since it is a Spektrum FC and receiver.

Hope so. The on-line tutorial is designed around a different FC and older Spektrum receiver. I'm hoping that this is just not up to date. And that the auto-detect gets me where I need to be. When I was having trouble, I may have changed a few things?:confused:. But I maybe able to reload the Spektrum software on the FC and start over?. Think the correct URT on the FC is 5? Not sure at all about the rest. I hate comm's. I'm not good at them.

I'm getting ready to start a build myself. Planning to do about what you're doing. I have a question about your soldering. What iron are you using? I see that none of the ones I have are really suitable for this type work. I'm shopping for a station with variable temps.

Don't worry, it should be easy since it is a Spektrum FC and receiver.

Famous last words. :rolleyes:

Just when I was thinking that all hope was lost. The Good Lord smiled upon me today. :) I tried several different methods this morning attempting to get this project finished. All of them failed. So, as a last resort, I installed the "Slack App" onto my PC. And proceeded, once again, to ask for help. It only took a few minutes for a very nice gentleman by the name of "Ducky" to respond. After a couple quick text, Ducky figured out that I was a total newb. So he gave me his phone number and invited me to give him a call. 3 hours later - she's ready to fly. :D:D:D I know a lot of you guys are going to say - Raceflight o_O. But even though I really have nothing to compare, I think that RF will be just fine. Once again, I'm sure that "I" was my biggest problem. And the fact that I took on a very ambitious project with cutting edge technology / electronics with very little knowledge didn't play into my favor. There's the "I" again.

My biggest fear "still" is that, if I had to do the set-up again, I couldn't do it. Ducky is extremely knowledgeable about this stuff. And most of the time I was like a trained monkey. Just entering commands (in DOS) that Ducky dictated to me. I still have a little more work to do both before and after my first flight. But, at least now, I see a maiden in my near future.

Thank You theGreenOrange
Thank You Jerry
And Thank You Ducky of Oklahoma.

Reactions: Jtrjr
Finally - Build is complete. But the learning still has a long way to go. She hasn't had her maiden as of this pic. But everything is ready except for a freshly charged battery. And the nerves to take her out. Ducky set me up without any flight modes (accelerometer disabled). So first maiden will be All-Or-Nothing. Maiden report will follow soon.

IMG_0640.JPG

Looks great, Phoenix! Good luck with the maiden flight, keep her slow and low. You might need a little more camera tilt?

Ya first few flights will be slow. Figured that I will would work up to a more aggressive camera angle.

Thanks Jerry

Phoenix,

I'd love to see a couple of side views to see how you have your components installed. When's the maiden flight? Make sure you have someone get a video of the bird going up!

Jerry

Phoenix,

I'd love to see a couple of side views to see how you have your components installed. When's the maiden flight? Make sure you have someone get a video of the bird going up!

Jerry

Thanks Jerry. My current plans are to just get in a few LOS hovers with maybe some tight circuits first to get a feel of how she handles. I told the miss's that she would be wearing the goggles on the first flight. I'll take a few more pics so you can see different angles. But, to be honest, I'm not extremely proud of the final results of this build. Some of my solder joints are a little sloppy. And some of the wiring isn't as precise as I would have liked. I have a 430uF CAP installed on the right side to "hopefully" protect the FC from spikes since it is being powered directly from the battery. Even though it does match the color scheme, it looks a little awkward hanging out the side. But this has been a great learning experience. And I can always rebuild different components as I get better. I still need to get an HD camera and mount. Until then I'll just be flying FPV

Randy

Thanks theGreenOrange. The loom is a nice touch.

Green,

Since I have no real electronics experience and am therefore forced to learn everything "the hard way", (in layman's terms) what is a CAP and what does it do? Got lot's of "chrome" on a few of my bikes!

Thanks in advance,

Jerry

A capacitor, which stores charge like a battery. It is used in this case to smooth out slightly fluctuating dc voltage to a steady dc voltage. The most basic of filter circuits, the C filter. Then there is LC filter which also uses an inductor.

Yeah, I've read about people using these capacitors and LC filter but because I don't really understand basic electronics I guess it'll be a while before I know how to properly use them. Thanks for attempting to educate me.

Jerry

When you slam the stix's, it's possible to get voltage spikes from the esc's. The CAP hopefully will smooth out those spikes.

Yeah, I've read about people using these capacitors and LC filter but because I don't really understand basic electronics I guess it'll be a while before I know how to properly use them. Thanks for attempting to educate me.

Jerry
Just wire them to the battery input.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adax