Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Finishing touches questions....hot glue and water proofing

spiderpig

Reaction score
So I'm finishing on a building a quad that I've been working on upgrading and wanted to secure all the connections and water proof it as much as possible. The quad flew great until it landed in a mud puddle a couple weeks back that fried some of the components. So want to make it better this time.

Question is, I know people use hot glue to secure the connections, but if I'm applying the Corrosion X for waterproofing - will that secure it as well? Or should I hot glue first then use Corrosion X? I don't mind using both..but didn't know it was more of an overkill. Trying to keep weight light if possible.

What are your thoughts on Corrosion X on the motors? I've seen some youtube videos that say do it, and others that say don't. Still haven't gotten there yet but want to prepare.

Spider,

I've been researching waterproofing for some time now as well. I have made the decision to go with a Silicone Conformal. I should be receiving mine today, both an aerosol and a liquid brush-on type. I'm also getting a black light flashlight that can be used to determine if spots were missed. This appears to be the method that "those in the know" are utilizing. One of the concerns is if you need to replace a component that is already soldered and the soldered connection has already been treated. This product allows for the removal and reapplication of the conformal. After my "pool drop" the other day and the fact that the only damage that appears to have been done is to the FPV camera I'm not sure how necessary the process is. I'm going to do it anyway because I think it will still help. Here's the products I'm going to be using: MG Chemicals Silicone Conformal Coating, 12 oz Aerosol: Soldering Cleaning Products: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific and MG Chemicals Silicone Modified Conformal Coating, 55 ml Glass Bottle, with Brush Cap: Soldering Cleaning Products: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Jerry

Jerry,

Here's the stuff I saw when looking at videos online:

I'm hoping to finish testing on Zero Cool (180 quad) this weekend and wanted to waterproof it after that. My 210 quad is coming along nicely and this weekend should be nice to test it.

The blacklight idea sounds good too. I have one that came with my luminal kit. So will use that as well. What are you thoughts about weather to do the motors or not?

Spider,

As far as I know, there shouldn't be any reason to do the motors, the motors will actually run underwater.

Jerry

IMG_0207.JPG IMG_0208.JPG I may try this on all electronics and motors on my Eachine Wizard. Going to do a little more research. Wondering if this would cause a lack of cooling? Rudy in "still cold" NB Canada.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax