Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Filming

Nickperry92

Reaction score
Right, I’ve been looking for weeks and my brain is about to melt! I’m looking to get a drone for film work and love the look of a go pro on a racing drone, so all I want to know is which drone, goggles and what not I will need to make some amazing footage with my go pro and how much that will cost me. Many thanks guys

Depends on the size of your budget as there are dozens of options out there for you.

My first go pro set up was an Eachine wizard x220 that came rtf with goggles and transmitter. The goggles were junk so I grabbed a set of fatshark dominator v3. All up cost for that setup was around $700.

These days if I want to run my go pro, I’ll strap it onto a Emax Hawk 5 and use my Taranis QX7S transmitter. Cost for that setup is around $500 not including the goggles.

With the release of the DJI fpv HD goggles and air units, the days of go pros being stuck on quads is being challenged. Currently waiting on the postman to deliver an Iflight DC3 and DJI goggles which I’m hoping will make strap on cameras a thing of the past. Cost for that bad boy is around $1300 (AUD) which sounds expensive but for those beans it’s actually a more cost effective option than the latest fatshark goggles, receivers and the quad which is basically set up and ready to go. The footage I’ve seen so far is exceptional and recording quality is not that far short of a go pro, not to mention the superior range over analogue. You still need a transmitter so if I was starting from scratch, I’d be looking at $1600 and I’m good to go.

Depends on the size of your budget as there are dozens of options out there for you.

My first go pro set up was an Eachine wizard x220 that came rtf with goggles and transmitter. The goggles were junk so I grabbed a set of fatshark dominator v3. All up cost for that setup was around $700.

These days if I want to run my go pro, I’ll strap it onto a Emax Hawk 5 and use my Taranis QX7S transmitter. Cost for that setup is around $500 not including the goggles.

With the release of the DJI fpv HD goggles and air units, the days of go pros being stuck on quads is being challenged. Currently waiting on the postman to deliver an Iflight DC3 and DJI goggles which I’m hoping will make strap on cameras a thing of the past. Cost for that bad boy is around $1300 (AUD) which sounds expensive but for those beans it’s actually a more cost effective option than the latest fatshark goggles, receivers and the quad which is basically set up and ready to go. The footage I’ve seen so far is exceptional and recording quality is not that far short of a go pro, not to mention the superior range over analogue. You still need a transmitter so if I was starting from scratch, I’d be looking at $1600 and I’m good to go.
Christ! That’s a lot to process! My budget is kinda like the $800 mark, and it would be my first racing drone so I’m not sure whether to go straight for a good drone or get a cheap one for practice, thanks for the advice

Christ! That’s a lot to process! My budget is kinda like the $800 mark, and it would be my first racing drone so I’m not sure whether to go straight for a good drone or get a cheap one for practice, thanks for the advice
Not sure where you live but that’s Australian dollars, if you’re in the US it’s a better outlook. Whatever you decide, a tip given to me early in the piece was to invest the money in your goggles and a good transmitter. Regardless of what quad you decide on, you need to be able to control and see the critters! For $800 US you can get a pretty good package together including a good 5” quad that will carry your go pro.
And just to confuse you some more, you can grab a Taranis QX7 Tx, a set of Eachine EV800 goggles without breaking the bank and buy a mobula 7 HD for example that has an onboard DVR which does a reasonable job of recording video. Great little learner if your starting out and you see where you want to go with the addiction/hobby. The majority of my quads all run on the same controller and goggle setup, so it’s a one of purchase in that respect.

Reactions: Nickperry92
Not sure where you live but that’s Australian dollars, if you’re in the US it’s a better outlook. Whatever you decide, a tip given to me early in the piece was to invest the money in your goggles and a good transmitter. Regardless of what quad you decide on, you need to be able to control and see the critters! For $800 US you can get a pretty good package together including a good 5” quad that will carry your go pro.
And just to confuse you some more, you can grab a Taranis QX7 Tx, a set of Eachine EV800 goggles without breaking the bank and buy a mobula 7 HD for example that has an onboard DVR which does a reasonable job of recording video. Great little learner if your starting out and you see where you want to go with the addiction/hobby. The majority of my quads all run on the same controller and goggle setup, so it’s a one of purchase in that respect.
Right so let me get this straight! ? if you were starting out you would get a Taranis QX7 Tx, a set of Eachine EV800 goggles and a mobula 7 HD? I live in the UK so that was in American dollars. Would you say it’s a steep learning curve and I’ll break the drone a lot?

Whilst I remember if you were going to use your hawk 5 and teranis transmitter what goggles would you use with that?

Right so let me get this straight! ? if you were starting out you would get a Taranis QX7 Tx, a set of Eachine EV800 goggles and a mobula 7 HD? I live in the UK so that was in American dollars. Would you say it’s a steep learning curve and I’ll break the drone a lot?
Well I got the vibe that this may be your first tilt at flying freestyle quads and that my first numbers scared you! The dollars I threw up there were a reflection of my own experience given that I wasted money getting to where I am now.
It is a steep learning curve with respect to tooling up for the experience with the gear you need to rebuild/repair your quad as you WILL crash and have to muck around with your quad. However once you get the hang of it and you WILL, it flogs the semi autonomous 4K drones.
There are other SD card carrying quads out there and the mobula is one of a few that are doing the rounds, but I found that I started small before I spent reasonable money on getting my kit sorted. A good transmitter and reasonable goggles are essential. I have a reasonable number of quads, the latest being (before the digital gear turns up) a beta fpv HX115 HD that in my opinion churns out good video and is extremely fast and agile. Not for people starting out in the hobby, hence the reference to the mobula which is a better learning HD recording quad.
$800 US will get you over the line comfortably for getting started, binge watch reviews on those three areas of fpv and use the search engine on this forum for other opinions. Quite a few people suggesting a Taranis QX7, EV 800 and an emax tinyhawk as a starters package.

Reactions: Futuramille
Whilst I remember if you were going to use your hawk 5 and teranis transmitter what goggles would you use with that?
I’m running a set of fatshark v3 dominators. A little bit old school but still very capable. You need to buy a diversity module to get the most out of them. There are newer fatshark goggles out there that run OLED as opposed to LCD but the numbers are getting big and when you factor in diversity modules, antennas, we are talking a reasonable investment. That’s why I’m trying out the DJI digital goggles with their air unit. That‘s another story...
If you want to run 5”, the hawk 5 is a screamer and can carry a go pro with ease, if its your first quad, be gentle..

Reactions: Futuramille

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax