Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Favourite Antennas

Wayno52

Reaction score
Hi all, just wondering what your favourite Antennas are on both quads and goggles.
I am not hugely happy with my goggles set up at the moment and wondering what you all run and recommend?
Currently I run lumenier axii on my quads and have the hdo's with a true d X module paired with a Vas Ion RHCP and a TBS Triumph.
I run this because I tend to fly behind myself a fair bit.
Thoughts?

Reactions: HighTechPauper
I’ve got an older set of dom v3 goggles which run a True D Diversity set up. I was out yesterday at the local lark flying a baby hawk r pro, a turbobee 120rs and a HX115 HD back to back (observing social distance of course and essential travel etc....). The babyhawk has a an AXii stubby and flew like a champ with good range as did the the turbobee; the HX was an absolute pig as I just couldn’t dial in a channel that let me run anymore than a 100 mtrs. All three running at 200mW in the same location. As soon as I snuck behind one of the buildings with the HX, boom, static pretty much ended the flight. Of course I expect breakup with buildings, trees (particularly wet leaves at the moment) but the other two did pretty well. I’ve spoken to ole mate (Grant) about my set up and he said that the gear I’m running is fine for what it is and unless I wanted to spend up big with the latest Fatshark/ module/antennas, this was as good as it was going to get.
I’m open to suggestions for antennas if there is something out here that is an obvious improvement.
D24794B5-CBDD-4B07-B6F4-3A2C5BF61EEA.jpeg

We get shmegma in vid behind thick trees.. you anticipate it and fly through.
I'm not making excuses but its a part of FPV life. You plan your flight to not only the air space but the FPV capabilities.
I have a buddy that flies long distance and dives BIG ROCKS in Arizona 3000 meter or more. its gonna get scratch, its gonna cut out on places.. just anticipate and fly through those areas. its actually a drama fest to do it.. added adrenaline pump to what is already stringent just flying.
Trust your gear and fly through the weekness knowing you'll come out.
have an auto level switch and then punch out if the vid goes south on you.

We get shmegma in vid behind thick trees.. you anticipate it and fly through.
I'm not making excuses but its a part of FPV life. You plan your flight to not only the air space but the FPV capabilities.
I have a buddy that flies long distance and dives BIG ROCKS in Arizona 3000 meter or more. its gonna get scratch, its gonna cut out on places.. just anticipate and fly through those areas. its actually a drama fest to do it.. added adrenaline pump to what is already stringent just flying.
Trust your gear and fly through the weekness knowing you'll come out.
have an auto level switch and then punch out if the vid goes south on you.
Yeah I certainly understand the issues with flying through scraggle and after re reading my post, I was probably doing a comparison between three different quads and their set ups with the same goggles. I live on a heavily wooded block and fly around a steel house from a steel shed. Certainly not expecting stellar performance when compared to an open field, but surprised that the little turbobee smokes the others. Equally surprised at how bad the HX is given that’s its new, haven’t crashed it and it’s range is appalling. May see if I can retrofit an AXii to it and see if that improves it.
Not wishing to dilute @Wayno52 original post but if I can improve the setup with the goggles, that could certainly help.

Yeah, I spoke with Grant as well and he said the same to me. I sent him a video and he actually said it was pretty good.
Just always open for suggestions on it as I know things continue to improve.
I don't expect perfection just thought it could possibly be slightly better.
Cheers all, be safe.
Just sent an email looking for another opinion/options with another crew and see how that flies. I’ll let you know if it’s anything groundbreaking.
Got my GTB 339 yesterday so I’ll be setting that up and probably crash it later....

Awesome buddy, you will love the 339.
Just a couple of things wth it.
It doesn't come with the front stand off installed but is in the box.
Very tight to get the rx in it.
I straight away put the lumenier axii micro in it so not sure how it is with stock.
You will need to unlock vtx to get 200mw.
No rssi.
Probably stuff you already know I'm sure but just a note.
What rx are you going with?

Awesome buddy, you will love the 339.
Just a couple of things wth it.
It doesn't come with the front stand off installed but is in the box.
Very tight to get the rx in it.
I straight away put the lumenier axii micro in it so not sure how it is with stock.
You will need to unlock vtx to get 200mw.
No rssi.
Probably stuff you already know I'm sure but just a note.
What rx are you going with?
Just fitted an xm+, tight fit but just finished setting it up for a quick flight.
Going to fit the front standoff now that I’m finished in Betaflight and see how we go. I’ve unlocked the vtx and I’ll see if it laps the house like the little turbobee, I didn’t realise how small it is and will see if I can find room somewhere for the included beeper.
If you don’t hear back from me, I’ll be up a tree in the yard trying to fish it out .

Oh and that thing gets super hot while programming it so definitely use a fan.
Well a quick flight (about to rain again) and I’m liking it. Cut a lap of the house and no worries. Pretty sure there is a bardwell video about configuring RSSI when it’s not pre configured. I don’t really use it and just watch the image and look for a spot to punch out if it gets ugly. Had some spare antenna tubes to tidy up the look a bit, so all is good so far. The tune out of the box is fine and even in acro, it’s predictable. 16812EAF-ED25-4FCF-8A61-2A21042691C6.jpeg

Well as long as you are in a tree then social distancing shouldn't be an issue.
Good luck buddy, let us know how it goes.
I'm taking a couple of rods and can and gonna try to catch dinner at Mindarie.?
Actually I’m trying to get an answer as to whether I can head to the beach with my Alvey setup. Guaranteed there won’t be another soul on the beach but I don’t want to cop a fine (pun intended).
Good luck with getting a meal, given that not many people are out there, there has be a ton of fish sitting around playing cards waiting for you!

Hmmmm, I know we can fish here no fines. I would think you would be the same?
That’s what I was thinking, the wife is suggesting essential travel only. I guess fishing for my dinner is essential..... and having a beer on a deserted beach is good for my mental well being.

Well I went out hoping to get a pinky, I wasn't totally disappointed.
I did get one and he was also a toothpick.

View attachment 4107
Wow man, at least you were doing something that a pile of others can only dream of. I’ve got a 45k trip to salmon beach, I’ve got the bait, fuel in the car and the need to see the ocean. Might give it a run tomorrow or Saturday. Had a great flight just now, got the RSSI working (aux 12), clipped a tree and binned it and forgot to turn on the record button on the goggles. I’ll take what I can get.
Fishing it is, good on you!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax