Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Favorite build dies again

rtkDarling

Reaction score
Today, while I'm trying to build confidence in my new favorite rig (the one I've been flying over the ocean) it died in mid air. Get it home and finally get the Hellgate to shut up (I've been listening to it beep for over half an hour) and now we're to the fun part: figuring out what the heck happened. The FC works when I plug a USB in, but when I plug in a battery the lights just flicker and I get no final tones. I'm assuming I lost the 5v rail on the ESC, but I thought the FC handled that?

I'm too angry to work on it now, I just pulled the hellgate and threw the whole thing in the closet. I have a spare ESC (which I'm hoping is the problem) but I'm wondering if there's anything else I can test for before I go and resolder all the motors.

Really heartbroken on this one, but it could have been worse: like I said, I've been putting it over water. I mean, I guess this is why we test them, but I really thought this one was past the testing stages, and I've been flying it farther and farther away.

I don't understand why I can't make a reliable rig!!!! I'm using good parts, I don't see anything wrong with it, just dies on me.

I think when we deal with the parts in these rigs that reliability is a fallacy. They do not go through rigorous QC or burn in to test for failures, and if they did they would cost double what we pay for them. I think there is a good bit of ESD damage that can be done to these parts since we don't practice good ESD measures when we build, most people don't realize it, but ESD rarely outright kills something, instead it weakens it to the point that it will fail some time later. Also when we build 6s rigs with 6s components, they are truly running to the 100% mark, and that is usually a recipe for failure.

Which stack was it you used? I want to research where the 5v is made. If the harness has VBat coming up to the FC then the 5v regulator is on the FC, but if the harness has 5V and ground coming up it then the 5v reg is on the ESC.

Let me know if I can help bud, and sorry :(

That's true about ESD huh, and the 5v power management seems to be what goes for me the most often. Remember when I posted that on RR and like 95% of the community laughed? I was like "gosh, not a lot of PC builders in here huh? :) " The ESC is an HGLRC Dinoshot, and the FC is a PyroF4, I'll check the wiring diagram again to see where I'm pulling 5v from. I just got a bottle of conformal, and I wanted to do my next build with it. Maybe I'll try some gloves too, just for giggles.

Thanks brother

Reactions: Jtrjr and Wayno52
Best thing you can do is make a rig to plug into the ground prong on one of your receptacles at the house, strip the end of the wire and touch it before grabbing any electronics, that will dissipate any charge on you before it can harm the electronics. If you have an old 3 prong power cord you are not using, pull the 2 flat prongs out using pliers and then cut the other end off and strip the green wire and do a continuity check to see that you have it right. Then just plug it into the ground on the receptacle and touch everything metal, like screw drivers and pliers and cutters to it before working with them, you can even wrap it around your wrist while working on things.

What about this, think it's a rip off?

I forgot to mention, I normally fly on 5s, but I had one 6s charged because I'm low on reliable batteries. That 6 is what did me in... My Rush Tank says it's 8s capable, I wonder if I can find some 8s ESCs / PDB that will fit on a normal rig (as opposed to an x-class) I would totally pay a premium to get parts that I can trust. The other option I suppose is get some higher KV motors and stick mostly to 4s on 6s rated parts.

Last edited:
Look into the Radix FC and PDB, it is 8s rated, they ain't cheap but they are good, and they really stand behind them well. For ESC's tho, that is a tough one. They don't really make any 8s except for individuals that I know of, but individuals have a number of benefits over a 4in1, reliability being one of them, and cheaper to replace one than to have to replace them all. If you were to run a Spedix for example, I think you would find them pretty bulletproof.

What about this, think it's a rip
It is a bit rich, but it looks perfect, that would be the ideal for a home kit, but $30 is just a bit too high for it. I didn’t even know they made that plug in with only the ground pin connected so that is a good idea, but I think you can make something good enough out of an old power cable or extension cord. If I did a lot of building I would probably spring for it though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax