Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Fatshark Dominator V3 Upgrade Questions

DavidKersting

Reaction score
So, headed back from LOS to FPV for a bit. Im using the fatshark Dominator V3 standard package
1542238191202.png
Same mushroom antenna on the goggles. Built a new ZMR250 and put this setup on the drone.....ya not pretty, still playing.
1542238787212.png
Willing to sink another few bucks into FPV transmission/reception. This set up is so so inside 100 yrds and Im spooked outside of that for reception loss, even in open areas,,,,want better. Dual antennas? Change of item placement comments are also welcome. tried to keep interference low but....ya, the rookie in me re-appears. Need the experts to line me out as usual.

Reactions: HighTechPauper
So, headed back from LOS to FPV for a bit. Im using the fatshark Dominator V3 standard package
View attachment 2817
Same mushroom antenna on the goggles. Built a new ZMR250 and put this setup on the drone.....ya not pretty, still playing.
View attachment 2818
Willing to sink another few bucks into FPV transmission/reception. This set up is so so inside 100 yrds and Im spooked outside of that for reception loss, even in open areas,,,,want better. Dual antennas? Change of item placement comments are also welcome. tried to keep interference low but....ya, the rookie in me re-appears. Need the experts to line me out as usual.
I have the same problem as yourself, range issues with the domv3 goggles with a single oled module antenna setup. Upgraded the Vtx to a TS5823L on a x220. Going to fit a 1000uF 35v low esr cap to see if that helps with the crap static signal at 100 mtrs in a clear open space. Hope you don’t mind me jumping on board to see if we can get a ‘two for one’ deal happening.

Hmmm, I need to pull the tape from my Vtx to see what I initially bought. I also bought the 5 pack of 1000uF 35V caps. Everyone I talked to said they work great to reduce the static.. Im probably the only one on earth to state that when I soldered one on to my battery terminals the static actually got worse. I removed it and verified static was better without it. Don't rely on my results though, the caps are cheap and everyone other than me raves about them.
Im pushing to hand a wish list to the wife for Christmas gift so have to pass on the 2 for 1 idea, but please stay in touch on success/failure for your trials, as will I.

why not just upgrade to rapid fire diversity module and be done with it?
i personally use furious fpv true D but if i was to buy new, I'd get the rapid fire.
ive not yet found the edges of my setup running 200mW from the tbs unify VTX's... about 500yrd in the open so far. add a tree between and that range goes down quick.
15422970945704313117142759116308.jpg

heres a vid i posted from the FS V3 dvr just to show what we fly through and this is never more than 150yrds out on the home course, we just fly through it. lots of trees ( ;

Last edited:
Hmmm, I need to pull the tape from my Vtx to see what I initially bought. I also bought the 5 pack of 1000uF 35V caps. Everyone I talked to said they work great to reduce the static.. Im probably the only one on earth to state that when I soldered one on to my battery terminals the static actually got worse. I removed it and verified static was better without it. Don't rely on my results though, the caps are cheap and everyone other than me raves about them.
Im pushing to hand a wish list to the wife for Christmas gift so have to pass on the 2 for 1 idea, but please stay in touch on success/failure for your trials, as will I.
Well I’m about to find out if the cap helps a bit, I’ll probably get the polarity wrong and take out the house and the cat with my efforts. As for the two for one reference, I was thinking how a local phrase would fly in other parts of the world... cheers

why not just upgrade to rapid fire diversity module and be done with it?
i personally use furious fpv true D but if i was to buy new, I'd get the rapid fire.
ive not yet found the edges of my setup running 200mW from the tbs unify VTX's... about 500yrd in the open so far. add a tree between and that range goes down quick.
View attachment 2820

heres a vid i posted from the FS V3 dvr just to show what we fly through and this is never more than 150yrds out on the home course, we just fly through it. lots of trees ( ;
Ok, I’ll have a look at what the suppliers have over my way and run with your idea. Was hoping you might reply as your videos clearly show you can see where you’re going, whereas I wouldn’t make it to the first tree...
Thanks again.

OK so,,,,,,150 bucks for the rapid fire diversity module, add the patch antenna + mushroom for ~34 bucks (leave my standard mushroom antenna on the drone).....that what your saying basically?

good news is all the $$ are on my head, not the drone......I seem to go through drones faster than the goggles for some reason.

IMO, there's nothing more worthy of extra expence in this flying hobbie than
FPV Goggles/ground station, Transmitter, battery charger, soldering iron etc.
If it doesn't fly it doesn't crash ( :
and potentially improves every drone you have!

Last edited:
I agree about the rapid fire module, but for half the price you just can’t beat the Furious True-D.

Last edited:
Reactions: Futuramille
Hmmmm. good?
1542414142239.png
200 bones is a bit more than I hoped for........but have learned typically ya get what ya pay for. So, if yes, my head gear would be good. For the drone, still using the stock Dom V3 setup as pictured in earlier part of chain....OK? If Im going in, Im going all the way......assuming my wife lets me.. HA. Just bought her a pricey gift...should be good...HA again.

Attachments

• 1542413923146.png
    1542413923146.png
    42.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 1542414109828.png
    1542414109828.png
    285.4 KB · Views: 7
Dear MR HiTecPauper.................if you were me what would you buy. Aint rich. aint poor. True D or Rapid fire. I credit you for knowing your (S**T) stuff. My sponsers wont pay for this if you know what I mean. This whole chain basically tells my status. Thoughts?

I love my True D and I'm not replacing it. I was just saying.. my trueD is a year old or more. it was "best available" at the time!!!
TrueD works awesome everyday and no equipment excuses. get the best you can.

If, IF i bought a new HDO for Xmas, Id get the Rapid Fire.
One note, In bardwells recent tests of available modules, the furious true D almost won.
check this and the results ... he gets pretty windy about it but great info.
heres the "results". good info at least

I love Bardwell and voted in this pole as I hope others got to enjoy as well. very cool open test.. I want this guys job!

Last edited:
I love my True D and I'm not replacing it. I was just saying.. my trueD is a year old or more. it was "best available" at the time!!!
TrueD works awesome everyday and no equipment excuses. get the best you can.

If, IF i bought a new HDO for Xmas, Id get the Rapid Fire.
One note, In bardwells recent tests of available modules, the furious true D almost won.
check this and the results ... he gets pretty windy about it but great info.
heres the "results". good info at least

I love Bardwell and voted in this pole as I hope others got to enjoy as well. very cool open test.. I want this guys job!
Sorry to hijack this thread again but after finding the pricing for the rapid fire diversity modules to be in the late AUD $200’s, I’m going with the true D unit and matching LHCP spironet mini patch to go with the current setup on my V3 goggles for roughly AUD $160. I can’t afford to lose my remaining kidney, my daughter starts uni soon and I have to live long enough to pay that crap off.

Its a good thread Tevec and this is a truly expensive part of the game. FS+TrueD works everyday for me around here.. literally! you can't go wrong with it.
Im always gonna sing out, "get the best you can"

edit: GENERALLY SPEAKING: you'll replace cheap equipment if you fall in love (you will) with fpv quad flying and if you know there's better views available, you'll buy twice! don't ask me how I know.

Last edited:
Its a good thread Tevec and this is a truly expensive part of the game. FS+TrueD works everyday for me around here.. literally! you can't go wrong with it.
Im always gonna sing out, "get the best you can"
Cheers for the moral support...the wife will still give me the squinting look when I mouth words like drones, therapy and ‘at least I don’t gamble’.
Thanks again

Dear MR HiTecPauper.................if you were me what would you buy. Aint rich. aint poor. True D or Rapid fire. I credit you for knowing your (S**T) stuff. My sponsers wont pay for this if you know what I mean. This whole chain basically tells my status. Thoughts?

I don’t have first hand experience with the Rapidfire module but... as Futura said above, the True-D came very close to winning JB’s tests, and here in the US the RF is 150 and out of stock, the TD is 79 and in stock. That’s being said I think the RF will ever so slightly outperform the TD and if you plan to fly bandos the RF should give slightly better penetration. When I got my new HDO’s though, I got a second TD instead of the RF as I just can’t
pass up 98% of the performance for about half price. If I had a real need I would have splurged and gone for the unknown RF instead of the known TD. IMHO

Sorry to hijack this thread again but after finding the pricing for the rapid fire diversity modules to be in the late AUD $200’s, I’m going with the true D unit and matching LHCP spironet mini patch to go with the current setup on my V3 goggles for roughly AUD $160. I can’t afford to lose my remaining kidney, my daughter starts uni soon and I have to live long enough to pay that crap off.

Hey @tevek, going with LHCP is fine, just make SURE that all your antennas are LHCP, if you get a RHCP somewhere in the mix your video will be poop. Here most (99%) are running RHCP and only get an LHCP set if they are racing/flying with others often, and then having the choice of swapping out to LHCP can increase the rejection from others signals, but with 20MHz+ between frequencies there is no issue with everyone running RHCP. That being said, LHCP can be hard to find sometimes as not everyone makes both flavors, although it is becoming more common nowadays. Just a slight warning so you make the right choices here. Best regards Randy (HTP)

Hey @tevek, going with LHCP is fine, just make SURE that all your antennas are LHCP, if you get a RHCP somewhere in the mix your video will be poop. Here most (99%) are running RHCP and only get an LHCP set if they are racing/flying with others often, and then having the choice of swapping out to LHCP can increase the rejection from others signals, but with 20MHz+ between frequencies there is no issue with everyone running RHCP. That being said, LHCP can be hard to find sometimes as not everyone makes both flavors, although it is becoming more common nowadays. Just a slight warning so you make the right choices here. Best regards Randy (HTP)
Cheers for the info and heads up. When I bought this current set up and started messing around with it, my usual supplier had them in stock so I grabbed a matching set and have been using them for a couple of months. Probably silly given my other quad is RHCP but I have one for flying at work and the other for flying, crashing and rebuilding and learning fpv. Again, I appreciate your advice and if ever I get confident enough to post up some footage, I will. At the moment all I have are scenes of destruction albeit less and less as I burn through batteries!

Cheers for the info and heads up. When I bought this current set up and started messing around with it, my usual supplier had them in stock so I grabbed a matching set and have been using them for a couple of months. Probably silly given my other quad is RHCP but I have one for flying at work and the other for flying, crashing and rebuilding and learning fpv. Again, I appreciate your advice and if ever I get confident enough to post up some footage, I will. At the moment all I have are scenes of destruction albeit less and less as I burn through batteries!

That is where we all start at Tevek, destruction and mayhem, you are right on track to become an FPV pilot for sure. [emoji6]

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax