Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

FAA at it again, get ready for UAS ID

@Roadking: I think you did not read the NPRM. It will not be allowed to buy a module and clip it on your quad. The entire system is the UAS and that means from the radio to the quadcopter, everything needs to be compliant with the rules. And EVERY aircraft that people want to fly, after these rules go into effect, need to be accepted from the FAA. The best you can hope for your Phantom is that the FAA accepts it as a Limited RID UAS. If they don't do it, you can throw it into the trash or fly at a FRIA.
Costs are another big issue. And of course privacy.
If you dream about BVLOS then you should know that this would be very expansive, because the requirements would be very high.
This NPRM is just not fair. If you would put the same restrictions on cars and guns we would have a revolution. But cars and guns are the real danger, not UAS. The proposed rules don't make it safer, they only make rules enforceable.

@Roadking: I think you did not read the NPRM. It will not be allowed to buy a module and clip it on your quad. The entire system is the UAS and that means from the radio to the quadcopter, everything needs to be compliant with the rules. And EVERY aircraft that people want to fly, after these rules go into effect, need to be accepted from the FAA. The best you can hope for your Phantom is that the FAA accepts it as a Limited RID UAS. If they don't do it, you can throw it into the trash or fly at a FRIA.
Costs are another big issue. And of course privacy.
If you dream about BVLOS then you should know that this would be very expansive, because the requirements would be very high.
This NPRM is just not fair. If you would put the same restrictions on cars and guns we would have a revolution. But cars and guns are the real danger, not UAS. The proposed rules don't make it safer, they only make rules enforceable.

I understand that, but think it would be better to submit very specific input that is rational.

If the intent of the new regulations is to be able to (1)identify where a drone is, (2)who is flying it and (3)how to contact that person, then a reasonable request would be to allow some sort of clip-on transmitter that is fully approved by the FAA that provides that information. It would enable the control over air traffic/security while at the same time not place an unfair burden on sUAS pilots.

I think that in the 3 to 5 years before any final implementation, the technology to develop such a clip-on device at a reasonable price may be feasible.

So my question is, IF the regulations permitted that, would there still be objections?

I agree, but the FAA is under the influence of the Commercial Drone Alliance, etc. They want to get us out of the airspace. There are other, and what I think, better ways to enhance safety. A technology like FLARM (look it up on Wikipedia) could be developed.
BTW, the proposed rules are no guaranty that the registered pilot is really on the control of the UAS. Did you ever hear about stolen vehicles?

That is why we need to fight this NPRM. Our best advocate is xjet (Bruce Simpson):

I understand that, but think it would be better to submit very specific input that is rational.

If the intent of the new regulations is to be able to (1)identify where a drone is, (2)who is flying it and (3)how to contact that person, then a reasonable request would be to allow some sort of clip-on transmitter that is fully approved by the FAA that provides that information. It would enable the control over air traffic/security while at the same time not place an unfair burden on sUAS pilots.

I think that in the 3 to 5 years before any final implementation, the technology to develop such a clip-on device at a reasonable price may be feasible.

So my question is, IF the regulations permitted that, would there still be objections?
There would be no objections from me, but unfortunately the NPRM is written another way.

Please watch the videos. Bruce has some very good points, especially how to "submit very specific input that is rational."

Well guys this hasn’t been that big of topic here but is in
some of the other forums. This stuff affects all.
This happened Friday but from another article I read the FAA told all employees to just be off that day.
Heres a link to a new thread you might find interesting
or not but here it is. Was just started in Mavic.

Reactions: HighTechPauper
Saw that a bit ago ?

Reactions: HighTechPauper
I think you don't understand what is coming.

Maybe some of you can live with the restrictions of RID, but there is one more important point for the racing community. You have to throw all your quadcopters above 250g (0.55 lbs) into the trash!!! You are not allowed to fly them any longer if this NPRM goes into effect.

If you don’t believe it, read the NPRM chapter XIII (page 150). The problem is that the typical quadcopter that we are flying today does not comply with the new rules. You have to buy new quadcopters. If you buy a kit, no modifications are allowed. If you think you can build an Amateur-built UAS than you need to know that it is almost impossible to fulfill the rules and very expansive.

We need to fight this NPRM. Get active now and reply to the FAA. And write your representatives in Congress and Senate.

but how n they “stop “ us from using them
Will they have people on the ground everywhere?

but how n they “stop “ us from using them
Will they have people on the ground everywhere?
Really don't know unless folks post YT's of them flying or someone turns them in.
All it is at this moment is a proposal and we really don't know what will turn out till the end of the process.

Reactions: Stoked4
Really don't know unless folks post YT's of them flying or someone turns them in.
All it is at this moment is a proposal and we really don't know what will turn out till the end of the process.
All we can do is keep on flying and not do anything stupid

Now that the comment period is closed, EVERYBODY, AND I MEAN EVERYBODY needs to get off their ( Mod Removed )and get their local congress people and state senators involved and also keep tabs on RDQ;s proposed lawsuit against the FAA, what I CANT STAND ARE THE WHINY CRY BABIES WHO POST THAT IT'S GAME OVER OR POST "I,M JUST GONNA SELL MY STUFF" THAT IS THE WRONG ATTITUDE, IF ANYONE WANTS TO HAVE THAT ATTITUDE GET THE ( Mod Removed ) OUT OF THE WAY OF THOSE OF US WILLING TO FIGHT FOR THIS HOBBY, THAT'S HOW I FEEL AND IF ANYONE DOESN'T LIKE IT....................TOUGH ( Mod Removed )....ITS TIME TO FIGHT......................53,000 COMMENTS WAS A JOKE, THE ONLY WAY WE WIN THIS IS THROUGH CIVIL DISOBEDIENCE AND LAW SUITS IN COURT, SO WHO IS GONNA STEP UP ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
darshan rajput