Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Excellent places to fly, from noobs to advanced

Would you pay admission to FPV Fly/Race your drone?

• Total voters
I think the best business will be conducted something like how DRL does it. Besides, every town has some huge abandon mall or warehouse that some owner would love to make a little cash off of. The plus side to that would be the ability to travel to different places. More opportunity for different people to spend money - enjoy your services. Just one of the negative sides to that would be the logistics of setting up a weekend event in an abandon facility. I'm sure that it could be done though.

I still think that the business is out there right now. I think all that someone would really need to get the ball rolling would be access to a cow pasture close to a large town. And a little cash to rent facilities like port-a-potties and such. I'm sure that local roach-coach people would jump at the opportunity to make a sale.
Sounds good. All it ever takes to have a go is a vision and focus. You could investigate and explore different opportunities and see how you go. A couple of relationships with people and suppliers could turn into a great living for you.
I discovered a local hobby shop here who doesn't even have an online presence...

Hey, that is a good idea!

Yeah it would work well. They already have a skate shop ect. If you had one close by you may be able to simply make a deal to man the store and use some shelf space ect. Sometimes you don't need much money to create opportunity...
Run an online store from there and see how the drone days go. Its always an idea to try to position yourself so you can keep the balls in your court also. It may turn out to be a great thing that you can take in your own direction..

Sounds good. All it ever takes to have a go is a vision and focus. You could investigate and explore different opportunities and see how you go. A couple of relationships with people and suppliers could turn into a great living for you.
I discovered a local hobby shop here who doesn't even have an online presence...

Well it's really just a pipe dream for me. I personally don't think I have the ability to make this happen. I would definitely do my best to attend if something like this were to take place. I was getting ready to attend one of the Fun-Fly events last summer in southern Missouri. But I let a heart attack get in the way. At least I'm still here. So maybe next year.

Reactions: cavalleydude
Well it's really just a pipe dream for me. I personally don't think I have the ability to make this happen. I would definitely do my best to attend if something like this were to take place. I was getting ready to attend one of the Fun-Fly events last summer in southern Missouri. But I let a heart attack get in the way. At least I'm still here. So maybe next year.

Oh dude, we have something in common... yeah man, I was 47 and in decent shape! It can happen to anyone. Maybe a pipe dream, but it's fun to think about, lol. I've been charging batteries all day, waiting to go out again tomorrow with my son and do some more flying at the park. We had the perfect empty warehouse (an old Lowes Building Supply, like Home Depot) that sat empty for many years, I wanted to make it an indoor airsoft battle ground, with old tanks, planes, etc. It's now a huge grocery store, but I know there are more around ready to be repurposed into an FPV FlyZone... it's a more viable dream :), you never know.

Oh dude, we have something in common... yeah man, I was 47 and in decent shape! It can happen to anyone. Maybe a pipe dream, but it's fun to think about, lol. I've been charging batteries all day, waiting to go out again tomorrow with my son and do some more flying at the park. We had the perfect empty warehouse (an old Lowes Building Supply, like Home Depot) that sat empty for many years, I wanted to make it an indoor airsoft battle ground, with old tanks, planes, etc. It's now a huge grocery store, but I know there are more around ready to be repurposed into an FPV FlyZone... it's a more viable dream :), you never know.

Yep - Quadruple Bypass. I started feeling bad a couple years earlier. So I started trying to get healthy. I was running a 10 minute mile two weeks before the incident. I think it saved my life.

There isn't a lot of these types of events going on in my area (Central Arkansas). I've been wanting to go to a Heli Fly-In for the past couple of years. But the closest (annual) event that I'm aware of is in Missouri. There are no more Mom-N-Pop Hobby Stores in this area either. Not really sure why. But I think that we have a void here that needs filling. I keep running into indicators that there are more of us around in this area than one might think. I could see the possibilities of a full blown FPV / Quad / Heli / Acro Hobby shop in this are having some degree of success if managed properly. But I just can't see myself taking on such an adventure. It would be a dream job though.

Yep - Quadruple Bypass. I started feeling bad a couple years earlier. So I started trying to get healthy. I was running a 10 minute mile two weeks before the incident. I think it saved my life.

There isn't a lot of these types of events going on in my area (Central Arkansas). I've been wanting to go to a Heli Fly-In for the past couple of years. But the closest (annual) event that I'm aware of is in Missouri. There are no more Mom-N-Pop Hobby Stores in this area either. Not really sure why. But I think that we have a void here that needs filling. I keep running into indicators that there are more of us around in this area than one might think. I could see the possibilities of a full blown FPV / Quad / Heli / Acro Hobby shop in this are having some degree of success if managed properly. But I just can't see myself taking on such an adventure. It would be a dream job though.

I'm glad you're better! I was lucky, 2 stents via angioplasty, was awake and talking to the doctor the whole time, done in minutes!

Dream job for sure! And I agree, hobby shops around here are seriously lacking drone parts too. Like everyone else on this forum we buy everything online. I'm with you, there is a good biz out there for this, just a matter of time before someone does it. I'm a software developer by day, mainly mobile apps, my next post will be about mobile app ideas for FPV! I have some ideas to kick around.

-cavalleydude

On the plus side Fatsharks are small, light, and have a good receiver (may not be included though). On the negatives, the field of view is small and they are expensive.

Different pilots like different things. I like a big FOV and pretty high resolution for more immersive flying. So I use big ol' cheap Eachine EV800 but I like them. (if you dont mind waiting, they are $55 on banggood right now, restocking on the 22nd) Only complaint is that I was getting dropouts sometimes from interference causing crashes. I got a new premium VTX (tramp HV) but I haven't been able to really test it yet. Hopefully the dropouts will be gone.

Eachine also has "VR D2" and "goggles two" with diversity receivers, but Jerry says the reviews aren't too good. I may give them a try if I still get dropouts.

Basically pick your poison. Those yuneec ones look interesting but need an external receiver for FPV and will no doubt be overpriced compared to Eachine and Kylin, which are a similar design.

Despite the issues, I would still recommend the EV800 of you want that style. The similar Kylin ones might be better, I haven't used them.

tGO, I bought two of the EV800 on BG today. I can wait for them at that price. I looked at the others you mentioned and yeah, the reviews were not as good as the EV800. They look really good for that price. I wear reading glasses, and noticed that this model is easily modified for users with glasses. I'll repost later when we have them and have tested them for the first time. Thanks for the info!

-cavalleydude

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
darshan rajput