Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

ERM...off to a bad start

kwadkid

Reaction score
Hello wonderful members of this forum.

I have just finished my new QAV X Charpu build and am having...issues. Drone responds perfectly to Beta-flight commands except it never seems to properly connect to it's radio (FRsky Taranis X7) and stick commands do not result in input readouts in BetaFlight. The PDB also makes a noticeable whistle/hiss when placed in a silent room (uses F4 controller)...

Clearly I have done something wrong,...anyone?

Are you sure you have bound your receiver to your transmitter?
Do you have a new model set up on your transmitter and have you assigned your switches?
Does the quad power up ok when you plug in a battery (5 chirps indicating your FC is talking to your esc’s).
Are you plugging in a battery when connected to Betaflight (props off), to see the transmitter talking to the quad?

Yes, with the exclusion of the last one. The transmitter is bound and both modules beep accordingly, however, no inputs show up on betaflight when connected with battery and usb cable.

Yes, with the exclusion of the last one. The transmitter is bound and both modules beep accordingly, however, no inputs show up on betaflight when connected with battery and usb cable.
Have you tried a different cable, needs to be of the data type as some cables are for charging only.

Have you selected the right receiver in the config tab in Betaflight? Either Sbus, crossfire etc.
View attachment 4725
Yes, mine is correctly configed...new issue, I had the normal boot up beeps earlier today, then bound the controller and only got two. Just reflashed escs in BL and now no sounds...

Yes, mine is correctly configed...new issue, I had the normal boot up beeps earlier today, then bound the controller and only got two. Just reflashed escs in BL and now no sounds...
Maybe have a look at your wiring on your FC and ESC, if you have lights on the FC when you plug the USB into your computer, you may have a faulty 5V regulator that you need to power up the board. Easy enough to check with a multimeter and if it is faulty, that would account for no lights or beeps. As for flashing the escs, not sure if that is related, I would have to look that one up.
The joys of a build, I had one go up in flames so need to panic just yet.

Reactions: kwadkid
Maybe have a look at your wiring on your FC and ESC, if you have lights on the FC when you plug the USB into your computer, you may have a faulty 5V regulator that you need to power up the board. Easy enough to check with a multimeter and if it is faulty, that would account for no lights or beeps. As for flashing the escs, not sure if that is related, I would have to look that one up.
I actually built a Martian ii with Emax RS2205 s motors in like 2015 and found it in my attic last year and still have yet to get it in the air. Starting to get a bad rap sheet with these :)

BTW, I still get lights on the FC when I plug the battery in.

BTW, I still get lights on the FC when I plug the battery in.
Wondering with those motors, did you flash BL HeliS or BLHeli_32? You should at least get the first three beeps when you plug in a battery and possibly not the last two as the wrong FW has been flashed. Not sure if the protocol for your escs is either one shot, multi shot or D shot. You may have to do a bit of research on your esc's to see what they are running. Is it an AIO or individual esc's? If its an AIO, google it and it will tell you what you are supposed to run. Just wondering if in your config tab, the esc protocol is wrong and hence no go with arming the quad.
This sounds long winded, but welcome to the internet and long distance fault finding.

Wondering with those motors, did you flash BL HeliS or BLHeli_32? You should at least get the first three beeps when you plug in a battery and possibly not the last two as the wrong FW has been flashed. Not sure if the protocol for your escs is either one shot, multi shot or D shot. You may have to do a bit of research on your esc's to see what they are running. Is it an AIO or individual esc's? If its an AIO, google it and it will tell you what you are supposed to run. Just wondering if in your config tab, the esc protocol is wrong and hence no go with arming the quad.
This sounds long winded, but welcome to the internet and long distance fault finding.
ESCs are individual

Installed BLheli S 16.7. Bet you money it is the wrong version of the protocall.

Sounds like the wrong target was flashed on the ESC's, the ESC type MUST be correct or it will not work, and it should be able to be read by BLHeli, if it comes up as unknown it is reason for caution. In this example, the ESC's on this quad are F-H-40.

1604945517395.png

Sounds like the wrong target was flashed on the ESC's, the ESC type MUST be correct or it will not work, and it should be able to be read by BLHeli, if it comes up as unknown it is reason for caution. In this example, the ESC's on this quad are F-H-40.

View attachment 4730
Plot twist numero dos, pulled out a new battery and 5 beeps commenced...either the voltage on the 1st one was in the floor or I have one interesting quad :)

Last 2 of 5 beeps is the FC checking in with the ESC's, if you have a cable harness between the FC and ESC, better check it for broken wires, something is likely wrong with the motor signal wire(s) or the ground between the 2 boards. That is as long as the FC is powering up from the battery, you can try to plug in the USB and then the battery to see if that works, if it does then it could be that the FC isn't getting power when the battery is plugged in.

Reactions: tevek
Wondering what the battery voltage level is, many people see the "nominal voltage" on the battery label and think that is a charged battery then the next thing you know the battery is too low to run things properly by being attached only a few minutes. Battery should be about 4.2 volts per cell to be full, at 3.7 and below it is really empty.

*Update,

Motor Bench test successful, TX inputs...not so much, cant get the quad to arm.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
darshan rajput