Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Emax Buzz VTX change out

4th_Dimension

Reaction score
Good evening,
I recently just purchased the "Emax Buzz" great freestyle drone but I have two things I would like changed. If anyone knows how to do this or what parts I can use please enlighten me.
1.) I am missing hearing my (props/motors) coming through my earbud when I am flying as the VTX doesn't have "audio" nor does the camera. What VTX can I use instead of the OEM on board? Would it be a easy change over to another VTX?
2.) Not really feeling this OEM FPV camera. I would like to use the "Runcam Eagle Pro 2 but I see no way to get it to fit inside the cage. So does anyone have any good recommendations on another GPV camera I could change over too??

Any ideas or help would be awesome.
4th_Dimension

Reactions: rtkDarling
@rtkDarling thanks for the info, I'll check out the "Micro Eagle". What do you think about this VTX "AKK FX2 5.8Ghz FPV Transmitter" to be put on the Emax Buzz

Reactions: rtkDarling
That's funny. I'm running two of those and I didn't realize they had a mic (because I never use it of course)
That's a good choice, just take a look at the pinout on your current vtx and compare it to the new one. You might need to rearrange the wires into a new cable connector if the current one doesn't fit the new VTX

@rtkDarling Yeah I was researching this one for a while now and it has a mic...

I am one of those guys who loves to fly with audio. Like to hear whats happening on the drone and helps me with the throttle and freestyle. So its a big plus that it has both (Smart audio and Audio), I guess the question is can you use both at the same time?

So I am wondering as I have read that there was a problem with "BetaFlight 3.3" and this VTX and will the VTX work i=with BetaFlight 4.0? Would you know?

My Emax Buzz 2400 came with "Receiver: FrSky XM+ receiver 16 CH " So I may need some help in trying to wire this up with this VTX. So any help from anyone will be great!!!
LOL I already have my Buzz torn apart looking at things

Really like the
RunCam Micro Eagle FPV Camera 800TVL, thanks for letting me know about it.

So I will be ordering both this coming weekend

RunCam Micro Eagle FPV Camera 800TVL
AKK FX2(30*30/Smart Audio)

@rtkDarling Yeah I was researching this one for a while now and it has a mic...

I am one of those guys who loves to fly with audio. Like to hear whats happening on the drone and helps me with the throttle and freestyle. So its a big plus that it has both (Smart audio and Audio), I guess the question is can you use both at the same time?

So I am wondering as I have read that there was a problem with "BetaFlight 3.3" and this VTX and will the VTX work i=with BetaFlight 4.0? Would you know?

My Emax Buzz 2400 came with "Receiver: FrSky XM+ receiver 16 CH " So I may need some help in trying to wire this up with this VTX. So any help from anyone will be great!!!
LOL I already have my Buzz torn apart looking at things

Really like the
RunCam Micro Eagle FPV Camera 800TVL, thanks for letting me know about it.

So I will be ordering both this coming weekend

RunCam Micro Eagle FPV Camera 800TVL
AKK FX2(30*30/Smart Audio)
The FrSky receiver and the VTX should not interact at all. They both wire to the flight controller independently. You should be able to lift the wires out of the connector for your old VTX and put them in the new connector in the correct order. (assuming your old VTX and your new VTX will have different connectors)

I haven't had any trouble with this VTX in betaflight, but I don't use smartaudio, or audio at all.

@RPR Well I live in a urban environment with lots of buildings/high rises steel&concrete at best I can get maybe 3/4 blocks from me but I have lots of multipathing to deal with.

Also I maybe going with these batteries for my Emax Buzz 2400kv
Ovonic 1550mAh 18.5V 5S 100C Lipo Battery

I hope the Voltage isn't too high (18.5V 5S) tho, if you or anyone knows please chim in???

This guy said they will work in a YouTube video...

Reactions: RPR
@4th_Dimension is he running the same motors as you? (They make a 1700kv version that's built for 5 and 6s) I've run HGLRC 2306 2450kv on 5s and it got a little hairy. Lots of vibration towards the top of the throttle. It appears the ESC can take the voltage, but you're going to want to go slow with those motors at first. Fly back and check for hot motors after 30 seconds, 1 minute etc. Just for the first pack. (it could save you some heartache) It makes an awesome difference though going from 4s to 5s on the same rig, it feels like jet fuel. Most of my rigs are around 1900 KV and tuned to 5s

@rtkDarling Yeah I have watch the video many times and he is running the same drone 2400kv on 5S. Watch the video he breaks it down and said that the motors don't get hot BUT it is a big difference for speed/power

@rtkDarling it appears that the VTX I want to get (
AKK FX2-ultimate US Version 5.8GHz VTX with MMCX Support OSD)
has a MMCX connector and my pagodas have RP-SMA so I have to find a pigtail that goes MMCX to RP-SMA

It's like night and day, but you may have to lower your PIDS just a little bit. Also don't forget about how much difference a prop makes when you're changing voltages. What worked on 4s might not work the same on 5s, so it's good to get a few different sets and mess around with it a little.

That AKK VTX comes with a little MMCX to SMA pigtail. If you're sure your antennas are RP-SMA then yes, you'll need a different connector or an SMA converter. RPSMA is the female (no pin)

The types of connectors are all on this page, it gets a little confusing
HTB1SYz9FpmWBuNjSspdq6zugXXae.jpg

@rtkDarling Yeah my Pagoda is RP-SMA.
Ok I have attached 3 pictures..
1.) of OEM VTX
2.) of OEM camera.
What do you think.

vtx IS NOT 30/30

Attachments

• OEM VTX.jpg
    OEM VTX.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 7
  • OEM camera.jpg
    OEM camera.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 7
  • Wiring from OEM camera to FC.jpg
    Wiring from OEM camera to FC.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 6
It looks like the VTX has holes for a 30x30 stack, but only uses two of the four and takes up half the space correct? The VTX you're looking at will go in the same position, but cover the entire stack, not just half of it. (there should be room right?) The camera is a micro for sure, and that's a standard. Just pull the old one out and put a new one in. The plug might even fit .

If you NEED a half board to fit that space I know HGLRC makes one, and there are a number of others out there that go above 200 mw

@rtkDarling Ok, I am taking new pictures..
-4 wires from OEM camera sodder to board are red,yellow,green,black...pic attached
-The other 2 bolts do not come all the way up on the other side and if you look close their is a sticky pad for my frsky xt+ receiver there...pic attached
-wire harnes has 4 wires on back of camera..pic attached

So first I would have to come up with some way to extend the other bolts for a 30/30 VTX "the one I want"
Also I would have to either reposistion the XM+ RECEIVER or make sure their is enough space
For camera the( RunCam Micro Eagle FPV Camera 800TVL )
only has a wire harnes for...
1 pin for...5-36v...(Red wire)
1 pin for..GND...(Black wire)
1 pin for...Video...(Yellow wire)
so what do I do for the green wire thats on the OEM wire harnes and sodder to board FROM THE CAMERA
?

Attachments

• 4 wires from OEM camera sodder to board.jpg
    4 wires from OEM camera sodder to board.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 5
  • other bolts dont go up (1).jpg
    other bolts dont go up (1).jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 4
  • Wire harnes on back of camera.jpg
    Wire harnes on back of camera.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 4
That last green wire is the smartaudio for camera control. You'll end up not using it and using a micro controller that comes with the camera to set it up or make changes

Did you already order the VTX? We can find you a 1//2 board to make it easier to install. Heck, I've got one in my desk somewhere

@rtkDarling No I will order my parts this weekend. Yeah I have a iron but I am trying to stay away from soddering as much ad possible. That's why I am ?ng about this VTX. Looks like it's plug-n-play but correct me if I'm wrong...

Then the only soddering would be for the camera wires. I'll just splice them from tge existing wires from board and cut out the green on. If you think that's OK.
So the only problem left is the bolts that are too short on the other side and making sure their is enought space for my frsky xm+ receiver.

Then how or where I could solder the VTX to get power. The version you showed me looks awesome but I don't have enough knowledge on how to do all that soldering and connecting yet but I am learning

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax