Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Eachine Wizard 220 manual

Ok so today, the weather was right. No wind, wall to wall sun. Batteries charged. Drone programmed and checked. Flipped the arm switch and the motors ran. Upped the throttle and she gently rose into air. Yes she was flying properly. Until a motor fell off and she started cutting grass again!
Wired cut can be resoldered, but motor mount missing. I have ordered another but that is another three weeks away now. So grounded once again.
Ho hum , back to the phantom

I might try flying without the plastic mount. I cannot see it would make a lot if difference.

It sounds like you have fallen prey to the scourge of quad and Harley Davidson motorcycle owners the world over... lose hardware.
You DO NOT want to run the quad without something in place of the black plastic motor protector because the screws may be too long without it and touch the bottom of your motor windings, that would be bad if it gets through the varnish insulation and shorts to the carbon fiber frame. If you have some slightly shorter screws, or if you can see that they are not too long and will not touch the motor windings then go ahead... and keep an eye that your screws are all snug, but not too tight to strip the aluminum, after every few flights to keep from losing things or having it fall apart in the air.

Congrats on your progress, flying much more is just around the corner for you. It is a real shame you don't live here in the US, I have a few extra of those black plastic motor protectors I could give you, but shipping it to where you are may not be cost effective.

Reactions: Wayno52
I have put a couple of screws part way in to stop the motor swinging about. Got soldering to do first. May see if I can make a mount after that. But I will take your advice and not fly.

I never would say to not fly :)
I would just say to cut a piece of thinner cardboard to take up the missing protector thickness so the screws don't touch.
And try to be careful because that motor has a little less protection now, so it could get bent easier if you hit it on hard ground or possibly need to clean dirt out of it as there is less covering. No biggie, just make some allowance for the missing piece and FLY!

Good news at last. I found the engine mount on the floor of my scooter, which is of course, black. Soldering tomorrow, and fingers crossed weather will be good for another try.

Reactions: HighTechPauper
So today was the day. The drone was soldered backs up, and the engine mount in place. Screws checked, batteries checked. Weather perfect. Off down to the beach. Turn on the controller, turn on the 220, and gently ease the throttle upwards. She lifts off very slowly and turning her 8 begin to gain height and fly down the beach. Wonderful, smooth, brilliant little aircraft. I turn her around for the home trip and on her way back the sun gets in my eyes, I cannot see the little aircraft just a dot now. Try to bring her home, but not doing what she is told. I have to bring her down before the stupid idiots with dogs walk straight into her. I make a not of th landing point. May be too far for my legs. I try and find her. Absolutely nowhere nearby. I carry on looking until my legs will hardly move no luck. Brilliant aircraft now lost on the beach. (Our beach is mostly grass, mud and channels). I wonder if God really wants me to fly these aircraft? Going t9 buy a replacement now. Question is do I get the S version?

So sorry my friend, the mistake is allowing it to get that far away flying Visual Line Of Sight (VLOS). Only the VERY experienced would try this and usually not on a beach (water landing possibility). In all likelihood she was doing exactly as you told her, you were just too far away to see clearly and too inexperienced to know what was happening. Most have lost at least one bird, learn from this and you will do better.

About the 220S model, I would not. I have 3 220 models and they are easier for a number of reasons that make it a better aircraft for new pilots, for instance when an ESC blows, and it will, with the 220S you must replace all 4 (expensive), with the 220 they are on the arms so much less cost and work to get flying again. But that is just me and I think they are close enough that you may do ok with the 220S, but for me flying is the important part, fancy takes a back seat to that, and cost is always a concern as it can get out of hand quickly.

In my humble opinion

So sorry my friend, the mistake is allowing it to get that far away flying Visual Line Of Sight (VLOS). Only the VERY experienced would try this and usually not on a beach (water landing possibility). In all likelihood she was doing exactly as you told her, you were just too far away to see clearly and too inexperienced to know what was happening. Most have lost at least one bird, learn from this and you will do better.

About the 220S model, I would not. I have 3 220 models and they are easier for a number of reasons that make it a better aircraft for new pilots, for instance when an ESC blows, and it will, with the 220S you must replace all 4 (expensive), with the 220 they are on the arms so much less cost and work to get flying again. But that is just me and I think they are close enough that you may do ok with the 220S, but for me flying is the important part, fancy takes a back seat to that, and cost is always a concern as it can get out of hand quickly.

In my humble opinion
Thank you for your sympathy. It has been a hard day. But a learning curve. It was only supposed to fly near me (as I cannot walk too far),but the sun got in my eyes. My experience told me that in the case where control is doubtful or lost then land the craft so it cannot hurt anyone. I could see dog walkers going in that direction. I really had no choice. In hindsight I could have let her hover until I got nearer, so I could orientate her properly. Sadly was not going to happen as my legs don’t really work anymore just couldn’t get there.
I have got the goggles and they work well. Next time I fly I will tRy and get someone with me.
I have ordered a 220 standard version not the S. thank you for your advice.

Embay, I am so sorry to hear about all of that. Not just the bird but the weakness as well. I think you really concentrate on flying fpv for now so that you can always bring her back to you. Just be aware that the sun can still affect fpv to a degree so you may need to adjust settings depending on the time of day. I fly a lot at sunset and sometimes I will land and adjust brightness accordingly. My eyes ain’t what they use to be.
I wish you the best in everything and onward and upward brother.

Reactions: HighTechPauper
Thanks you very much Wayno. I have muscular dystrophy, a condition which means all of my muscles are wasting away. Part of the reason I took up flying drones was that I could do it sat down, and the other was so that people confined to wheels could share in the flying through the goggles hence the reason I got them in the first place. Just need to find an observer on a regular basis.
I will keep everyone informed on my story.

I think it is wonderful what you want to do! I pray you find a good spotter and take yourself, and many others, for for a fantastic ride above the trees!

Thank you for your kindness and prayer. That is why I am pressing on so hard with this as I am uncertain what the future holds. Of course pressing hard you make mistakes, hopefully I can learn from this one. I have discovered that hindsight is a wonderful instructor.

Thank you GreenOrange I appreciate your thoughts. I do have a simulator , in fact most of them, so I will keep practising. I had thought of a Tiny Whoop, but her indoors says no I am afraid. I need to get back in the saddle with this one. I flew my Spark for about half an hour afterwards, otherwise I might never have flown again. It was difficult and painful but it’s one of those things you need to do, you know, get back in the saddle ASAP. I can certainly say this, the simulator knowledge I gained was invaluable on that first flight. Without it worse could have happened.

So yesterday a black package was left on my doorstep by some delivery guy. Inside? A brand new Wizard x220. So i am back in business . Applying all that I have learned before I am setting it up correctly first, and checking if there any nuts loose on the craft (apart from me) and all those other jobs 8 should have done. Now looking for a observer so I can test fly. Watch this space.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanykcz