Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Eachine Nano VTX: getting very hot while trying to do setup.

Trailbrake

Reaction score
First time messing with this stuff. I killed the original camera on my drone so I thought I would add a Caddx Ratel to it, and along with that add a new VTX, because the camera / VTX that came on the Indorfin is an AIO unit, and I couldn't just replace the camera. Since I am learning and piecing my way through this, I tried salvaging the plug and wires from the original camera and desoldered the 5v power and ground wires from the Nano, and replaced them with those wires and plug from the old one. I had a hell of a time trying to get those tiny little wires soldered on the terminals without bridging them. I am sure I did have them bridged but found some flux and was able to get them pretty clean again. I just resoldered them up and checked for continuity and see none, but when I plug in and power up the VTX and camera I can feel the VTX getting hot. It steadily ramps up in temp to a point I think the magic smoke will begin coming out if I don't pull the plug. Surely this isn't normal, right?

Reactions: Wayno52
Hi Trailbrake, it is very normal for a vtx to get extremely hot while on a bench.
When working with it on a bench I would advise using a fan to keep it to a minimum. They are designed to have as much air flow as possible so flying is not generally an issue. Also they will get hotter the higher you have them set, IE 25mw, 100mw, 500mw and so on.
Having said that it would be a good idea to trial a short flight, land and see how hot it is. You should be able to hold a finger on it no problems but it will still feel warm.

Yes, vTX's get extremely hot sitting on the bench, as Wayne said a fan, or maybe undo the connector on the vTX (if it has one instead of being soldered), and of course try to never power the vTX without an antenna.

Reactions: Wayno52

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax