Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Double Trouble

DavidKersting

Reaction score
1) Bought the Arris 280X.........antenna broke off FPV transmitter. Re-soldered and now it gets hot when powered up....... FPV worked on the bench....but that doesnt mean much I dont think as the transmitter is heating up quickly....guessing the contact between the antenna and the transmitter is not good? see pics

2) 11.1V battery on IMAXB6 charger
fought charging issues with all batteries and found broken charge lead on the charger....fixed. 14.8V 4S now no problem. However, I have a battery that is 11.1V 3S 40-50C and no sign of bloating etc. Its fairly new and no issues before my charging lead stuff. Expected my Imax B6 charger to charge it after my repair of the charging leads. This battery has not been in a crash. Get the error "Battery Check....Over Voltage" and Im sure to change settings for the battery. Cant see any signs of lead/terminal issues on the battery (pulled off the cell casing). Kinda fond of troubleshooting but should I just drain/trash and move on, or something you would check first ? Its a $50 battery.

Thanks,
Dave

Attachments

• IMG_0677.jpg
    IMG_0677.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0678.jpg
    IMG_0678.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 3
you need to be a dimigod at soldering to do a vtx antenna. its really tight work. replacement antenna that snap on are fairly cheap. hopefully the connection on the vtx is still viable and just get a new antenna. its coaxial so attention to keeping both lines seperate is critical and at this size its like brain surgery. just replace the antenna... next time

Reactions: Wayno52
Hi Futuramille,

Ummm its the actual soldered connections between the VTX and the antenna that broke apart. I re-soldered the center pin back to the VTX, followed by the threaded antenna connector to the VTX basically trying to fix broken solder joints. The pics I sent are the finished product. I think the pin ended up a bit shorter after soldering and may not poke up high enough from the VTX to make good antenna contact. Ill add a few more pics.

So then, what if I run wires from the vtx to the antenna between the current solder joints. I could mount the VTX and the antenna in basically 2 different locations......bad idea? I dont like how fragile this thing is now. But really like the size and how well it works(ed).

Attachments

• IMG_0924.jpg
    IMG_0924.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0925.jpg
    IMG_0925.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0926.jpg
    IMG_0926.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 4
The vTX gets very hot, it is just the nature of a vTX. The charger may be set up wrong for the different battery, can you get a picture of the setup screen and the error message? And please show your battery connections also

BTW, I solder those "edge mount" sma connectors on all the time, I get new ones when they get broken too badly, usually because the ground standoffs are broken, but usually I can just solder bridge the ones that are. The pin should be fully inserted and if it is too short to mate to the trace on the vTX, just solder bridge between the 2 locations. I have a good example of this sitting here but no easy way to take a picture of it now to show because my phone recently died. But if you think you need to see what I am talking about let me know and I will get a shot with one of my gopros and upload it.

No Futura, that is a u.FL connector, if you can do anything with that, then you're the demigod. They are either crimped correctly from the factory or not. I actually had one give way where the coax cable comes into it, nothing (reliable) I can do about it so in goes a new pigtail. I tend to use "Welder" adhesive to hold things in place, it's a lot safer than soldering it. It is great because it is removable, strong, very heat resistant (Whoop cam/vtx is a good one where hot glue won't work, just melts) and electrically non-conductive so it is great for isolating/insulating things too. If the u.FL male end comes off the board I usually get a new board.

I was talking about the sma "pcb edge connector" that was in the picture, they are big enough for my old eyes to see and I can bridge solder anywhere, even in the wrong places sometimes LOL ;)

@DavidKersting, do not use that setup, the center pin in the sma is WAY too short. to re-use that board you will need to cut the legs on the old one to remove it, then remove the leftover soldered pieces with the iron (since they are all separate now after cutting off olds sma end) and solder on a new one. If the pin is too short on the board side you can just use a small bit of wire to solder to each side or just bridge it with solder. Then just makes sure no short between the 4 ground leges and the center pin and off you go. You want ones like this

61eqsnCQKdL._SX425_.jpg

NOT THIS!

51ZQ%2BPKdoeL._SY463_.jpg

Nice guys, thanks. Dont wanna trash it if I can help it. Is it fair to say that running wire between the VTX and the antenna is not recommended?

Nice guys, thanks. Dont wanna trash it if I can help it. Is it fair to say that running wire between the VTX and the antenna is not recommended?
It is absolutely NOT advised, recommended, or even possible to do such a thing, an RF transmitter will cook eggs as it is, you short it and it will either blow or catch fire. You don't want that.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax