Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

DJI Just Released Its Latest Digital FPV System

Not the initial set up cost but if you have multiple birds and want this set up it becomes pricey.
Not against it nor am I convinced it is the way to go but early days and I will be watching eagerly to see some more reviews coming in.

Reactions: HighTechPauper
NEVER EVER BUY EARLY RELEASE FROM DJI

I meant to say this earlier. I own a Mavic Pro, DJI is a great company. BUT, they are notorious for releasing products that are basically still in Beta. This is no exception. The first Inspires to hit the market were as buggy as an ant hill.

Bob and Steele have already nailed it: promising tech with a whole lot of questions. Not quite ready for public consumption. 4s capable (not 6s) Questions about nofly zones remain mostly unanswered. The box is massive, still too big for Multi GP style racers.

This is actually aimed more at people like me honestly. I build overpowered 6" rigs to carry the Gopro without sweating it, I have space for the box in my favorite frame. The whole reason I got into FPV was to get more dynamic shots than my Mavic could handle, that's what this is right?

I'll give them about a year to update the software, get it running correctly with BF, and bring the size and the price down.

Im just gonna grab some popcorn and watch for the first couple versions. It sounds good and well see what happens. Its definitely gonna put pressure on other companies and that can only be good for us.
I agree, it gave Fatshark a kick in the rear. They've rushed to announce their own HD solution called "Byte Frost". Still analog I believe, and not as sharp as it's digital counterpoint, but they were forced to show their cards. FS has been a little reticent IMO

Byte Frost is a HDZero board, if you go to their website you will see that FS is a partner, and it may well provide the lower cost entry point and some open standards that will allow us to reuse some of what we have... still too early in the game to call any winners.

Reactions: rtkDarling
These are my initial thoughts (newish to FPV, but long time dji owner):

HD feed (and 1080 on board recording) look sharp, but the props are right in the lateral margins of the frame... Uncroppable. I'm sure there will eventually be a solution, but if you need good flight footage, you'll still need a gopro, for now.

I'm not sure if the controller is proprietary with this set up but if it is, that's a misstep. Pilot's radios and switches are so customized, that will be a big barrier to entry. Not to mention the unnecessary extra cost.

RSSI will become very necessary as, now, it will be much easier for your video feed to outfly your radio link.

The fatshark option has promise IMO because it integrates with pilots existing goggles.

Also, folks are acting like fatshark was scrambling to respond to dji release. I was suspicious of DJIs July 31st release date and was watching for what was going to drop on Aug 1st. I think it's more likely that dji had inside info that fatshark was going to release on August 1st, so just beat them to the punch. This is a standard dji move... Did similar release timing relative to the gopro Karma.

Ok to answer a few questions on this.

There is no NFZ, this is an Fpv system and nothing else, no FC, no GPS.

It’s compatible with pretty much any fc with Sbus and MSP over UART for telemetry and the remote is based on Dji’s own ones like on the Phantom series however it’s customised, the additional 4 3 position switches are set to Sbus channels 5-8 allowing you to set them to what ever you want in your FC.

This system is designed to be used with Betaflight and it has integration that allows you to change PID setigns ans rates as well, it will also work with any others as per the above but the setting changes via the goggles may not work.

inzwOd9h.png

Today DJI have announced a new updated version of their Ocusync system called the DJI Digital FPV System

Specifically designed for drone racing applications this new digital FPV system delivers lower latency HD video than the original Ocuync Air system in a small package making it even easier fro fit in smaller racing style drones.

Main Features

• 28ms HD low latency video transmission up to 4km Range in FCC Mode & 0.7km in CE Mode

720p/120fps image quality for the DJI FPV Goggles

8 Digital channels in FCC, 4 In CE

Up to 8 drones can be flown simultaneously

1080p/60fps video and Audio recording directly on the DJI FPV Air Unit SD Card.

7ms low latency control transmission between the new DJI FPV RC and DJI FPV Air Unit.

The New DJI FPV Goggles

ePc36R7l.jpg

The all new smaller DJI FPV Goggles utilise the DJI HDL FPV Transmission system to provide pilots with HD resolution for both pilots and spectators with a minimum end-to-end latency of 28ms.

GBRaUgCl.jpg

DJI don’t ship the new goggles with a battery and instead it is designed to be used with normal LiPo pack with a voltage range of 7.4-17.6 V. A 4S pack is recommended for best performance and a 4S 1600mah battery will give approximately 3.5 hours of continuous use.

New Smaller Design with HD Screens

Capable of displaying a at 1080×720 in 4:3 and 1440×810 with an aspect ratio of 16:9 the new FPV Goggles are also

HD Image Quality

The DJI FPV Goggles can display live feed video at 720p 120fps in Low Latency Mode, this high-quality resolution allows a latency as low as 28 ms delivering a clear view and fast performance video. IHD Mode displays at 720P 60fps for higher quality viewing experience.

Clearer Viewing

In Focus mode DJI use a new feature where most of the bitstream is placed at the centre of the video image when signals worsen helping to provide a clearer FPV experience even when the signal is week.

Onboard Recording

The goggles can also record video onboard at 720p allowing you to play back instantly via the goggles or share your flights with friends.

Broadcasting Supported

Audience mode allows pilots to share their live camera view with other DJI FPV Goggles users.

Omnidirectional Antennas

DJI FPV Goggles has four omnidirectional antennas that support left-hand circular polarisation that improves signal communication between DJI FPV Goggles, RC, and Air Unit.

Convenient Channel Control

Two stable and user-friendly channel adjustment buttons provide pilots and spectators with the convenience of changing frequency channels faster.

Designed for Comfort

An industrial design makes the DJI FPV Goggles comfortable to use, even for glasses-wearers. DJI also offers custom-made myopia lenses for users with nearsightedness.

External Power

The DJI FPV Goggles done come with a battery however users can chaise one with a voltage range of 7.4-17.6 V. 4S pack is recommended for best performance and a 4S 1600mah battery will give approximately 3.5 hours of continuous use.

DJI FPV Camera

Q91VYUWl.jpg

Designed to be specifically used with the FPV Air Unit the the DJI FPV Camera has a 150° ultra-wide-angle lens which provides a wide field-of-view for users. Pilots can also select from three camera modes to overcome challenges in different flying scenarios as well as adjust screen brightness and saturation to obtain a vivid image.

Standard Mode

Standard mode reduces colour loss and preserves more original details, improving daytime image quality.

Racing Mode

In Racing mode the image contrast increases, helping pilots to distinguish obstacles throughout the course.

LED Mode

LED mode reduces noise and increases the color saturation on LED lights that are built into racing gates and other obstacles on the track.

DJI FPV Air Unit

T8cEvjYl.jpg

Designed to be as compact as possible the DJI FPV Air Unit is just 44x37.8x14.4 in size and weighs4 45g, its capable of being used on 7.4v - 17.6v 2-4S power systems.

High Bandwidth

The DJI FPV System used the 5ghz band and a channel has a bandwidth of 20 MHz for HD video.

8 Channels, 8 Drones

The DJI FPV Air Unit is equipped with eight frequency channels, which allows up to eight drones to fly simultaneously.

1080p Aerial Footage

The DJI FPV Air Unit can record videos at either 1080p 60fps or 720P 60/120fps during flight, providing pilots with smooth and clear aerial footage with no need for external cameras.

Embedded Remote Controller Receiver

Users can wirelessly connect their DJI FPV Air Unit to the DJI FPV Remote Controller without having to purchase additional receivers. This reduces flight preparation time significantly.

Multi-Antenna Technology

The DJI FPV Air Unit has two antennas, both of which are receivers and transmitters, ensuring broader signal coverage for reliable image transmission.

Wide Power Range

Designed to be use on a 7.4-17.6 V system, 4S is recommended and will give a power consumption of 5-7 W in normal temperatures.

DJI FPV Remote Controller

fhLMHj5l.jpg

Integrated Control

New for the FPV system DJI have introduced the The DJI FPV Remote Controller, this RC connects quickly to the DJI FPV Air Unit and DJI FPV Goggles for a complete all in one solution, fitted with 4 dedicated 3 position switches, record buttons, control dials and functions buttons to allows the pilots to map functions and control settings.

An Integrated System

The DJI FPV Remote Controller’s closed-loop software allows users to remotely set parameters via the RC controls for DJI FPV Goggles, the DJI FPV Air Unit, and the DJI FPV Camera, increasing stabilisation and reducing operational errors.

Improved User Experience

With an adjustable joystick and an ergonomic design enabling better grip, the DJI FPV Remote Controller is easy to use and provides strong controller responsiveness.

7ms Low Latency

The latency between the DJI FPV Air Unit and the DJI FPV Remote Controller can go as low as 7 ms allowing pilots to send flight commands faster and complete difficult aerial stunts.

4km Control Distance

During drone operation the DJI FPV Remote Controller can control the DJI FPV Air Unit for up to 4 km.

Interchangeable Battery

The DJI FPV Remote Controller uses the WB37 4920mah battery like the DJI Crystalsky and Cencende remote allowing pilots to have multiple battery available for extended flight times.

Some FAQ

What is the System Range ?

DJI State up to 4km in FCC Mode and 0.7km in CE Mode

Can I change from FCC to CE Manually ?

Region setting is not user selectable and is set by DJI Assistant for FPV Series automatically when you connect the Air Unit, your location is detected based on your internet connection location.

Can I change from FCC to CE after its been set ?

If you move to a FCC location from CE simply turn on your Goggles and Air unit and allow them to connect and display video, connect the Air unit to DJI Assistant for FPV Series and it will detect if your internet connection location is in a FCC Country and it will change to FCC Mode automatically.

How can I tell if I am in FCC or CE ?

FCC Mode has 8 Available channels, CE Mode has 4.

Can I use the new DJI FPV Goggles with DJI Drones ?

No, the new goggles are only designed to be used with the new FPV Air System only.

Can I Use DJI FPV Goggles with Analog ?

Yes however there is no analog receiver in the goggles and you would have to connect to an external receiver to the goggles via AV in.

Can I use my own RC with the DJI FPV System ?

Yes you can use your own receiver and transmitter as long as they are on different frequency’s.

Can I manually switch between Mode 1 and Mode 2 on my DJI FPV Remote Controller?

Yes. However, it is not recommended. By detaching the remote controller and manually switching between Mode 1 and Mode 2, you will not be covered by DJI official warranty if the remote controller were to break.DJI offer two flight modes for you to choose from when purchasing the DJI FPV Remote Controller, Mode 1 and Mode 2.

Is the DJI FPV Air Unit compatible with third-party cameras?

No, Only the DJI FPV Camera is compatible with the system.

What Flight controllers are compatible with the DJI FPV System ?

Any controllers that supports SBus and UART with MSP on Betaflight, to use the new DJI HDL 7ms RC connection you need Betaflight 4.1.0 for HDL and telemetry via the MSP Protocol.

Troubleshooting

Activation Issues/ Stuck In CE

The DJI FPV system comes locked to a single channel and 25mw out the box and requires all parts to be activated one at a time before it will unlock all the channels and set the correct power level for your region.

To do this you need to download the DJI Assistant 2 (DJI FPV series) then connect each component one at a time to activate, the recommendation is to connect the Goggles, Air System then RC.

Once you have done this it could set the correct region location and open up the additional channels. In CE you will see 4 channels and in FCC you will see 8.

If you having problems activating the DJI Digital FPV System and you are

A: Stuck in CE with 4 channels in an FCC location

B: Unable to activate and only see 1 channel

The first thing to do is check your IP location on the DJI checker

https://mydjiflight.dji.com/api/v2/geocoder_service/geoip

For theDJI Assistant 2 (DJI FPV series) app to work correctly and activate and set the region you should see a result like

" {"extra_msg":["","","91.126.54.21"],"msg":"success","result":{"country_code":"GB","country_name":"英国"},"status":0} "

If you don't get a result that shows you country above and see something like "{"msg":"unavailable to obtain correct country location!","status":100}" this means the app is unable to determine your location and this is why your unable to activate to get your correct country mode selected.

To resolve this try as follows

1: Reinstall DJI Assistant for FPV and make sure the below options are turned on

942ef588708cdf4175092643eb415afc.jpg

2: Disable any Firewall/Antivirus on your computer

3: Try another Internet connection such as tethered phone or Public Wifi

4: Try anther computer.

When the DJI IP check works correct and shows you location then you should be able to activate via the DJI Assistant for FPV.

Stuck In CE

If you are stuck in CE Mode in a FCC location try as follows once the IP Check is working as per above

1: Make sure all firmware is the same on all units.

2: Turn on goggles and Air Unit and allow to connect to each other and video is seen in goggles

3: Open DJI Assistant for Digital FPV and Connect the air unit via USB C, once connected sit on the firmware screen for a minute showing the option to refresh.

5:In goggles check video is connected and open the channels and check to see if it’s increased from 4 to 8 available. You may see this happen as you open the menu.

FCC Mode will show 8 available channels

CE Mode will show 4.

If this does not work with it all on refresh the Air unit firmware.

FCC Force

DJI Digital FPV System Force FCC Mode force

A fast method to set DJI Digital FPV System radio mode

Setup Guide:

1.Activate the whole system first.

2.Find a SD card,create a file on its root directory with named with naco.txt,its content is a number between 1-8 , example:

d995497475df6c99c659aa36050a8157.jpg

3.Insert the SD card to DJI FPV air unit, its radio mode is changed automatically. You can check the supported channels numbers in play menu.

4.Country code and radio mode mapping table:

(not all the country codes are listed, but all radio modes are listed)

67cdad3917223ef4f701daac18f44a15.jpg

5.CAUTION:

Do not connect the FPV air unit to DJI Assistant 2 while setting the radio mode with SD card, if it's connected to DJI assistant 2 by accident,please unplug the USB cable and reboot the system with SD card insert.

Last edited:
Reactions: dirkclod
Mad1,

many of us have thousands of dollars in quads that this air unit doesn't fit. Dud dji actually test for this size issue. I own several different goggles and viewing stations so others can ride along. Ride alongs are the best part of flying with my buddies. Is DJI going to be coming out with
1. A smaller air unit so it fits inside our frames. can the air unit be de cased to decrease the size?
2. a less expensive option like a monitor for others to view the flights without spending 500$?
3. What about OSD feeds? I havent seen that in the reviews but I have seen lock outs. will it eventually work with Crossfire?
thanks

Last edited:
Just to clear something up...
There is no such thing as digital radio transmission, it is all analog, even DJI. It is simply a matter of what is encoded (modulated) onto the analog radio waves, which can be a base analog, or a base digital signal, but it is always an analog carrier.

Reactions: Futuramille
Mad1,

many of us have thousands of dollars in quads that this air unit doesn't fit. Dud dji actually test for this size issue. I own several different goggles and viewing stations so others can ride along. Ride alongs are the best part of flying with my buddies. Is DJI going to be coming out with
1. A smaller air unit so it fits inside our frames. can the air unit be de cased to decrease the size?
2. a less expensive option like a monitor for others to view the flights without spending 500$?
3. What about OSD feeds? I havent seen that in the reviews but I have seen lock outs. will it eventually work with Crossfire?
thanks

Heat is the No1 factor is any digital system like this. Removing the case is really not an option as its needed to dissipate the heat, there is literally no space inside these anyways and the boards require cooling.

Smaller will happen at some point but it’s going to take more advances in SOC and thermal management.

OSD is simply voltage only from the FC at the moment via UART and MSP. It does not take an FC OSD and instead reads the data from Betaflight or Inav for instance.

More OSD displays option hopefully are in the worlds.

As for Crossfire you do not have to use the DJI RC and can use any one as you can with any FPV system with its own receiver if you wished.

As for other viewing options I suspect DJI will be looking at this closely and will have to see what the future holds. At this stage it’s goggles only.

Reactions: Futuramille
Hey All, new to your forum. First post, and seeking information and a better understanding... toward the DJI system & quad kit.

New to FPV quads... mainly gained interest from the DJI FPV Digital system and it’s components and video / transmission clarity displayed in a few review YouTubes.

Some of the YouTubes are very cool to watch.
I noticed the can flip & roll... can they fly inverted too.
Are the rolls & flips controlled by switches or performed by full stick movements. Or a little both similar to RC Heli’s?
Sparked an interest to fly, not to race, but simply pleasure fun and the new FPV experience.

Not having zip invested in FPV quads, although I am well invested in other sUAV’s. What is needed to complete the package nicely? I’m reading there is a fit issue with some platforms, and others place prop out Ft in video view.

Has anyone selected a quad package if we’re considering the DJI kit without any FPV hardware yet?

Being a total unknown, what is required... all in a quad kit or does this require separate buys... frame, motors, ESC, props, etc. I assume some type of FC receiver to connect to DJI’s Reciver / Transmitter hardware or does it contain electronics for motor control too?

I’ve also read a few areas that DJI will probably bring out it’s own quad platform too, creating a RTF total kit. Not sure on time schedule for that, more interested obtaining components to complete the package.

The dji kit covers the receiver, camera, and video transmitter in the quad side, that's it. You'll want to learn how to fly fpv before you get into it IMO, it's kinda tough to learn on a full size rig
Thanks, and found the other thread on the same subject. Appreciate the insight, the little FPV crafts are different for me.

had the first DJI goggles .. released .. these are just awesome .. 2 weeks later these are so crap .. got the DJI re spec goggles Omg look at these the quality and the screen .. wow just wow and I can't watch where I fly once it wasn't more then 30 meters and they lose signal . 2 weeks later these are even more crap //.. Not a chance of this guy here getting these unless I use / check and hear actual buyers and users not paid you tubers telling you how good they are // ..and you try pick up any one of your quads and say I'm flying this one today .. oh no what I cant due to the restriction I must have the set on each quad .. eh NOPE

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanykcz