Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

DJI FPV System

Aan’aillen

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am relatively new to drone building, but am really exited to get my new drone put together. I was gifted the DJI FPV system for my birthday, and need some help choosing the rest of the parts. Do you guys have any suggestions?

I have looked (a little) for frame options, and here is what I’ve come up with, does this work well:

Any and all help would be very appreciated

They are making some frames now designed for the DJI Air Unit from 3 inches and bigger, I would look at one of those to make the build a little easier. There are also a number of Flight Controllers now that are plug and play with the DJI unit which also makes things a good bit easier. If this is going to be your first quad, I would look for an FC and ESC that will plug and play with the DJI, and then see where your budget is before picking motors. If you need a little more help, just let us know what your budget is and we can suggest some specific parts.

That's a "cool" frame, but it's going to be a pain for a first build. It's just far more complex than it needs to be, and that's going to limit how flexible it is for you. (Plus it's overpriced IMHO) You might consider a frame built for the Air unit, partially because it's an odd shape and a lot of frames aren't going to accept it easily, and also because a frame designed for the DJI system might be geared to keep your props out of your HD feed (you're going to have a LOT of prop in frame with that remix)

These "Deadcat" style frames are going to be a little more delicate though, those front arms coming off at almost 90 degrees probably aren't gonna take a hard hit.

Plus the camera is extra exposed to hits with a deadcat
I had forgot about that, and the DJI HD cam is more expensive when you smash it too. ? Yea, that could be a dealbreaker for a first build

I didn't know Armattan was doing DJI edition frames. We're back into the $100+ range, but it comes with a lifetime warranty that they're not offering on the Remix.

Last edited:
Reactions: HighTechPauper
Thanks so much for your help so far!! I think I’ll go with the Badger frame. What motors do you guys recommend? And what about ESC’s??

Last edited:
This WHOLE part is pure opinion, just sayen :)

First off, go 4s. The DJI system is 4s native, it just makes life easier. Normally 4s motors would be around 2400 kv or higher, but I would recommend something just a little lower than that because it's easier to tune and you're less likely to get jello on your sweet HD picture.

I like hyperlight motors. I don't particularly like the way they look, but I don't care at all about the look of my quad, just how it flies. Something like this is my first pick:

That said, these are arguably the best in the biz and might look better on your frame

Not expensive enough for you? These are BEAUTIFUL (2150kv in chrome)

152329_8d43c7f1e36d4bcca5db92b8d3bc4782~mv2.webp

For a stack, this is tempting... Plug and play, F7, 32bit ESC, 60 amps

These guys at Pyrodrone are great if you're in the US. Free shipping and 3 cents back on the dollar with their rewards program. They've been good about returns, and even gave me 10% off an order for my birthday this year. I'm biased

Last edited:
Hey RTK, yeah I think due to tilt during forward flight that the bumper would do very little to protect the cam.

@Aan’aillen, I don't think you can go wrong with the setup RTK is suggesting.

Reactions: rtkDarling
Thanks so much guys!! You have been a great help, and I just ordered all the parts! Just want to double check, is there any other part I would need to buy? Also, how fast do you think this drone would go, once built?

Last edited:
You're going to need a lot of little things to finish it properly, this is a good list:

We're looking at tools like multimeter, drivers, irons and pliers as wells as solder, zip ties, heat shrink, electrical tape and a myriad of other things. It's one thing to put a quad together, it's another thing to build one that will survive the crashings of a new pilot. We're going to want to test the components when they arrive, hook them up (testing as we go), and finally assemble it all in a way that will bend with a crash without destroying your HD unit.

In a straight line it should do 65-70 mph, over 100 mph dive speeds. We're looking at a slightly lower kv build for stability. Higher KV motors would give you a higher RPM resulting in a higher top speed (in theory) and a more difficult tune (in my opinion) This frame isn't built for top speed, it's built for freestyle

Last edited:
Reactions: Aan’aillen
Again, can’t thank you enough for all the help. What battery do you think is best for this drone?

Sorry if this is a silly question, but don’t I need ESC’s? And which ones do you recommend? Or does the stack come with?

The stack I pointed out comes with a 4in1 ESC board, and the Flight controller together. The ESC is the bottom board, and the FC is the little one on top

F7_mini_60A-4-1000x1000_748f1436-c73b-4f66-8fd2-81d99eaa4db1_1200x1200.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax