Welcome to DroneRacingPilots!
Join our free drone racing community today!

DJI FPV System

Aan’aillen

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am relatively new to drone building, but am really exited to get my new drone put together. I was gifted the DJI FPV system for my birthday, and need some help choosing the rest of the parts. Do you guys have any suggestions?

I have looked (a little) for frame options, and here is what I’ve come up with, does this work well:

Any and all help would be very appreciated

HighTechPauper

Reaction score
They are making some frames now designed for the DJI Air Unit from 3 inches and bigger, I would look at one of those to make the build a little easier. There are also a number of Flight Controllers now that are plug and play with the DJI unit which also makes things a good bit easier. If this is going to be your first quad, I would look for an FC and ESC that will plug and play with the DJI, and then see where your budget is before picking motors. If you need a little more help, just let us know what your budget is and we can suggest some specific parts.

rtkDarling

Reaction score
That's a "cool" frame, but it's going to be a pain for a first build. It's just far more complex than it needs to be, and that's going to limit how flexible it is for you. (Plus it's overpriced IMHO) You might consider a frame built for the Air unit, partially because it's an odd shape and a lot of frames aren't going to accept it easily, and also because a frame designed for the DJI system might be geared to keep your props out of your HD feed (you're going to have a LOT of prop in frame with that remix)

These "Deadcat" style frames are going to be a little more delicate though, those front arms coming off at almost 90 degrees probably aren't gonna take a hard hit.

rtkDarling

Reaction score
Plus the camera is extra exposed to hits with a deadcat
I had forgot about that, and the DJI HD cam is more expensive when you smash it too. 😬 Yea, that could be a dealbreaker for a first build

I didn't know Armattan was doing DJI edition frames. We're back into the $100+ range, but it comes with a lifetime warranty that they're not offering on the Remix.

Last edited:
Reactions: HighTechPauper

Aan’aillen

Reaction score
Thanks so much for your help so far!! I think I’ll go with the Badger frame. What motors do you guys recommend? And what about ESC’s??

Last edited:

rtkDarling

Reaction score
This WHOLE part is pure opinion, just sayen :)

First off, go 4s. The DJI system is 4s native, it just makes life easier. Normally 4s motors would be around 2400 kv or higher, but I would recommend something just a little lower than that because it's easier to tune and you're less likely to get jello on your sweet HD picture.

I like hyperlight motors. I don't particularly like the way they look, but I don't care at all about the look of my quad, just how it flies. Something like this is my first pick:

That said, these are arguably the best in the biz and might look better on your frame

Not expensive enough for you? These are BEAUTIFUL (2150kv in chrome)

For a stack, this is tempting... Plug and play, F7, 32bit ESC, 60 amps

These guys at Pyrodrone are great if you're in the US. Free shipping and 3 cents back on the dollar with their rewards program. They've been good about returns, and even gave me 10% off an order for my birthday this year. I'm biased

Last edited:

Aan’aillen

Reaction score
Thanks so much guys!! You have been a great help, and I just ordered all the parts! Just want to double check, is there any other part I would need to buy? Also, how fast do you think this drone would go, once built?

Last edited:

rtkDarling

Reaction score
You're going to need a lot of little things to finish it properly, this is a good list:

We're looking at tools like multimeter, drivers, irons and pliers as wells as solder, zip ties, heat shrink, electrical tape and a myriad of other things. It's one thing to put a quad together, it's another thing to build one that will survive the crashings of a new pilot. We're going to want to test the components when they arrive, hook them up (testing as we go), and finally assemble it all in a way that will bend with a crash without destroying your HD unit.

In a straight line it should do 65-70 mph, over 100 mph dive speeds. We're looking at a slightly lower kv build for stability. Higher KV motors would give you a higher RPM resulting in a higher top speed (in theory) and a more difficult tune (in my opinion) This frame isn't built for top speed, it's built for freestyle

Last edited:
Reactions: Aan’aillen

Aan’aillen

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a silly question, but don’t I need ESC’s? And which ones do you recommend? Or does the stack come with?

rtkDarling

Reaction score
The stack I pointed out comes with a 4in1 ESC board, and the Flight controller together. The ESC is the bottom board, and the FC is the little one on top

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TonyTheDronie