Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

DJI Drones Vs Freestyle Drones

Aziz_Sharif

Reaction score
Just a quick question that what do you guys think of a Dji drones Vs Our own build FpV Freestyle drones in terms of capturing video footage which one is better for long term use & why ?

Two different beasts. I have both food groups, the Phantom has 4K 20 MP capability that I use with Litchi for both missions and general photography covering fairly large distances (klms). My racing quads have run cam splits that provide good vision/video (and god knows I need it) over fairly short distances up to 2-300 mtrs which is far as I am game to fly. The quality of the footage during flying is obviously different due to the technology (lightbridge vs whatever you have set up on your quads). A lot of people use go pro and it’s variants for quality video but again it depends on what your intent is.

Two different beasts. I have both food groups, the Phantom has 4K 20 MP capability that I use with Litchi for both missions and general photography covering fairly large distances (klms). My racing quads have run cam splits that provide good vision/video (and god knows I need it) over fairly short distances up to 2-300 mtrs which is far as I am game to fly. The quality of the footage during flying is obviously different due to the technology (lightbridge vs whatever you have set up on your quads). A lot of people use go pro and it’s variants for quality video but again it depends on what your intent is.

Thank you Tevek for your reply. Well I was planning to build a 5” Quad with Gopro 7 thats why I was wondering that should I stick with my mavic pro for stable video and for my other freestyle loop and role shots with my new quad which I’m planning to build with TBS crossfire Long Range TX ? Just wanted a piece of advice from you that for long run use as dji has its repair problem as I don’t live in usa and cannot send my dji to usa for repair what do you think can I replace my Dji Mavic with my new build 5” quad as I only fly djis for my personal family videos and trips only. So therefor what do you suggest for me should I better off with my dji mavic pro aur should I build a 5” quad with gopro and discard my mavic ?

Hmm, in my case I have hung onto my phantom and have about 6 other racing drones, all of which were either rtf or bnf. I would love to build a quad using the tips from the smart people on this forum and I will when I can get enough spare time. If you only want the one I’d suggest deciding where the most enjoyment is and whether or not you can access spare parts as you will probably crash a lot and get good at rebuilding. Racing quads are much more fun than quads that basically fly themselves although there is a place for them obviously. If you use the search engine on this forum, you can find quality information about either building a quad or just grabbing a RTF set up that suits your ability. Maybe sell the Mavic and use the cash for a build or buy racing quad project?

Reactions: Aziz_Sharif
Thankyou for the information you have provided. Please take care of your self.[emoji4]

The newest fad that seems to be developing is the 7" quad. It gives you the speed of a 5", the floatiness (haha I just made that word up) of a 6" freestyle rig and the ability of longer range like a DJI. Here's one I'm working on to give you an idea. Nice thing is there's lots of room for components.026.JPG

The newest fad that seems to be developing is the 7" quad. It gives you the speed of a 5", the floatiness (haha I just made that word up) of a 6" freestyle rig and the ability of longer range like a DJI. Here's one I'm working on to give you an idea. Nice thing is there's lots of room for components.View attachment 3065

Thanks for your input RENOV8R. Please update us more about your build & its components ? Secondly how you compare it with dji mavic in terms of video footage capability & stable long range with good Video feed in googles ? Please share your knowledge. As i want to get rid of my dji products as I feel limited while flying their products. Secondly at the same time I want the great footage and long range as dji and ease of rebuilding & updating my Quad anytime? Whats yours take on it ? Do share in detail. Thanks

I started on a Mavic, and while I don't fly it very much anymore. I do like to take it on vacation, and it's good for establishing shots and B-roll. It's more reliable than my miniquad builds, it can fly further, and longer.

Flying a miniquad is far more difficult than your DJI though. I would still recommend it to anyone who would try, but you're not going to be getting great footage with it on your first day. I'm a year in and only starting to get the kind of shots that I want, and I have a long way to go. The bottom line is that it's hard to fly smoothly and with purpose, it just takes practice. You are going to crash and crash a lot, even more so at first

The DJI is convenient, and great for those times you need to "get the shot"
The miniquad is a whole different animal; it's a way of life. It's going to take practice and dedication, but it's the most rewarding skill I've learned.

I just got back from my first trip on an airplane with both my Mavic and my miniquad kit. My Taranis X9D is huge, as are my cheap box goggles. The charger, extra batteries, props, and tools I need to fix the drone... it's a lot. That said, I flew at least six packs a day, and barely took the Mavic out at all. The Mavic shots I did get were great, but it's just not as much fun to fly. I really only use it for points of interest.

This was filmed with a Mavic pro 1, a Batman 220 PNP, and a Gopro Hero 5

I started on a Mavic, and while I don't fly it very much anymore. I do like to take it on vacation, and it's good for establishing shots and B-roll. It's more reliable than my miniquad builds, it can fly further, and longer.

Flying a miniquad is far more difficult than your DJI though. I would still recommend it to anyone who would try, but you're not going to be getting great footage with it on your first day. I'm a year in and only starting to get the kind of shots that I want, and I have a long way to go. The bottom line is that it's hard to fly smoothly and with purpose, it just takes practice. You are going to crash and crash a lot, even more so at first

The DJI is convenient, and great for those times you need to "get the shot"
The miniquad is a whole different animal; it's a way of life. It's going to take practice and dedication, but it's the most rewarding skill I've learned.

I just got back from my first trip on an airplane with both my Mavic and my miniquad kit. My Taranis X9D is huge, as are my cheap box goggles. The charger, extra batteries, props, and tools I need to fix the drone... it's a lot. That said, I flew at least six packs a day, and barely took the Mavic out at all. The Mavic shots I did get were great, but it's just not as much fun to fly. I really only use it for points of interest.

This was filmed with a Mavic pro 1, a Batman 220 PNP, and a Gopro Hero 5
Great points! HD video shot from a miniquad are faster, more exciting and cover more ground. Where the DJI products shine is their flight modes. Yoyu can get some great special effects with POI, follow, etc.

Reactions: Keifie
I fly Acro mostly but just bought my first mavic pro. I need the camera capability with auto follow and such to film extreme water sports. I am kinda shy to admit my purchase today and I started with race quads a couple years ago. we fly "well enough" acro quads but sometimes you just need the camera drone to do it all for you.
Right tool for the job.. I have to film this consistently without thinking about it.
Im hoping the new DJI will do it.
35mph river is gonna cut flight times but should provide great footage from Nattedogg this summer.
(Nate is in front with the 124 tag in his back) and he flies like this acro..
the camera drone is just a camera 40mph top speeds. But.. even with a gopro on board, race quads are not good camera drones. I realized the gap and filled it today.

Last edited:
The newest fad that seems to be developing is the 7" quad. It gives you the speed of a 5", the floatiness (haha I just made that word up) of a 6" freestyle rig and the ability of longer range like a DJI. Here's one I'm working on to give you an idea. Nice thing is there's lots of room for components.View attachment 3065
Very nice looking build you have going on there. Is that the iFIght frame? I just ordered the Raggio frame for my first long range build. It will have a UniBlox m8 GPS that I found laying around from 2016.
What size BrotherHobby motors are those?

I fly Acro mostly but just bought my first mavic pro. I need the camera capability with auto follow and such to film extreme water sports. I am kinda shy to admit my purchase today and I started with race quads a couple years ago. we fly "well enough" acro quads but sometimes you just need the camera drone to do it all for you.
Right tool for the job.. I have to film this consistently without thinking about it.
Im hoping the new DJI will do it.
35mph river is gonna cut flight times but should provide great footage from Nattedogg this summer.
(Nate is in front with the 124 tag in his back) and he flies like this acro..
the camera drone is just a camera 40mph top speeds. But.. even with a gopro on board, race quads are not good camera drones. I realized the gap and filled it today.

Sorry for a late reply as I was away from my hometown for work. Well you have nailed it the footage is amazing. Yes you are right that a camera drone is a camera. But don’t you think FOV Quad serve the both purpose of filming and flying well I know not stable as Dji Mavic 2 Pro but still. Or one has to have two of them as in my country there are mountains and if I fly FPV quad one gets disoriented much quickly and I you have a Dji Quad you can fly like a champ and can capture great footage but other side to is the Limitations of Hight, Distance and some time dji wont go above 100 meters of Hight due to high altitude and of course dji repair hassle and cost VS DIY quad. What do you think about this ?

Reactions: Futuramille
Race quads have 3.5 min at best to fly before the battery is done.
DJI at 30mph chasing a raft down a river will get 15min at least and hover for 25min..... (maybe)
just mix the two .. that's my hope. I have alot to learn about DJI but we got 3min flights down pat. Im wondering if the dji gimble is fast enough to track a sköll from above. ( ;

What is more worthy 3.5 Minutes of FPV Quad or 30 Min of Dji Drone you ? That a Million Dollar question that a Dji might capture your drone flying from above ? Well in my opinion it should capture as it has a great camera on it.

my shaking hands say 3.5 minutes ***** out is better. the rest is just family pictures.
Im looking forward to the dji but my soul needs the short sharp acro flights.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a very good reason there are two separate forums for DJI stuff and what we do.

Trust me for the longest time, I tried to merge the convenience of what we do here in terms of size and simplicity to the A/P (aerial photography) capability of a DJI drone. It is cost ineffective.

That is why I have a Mavic Air I use strictly for AP which has accomplished everything I tried to do several years ago in terms of a compact AP drone. But for fun, its all about these mini drones. No way to merge the two - you would end up with a second class racer at best and a jello ridden AP rig.

We (Natedogg and I) got into race drones after flying RC helli's for years (and planks).. The ruggedness of a race quad is far superior. you can roll them around in the grass all day with only a 50c blade replacement. I just obtained a Mavic Pro and its not something you want to crash. I just wanted a camera platform is all.

The right tool for the right situation and airspace is the goal. A 2" quad can backflip my pool table. a 3" quad can get close and tight in playground equipment or inside tree branches, the 5" can chase race cars. the Mavic can take pictures/ video of it all from above with little to no effort.

Very nice looking build you have going on there. Is that the iFIght frame? I just ordered the Raggio frame for my first long range build. It will have a UniBlox m8 GPS that I found laying around from 2016.
What size BrotherHobby motors are those?
Sorry for the late reply, don't know why I didn't get a notification for this threat I'm following. Yes, that's the iFlight XL7 V3 frame. BrainFPV Radix, Emax Pro 35A ESCs and the motors are BH Avenger 2507 1500kv V2 model

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax