Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Desoldering help

broncosdad1317

Reaction score
fo you tin the tip before desolderig too. Can’t melt the solder where the battery wires connect to the pdb I feel my tips big enough to do the job and I feel I may have over heated my pdb trying to get the wires off for the xt60 lead :( idk what to do.

Man I wish I could help but I’m in the process of learning soldering myself. Im sure one of our many builders on here will chirp in soon or a high tech type of guy, I can’t wait till I can actually do some decent work on a bird. It all looks easy on video. Lol
I know right. So stressed man. Just wanna do it right

Reactions: Wayno52
Bronco, this is a tough time for us as we are learning the art of soldering. For those that have been doing it for a while it is easy. I have always relied on someone else to do it for me as time and patience are not on my side most of the time. But I think that we should keep in touch over this and help each other as we learn.
I am very lucky to have someone that will put aside time to teach me when I can get the time. But time is the issue. Most days I leave home at 5am and get home at 7.30 pm and then Sunday I try to fly but always family first.
It’s not easy brother but we all help each other here, you already know that mate.

fo you tin the tip before desolderig too. Can’t melt the solder where the battery wires connect to the pdb I feel my tips big enough to do the job and I feel I may have over heated my pdb trying to get the wires off for the xt60 lead :( idk what to do.
Yes tin the tip....gonna be hard to melt the solder without solder on the tip (has that extra heat) ....be careful not to hold the iron on the board to long ....you don't want to fry anything.....take your time ....also you can use YouTube and watch other people and use their technique......hang in there.

Reactions: broncosdad1317
Thank you all. I perservered and asked for help and learned a lot today. I have a genius friend that solders thousands of joints a day. We been at it since 730am designing the layout and running all new motor wires from the motor leads like I originally wanted to do. We’re gonna be adding power filter capacitor as well. I hope I didn’t fry my pdb when trying to unsolder yesterday. It was pretty hot but my buddy says they are built to get pretty hot. Thank you all so much your reassuring words really make me feel good. So much love here. Love you all. And wayno I agree. Time to fly is few and far between here too. 5 kids family’s always first. Thanks again and here she is currently. All new motor wires no extension ugliness. ❤️

Attachments

• B2C8C424-DCBF-48FD-83B6-B606E7D45859.jpeg
    B2C8C424-DCBF-48FD-83B6-B606E7D45859.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 9
  • C5B0ED9B-DC46-40A9-AB45-CFCC2DA35876.jpeg
    C5B0ED9B-DC46-40A9-AB45-CFCC2DA35876.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 10
Yes, solder sucker and solder wick are necessary to proper soldering. Proper cleaning of your components before and after with isopropyl alcohol is often overlooked as well

Reactions: Futuramille
+1 on the Solder sucker, the wick, and practicing on old components (I get old computers from the local transfer station and pull stuff off them for practice. It is also a great source for lengths of wire, fans, weird connectors, etc.) . I flux the wick before I use it, but I prefer the sucker to the wick. Keep your iron tip cleaned and tinned, and, make sure that the iron is hot enough.

I am new to soldering also, and I pretty much trashed a micro VTX when I started off, but I am getting marginally better.

Peter T

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
happypapaya