Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Connect DJI FPV to Raptor 390

Timmehh

Reaction score
I've been staring at schematics, watching youtube videos, and googling like crazy. But I can't seem to find clear-cut answer on how (if I even can) wire the new DJI FPV system to my Raptor 390. Attached are the schematics of the two systems.

If I can't use the DJI with the 390, please let me know what flight controller I should get.

If I can, I'm also trying to understand what soft-config I'll need to do in beta-flight. This change will be switching the 390 from PPM mode, to SBUS mode.

Thanks in advance for any help!

q6u5x3zxvbe31.png

It looks like it will wire up.
If you have the full package with the Transmitter (Controller) wire like this

Starting with the top wire on DJI 3in1 cable.

Red (7.4-17.6 V) goes to top FC picture 12V camera 12V pin
Black goes to 12V camera GND pin
White goes to Image transmitter S pin
Grey goes to pin12V camera S pin
Brown goes to SBUS receiver GND
Yellow goes to SBUS receiver RX Pin 4

In Betaflight set the Ports tab (looks like it will be UART 3) turn on Configuration/MSP for port 3 and DO NOT TURN OFF Configuration/MSP on the first port, leave it turned On also, and save.

In Configuration tab set Receiver section to Serial Based for Receiver Mode and SBUS for Serial Receiver Provider and save.

In a future Betaflight and DJI update you will be able to change the Serial Receiver Provider to DJI HDL, and they say they will be able to get the entire Betaflight OSD working (over the White and Grey wires) but not yet.

If you DO NOT have the Controller then you DO NOT need to wire up Brown or Yellow.

This is as I understand it from the LeDrib video on how to hook it up. And it does make sense with what we hook up now on our current systems, so all should be good.

Reactions: Black sky
I had the White and Grey wires reversed, I have fixed it in the above post and it should be correct now.

White goes to 12V camera S pin
Grey goes to Image transmitter S pin

In Betaflight set the Ports tab (looks like it will be UART 3) turn on Configuration/MSP for port 3 and DO NOT TURN OFF Configuration/MSP on the first port, leave it turned On also, and save.

In Configuration tab set Receiver section to Serial Based for Receiver Mode and SBUS for Serial Receiver Provider and save.

In a future Betaflight and DJI update you will be able to change the Serial Receiver Provider to DJI HDL, and they say they will be able to get the entire Betaflight OSD working (over the White and Grey wires) but not yet.

If you DO NOT have the Controller then you DO NOT need to wire up Brown or Yellow.

This is as I understand it from the LeDrib video on how to hook it up. And it does make sense with what we hook up now on our current systems, so all should be good.
Thank you so much! This is the info I've been looking for.

One thing I've noticed is that it looks like most other FCs have solder pads instead of pin housings for where these wires are supposed to connect. That said, any opinion on if I should de-solder the pin housings from the FC and wire to the housing's pads, or cut the wires that are currently connected to the pin housings and solder to the wires?

I think that if you have the soldering skills, I would just tack solder the wires to the backside of the connectors, it can be a bit difficult to do this but with a small pointy tip it can be done. I would also seriously consider cutting and lap flow/heat shrink to the existing connector cables. The one thing I would do is not trim wires to length on the DJI harness and just wrap up the excess in a loop inside the frame somehow safely by maybe taping it down, I would want to preserve the DJI wire lengths as much as possible so I could move the system to a new quad without having to buy a new harness from DJI.

PLEASE see my updated post above, in the "Reply" copy of my post it still had the White and Grey wires hookup reversed, but I am hoping you saw my latest edit on this info

I think that if you have the soldering skills, I would just tack solder the wires to the backside of the connectors, it can be a bit difficult to do this but with a small pointy tip it can be done. I would also seriously consider cutting and lap flow/heat shrink to the existing connector cables. The one thing I would do is not trim wires to length on the DJI harness and just wrap up the excess in a loop inside the frame somehow safely by maybe taping it down, I would want to preserve the DJI wire lengths as much as possible so I could move the system to a new quad without having to buy a new harness from DJI.
Ok. So is your original reply now correct on which goes to what? The two edit replies have confused me a little.

I should be able to connect the wires to the backside of the socket. Will verify. The wires I was referring to cutting are the ones that currently socket into the Flight Controller, not the DJI ones. This would give me easy wire ends to solder to. I'll take a pic and post later.

White goes to Image transmitter S pin
Grey goes to 12V camera S pin

This is the correct version, White goes to Image Transmitter S pin, and Grey goes to 12V Camera S pin

1565034167376.png

Your welcome, but I think I have a new suggestion based on continuing to look over the DJI doc. The video S pins for the grey and white wire are video signal pins and I don’t think they are “UART’s” as DJI calls out. You don’t think you should hook up the grey and white for now until there is more clarity on if it would work and where they should go. Maybe there is a video out there that will explain that better but for now I wouldn’t chance hooking it up because you only get the DJI osd for now anyway. Maybe check LeDrubs hookup video?

Your welcome, but I think I have a new suggestion based on continuing to look over the DJI doc. The video S pins for the grey and white wire are video signal pins and I don’t think they are “UART’s” as DJI calls out. You don’t think you should hook up the grey and white for now until there is more clarity on if it would work and where they should go. Maybe there is a video out there that will explain that better but for now I wouldn’t chance hooking it up because you only get the DJI osd for now anyway. Maybe check LeDrubs hookup video?
I'll go check out the vid.

In the meanwhile, being new to this hobby, I just realized I don't have the 390....I have the X-Tower F4. Which doesn't even have beta flight. And the manual mentions nothing of SBUS. So now I'm trying to take the info you've given and port it to this board.....and verify that DJI doesn't require betaflight...

I have a Holybro Kakute F7 on the way....but the ESCs are coming from Canada so It won't be usable for a bit.

F4.png

I'm not sure I understand...
The FC (Flycolor X-Tower F4) does indeed run Betaflight, no matter what may be loaded on it now, and DJI does NOT require Betaflight, just SBUS support, and it does call out the SBUS connection. The rest of the connections are pretty straight forward also since it has 12V for camera and vTX which should be all you need. Let me know if you have any questions.

1565050025112.png

Hey @Timmehh, the more videos I watch and the more I read, the more I am not sure of a couple of the connections and configurations in BF. I think you need to do some more research and checking before you go to test this install, I could be off base on a couple of things. I am thinking now that the White and grey wires go to a UART (port) that you will set up as MSP in the ports setting, and that the SBUS needs to be setup on a different UART RX and that the corresponding port is set to Serial RX like usual. I am just not positive, so be careful.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
darshan rajput