Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Cheap lipo

Thanks Green, there is so much info out there that you simply can't read and weigh it all yourself, so it's nice to have multiple pairs of eyes and minds gathering and sharing info. I won't be buying any zops but the thread was great and my 2 favorite lines were...

"It's actually two CR2020s and a chiclet"
and
"but what is inside that potato, maybe a smaller lower c potato?"

I think that's funny :)

Reactions: Jtrjr
Also from that forum thread I saw the "LipoBench" website, so I am seeing what their testing says.

Any thoughts on my experience so far would be appreciated.

I have 12 ThunderPower Adrenaline series 1300 labeled 80c, I got 6 of the Steele Ripping Balls labeled and 6 of the regular labeled from DroneChargeUp.com and Jimi Kim out in California. He had them on sale for $23.99 and I got 6 of them. One of the batteries showed up with 0 volts on all cells and he replaced it and gave me a 20% off coupon for 1 order so I got 6 more which brought my total cost down to $21.60 each which seemed really good for those batteries. With no tax and free shipping I feel I made out pretty good for my first battery purchase as a newbie. Since then I have been pretty rough on them by dropping onto concrete, shorting, and even over discharging one accidentally down to 2.5 volts (resting) on one of the cells while the other 3 were between 3.4 and 3.6 resting. I have them all labeled and keep track of all the stupid stuff I have done to each one. After about 50 cycles on each I still can't see any difference in any of them as far as performance or IR is concerned. In fact some of the ones abused the worst (the short circuit and the over-discharged) come in cooler and with higher resting voltages than the others after the same 5:30 flight time and their IR readings are a bit better than all the other less abused cells. I continue to take notes on how many mah i get back into them each charge and the IR readings to see how my experience stacks up with all I read on this subject.

If I am not going to fly for a week I will store my batts in an ammo can with a couple huge desiccant packs in the refrigerator (40-42 degrees F).
How do you guys take care of yours?

I have not bought a bad lipo for my mini drones yet, Just buy the cheapo's labeled with high c ratings, even tho they are obviously labeled wrong, they're fine for these bigger mini quad motors.(so far its worked for me, knock on wood) I also charge everything on 1 c. I do buy a test pak first' before buying multiples.

Any thoughts on my experience so far would be appreciated.

I have 12 ThunderPower Adrenaline series 1300 labeled 80c, I got 6 of the Steele Ripping Balls labeled and 6 of the regular labeled from DroneChargeUp.com and Jimi Kim out in California. He had them on sale for $23.99 and I got 6 of them. One of the batteries showed up with 0 volts on all cells and he replaced it and gave me a 20% off coupon for 1 order so I got 6 more which brought my total cost down to $21.60 each which seemed really good for those batteries. With no tax and free shipping I feel I made out pretty good for my first battery purchase as a newbie. Since then I have been pretty rough on them by dropping onto concrete, shorting, and even over discharging one accidentally down to 2.5 volts (resting) on one of the cells while the other 3 were between 3.4 and 3.6 resting. I have them all labeled and keep track of all the stupid stuff I have done to each one. After about 50 cycles on each I still can't see any difference in any of them as far as performance or IR is concerned. In fact some of the ones abused the worst (the short circuit and the over-discharged) come in cooler and with higher resting voltages than the others after the same 5:30 flight time and their IR readings are a bit better than all the other less abused cells. I continue to take notes on how many mah i get back into them each charge and the IR readings to see how my experience stacks up with all I read on this subject.

If I am not going to fly for a week I will store my batts in an ammo can with a couple huge desiccant packs in the refrigerator (40-42 degrees F).
How do you guys take care of yours?
I don't take care of mine other than not discharging them too much.

I don't take care of mine other than not discharging them too much.
Yeah, about that...
How low do you run yours Vv? I am set up to alert when a vfas reading is 14.2 or lower and end up with a resting voltage between 14.9 and 15.1. am I leaving/taking too much in your opinion? What do you look for in a well used but not overused to the point of any detriment to longevity or performance, battery?
Thanks man!

I use to not run them down as far but they seem to do better this way and i'm also flying longer:D
I have yet to "use up" a pak, my oldest are a year old with lots of cycles. I have destroyed several with dead cells from damage and fiery chrashes

I parallel balance charge my small batteries (3S 450mAh and 4S 650mAh) at about 4C, about 4 at a time. I also individually storage charge (usually ends up being a discharge from about 14.9V depending on how far i drain them). These are rated 5C charge by Pulse.

My bigger batteries (4S 850mAh and 1300 mAh) I usually parallel balance charge at about 2C. I probably could do these higher too but the manufacturer doesn't list a 5C rating like Pulse does so I am a little more cautious.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
happypapaya