Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Can't get camera to show anything though headset it's just showing black and static

Spyro08642

Reaction score
idk why this is happening, I know it is not the camera, unless it is both of my cameras that are messed up, I know it's not my vtx, cause there is absolutely no way that all three of my vtx are messed up, and I have tried multiple antennas, I am using whatever camera that the Eachine Wizard x220 comes with, and also using the vtx that it comes with as well, idk what is up with this or how to fix it but I have been working on it for about a week now and am very frustrated about this, sometime I can get it to work, but then I could turn off the drone and then come back and it will not work again, I have no idea what is happening but I really need help with this cause no one seems to have had this problem because I can't find it anywhere on the internet. Thank you.

If you have your goggles tuned to the same frequency as the vTX you will get a black screen instead of snow if the vTX is working. If the goggles are NOT tuned to the same frequency as the vTX or the vTX is bad you will get snow. If the vTX is giving you a black screen but no picture then it is the camera, or more likely the wiring. Perhaps you can take a few pictures of how you have it wired?

If you have your goggles tuned to the same frequency as the vTX you will get a black screen instead of snow if the vTX is working. If the goggles are NOT tuned to the same frequency as the vTX or the vTX is bad you will get snow. If the vTX is giving you a black screen but no picture then it is the camera, or more likely the wiring. Perhaps you can take a few pictures of how you have it wired?
How can I tell what channel my vtx is going to, cause my headset like automatically scrolls through all channels to find one that works, so I am kinda thinking that that is what's causing the problem.

Ok I have now figured out that there is something wrong... with all three of my cameras, idk how this happened, I tested out three different cameras and still nothing, just black screen, I know it can't be the wire because it is giving out 5 volts like it should be, also I know it is not the board cause I have tried on two different ones, so idk what is causing this, is it just very unlucky and all three of my camera are broke, or is it something else?

You haven’t mentioned what type of goggles you have. I had a similar problem with a set of fatshark v3 that I had accidentally switched the input from wireless to hdmi after flying one of my phantoms around. Same screen as yours until I realised my mistake. I agree that it’s not likely that all your cameras are faulty and if your goggles are finding a channel using the auto function, you should at least have some sort of picture. The vtx on the wizard can be manually changed using the dip switches but it’s painful to change and most people just use the auto setting on the goggles.

Ok, a couple of things...
DO NOT just scan for your channel when the time comes to fly, auto scan almost never gets the channel correct, so you will have a picture until you fly a few feet away and then it goes out on you, but for this troubleshooting auto scan will be fine.
Next, only 3 wires are needed and if 5v and Ground are good, are you wiring the camera straight to the vTX or are they connected through the Flight Controller? If through the flight controller, try wiring the yellow wire from the camera directly to the video input pin on the vTX. Let us know

Reactions: Wayno52
Try checking the 5V source pads on the FC (flight controller) board. Make sure that it is not bridged to 12V. Most FPV cameras work well with just 5V (even if rated higher) and over-powering can do that or 'burn' the camera out completely. I have done that on my Wizard before.

Reactions: HighTechPauper
Hi. I have problame, Black screen but any time see coross....View attachment 3570
Hi @ogre7912, welcome to the forum!
The indications are that the camera is bad, wiring is wrong or OSD circuit on the FC is bad. Easiest way to troubleshoot this is to hook camera video straight to the vTX, if that works then the FC OSD traces and circuit may be bad. If you wired this all yourself (you built this quad) then double check that you wired the camera correctly to the FC.

Reactions: NeoCloneOne
And
Hi @ogre7912, welcome to the forum!
The indications are that the camera is bad, wiring is wrong or OSD circuit on the FC is bad. Easiest way to troubleshoot this is to hook camera video straight to the vTX, if that works then the FC OSD traces and circuit may be bad. If you wired this all yourself (you built this quad) then double check that you wired the camera correctly to the FC.
And what you think if vtx hot is normal?

And

And what you think if vtx hot is normal?
Yes, very hot is normal, they generate RF energy and get very hot by the nature of the circuitry. If you are not flying and are just troubleshooting you will want to turn power all the way down to 25mw (don't forget to turn it back up if you get it fixed and go to fly it) and it never hurts to put a fan on the quad to help keep the vTX cooler so that it is not weakened or damaged while sitting there. Also keep a close watch on battery voltage if it is plugged in for a long time, troubleshooting and setup can still kill a battery pretty quick even though the motors are not spinning.

Reactions: NeoCloneOne

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax