Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Can an all in one flight controller be used to make a tricopter?

johnny boyziel

Reaction score
I have an all in one flight controller for a micro quad that has a burned out ESC. Would it be possible to use the same flight controller with the remaining 3 good ESCs to make a tricopter?

Trying to fix the bad ESC seems a little too advanced for me.

Reactions: rtkDarling
That's a great question, I think it can. Tricopters aren't easy per se, they require a servo motor that tilts the back rotor, and that mechanism is usually the weak point in the craft. That servo may determine how small you can make a tricopter as well, because the servo has to be big enough to tilt the motor.

Put basically, the problem I see is that a micro board may not have enough amperage for the motors that you need because the tricopter will be bigger than the micro that your board came out of.

Take a look at this video

It would be impossible to make a tri out of that in any flyable way, you are much better served financially to replace the FC to make it a quad again, and just keep the motors and other parts for repairs on it's twin.

Yes, but it goes deeper than that, tri's are inherently unstable and the micro size just makes it worse, that is one reason they never caught on but quads did, having 4 rotors removes all those hurdles of servos and servo response speed and accuracy, not to mention how much easier it is to get stable flight out of a quad comparatively.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adax