Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Butterflight

Futuramille

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
So my new Flynoceros Sköll came with a helio spring AIO FC. this fc has a ton of features. Ive never used Butterflight though. this is BNF setup by Josh so all I want to do is setup channels and switches. is there anyone on the forum using butterflight? any tips?
JB did some vids Ive watched.. I have to asume the quad has the latest version.
Anyone ? good links and tips before I dive in?

I had a quad set up with butterflight for a while (changed it over to betaflight with this new update)
I don't think you'll see any difference at all. The interface is exactly the same. I think it's the filtering that's supposed to be different right?

Right after I flashed it butter came out with a new update too. I think I'm going to give it another try here soon

yes RTK, this FC has both an F3 and and F4 processor. the F3 (as i understand so far) is dedicated to gyro "filtering". leaving the F4 to do the rest creating a broader bus allowing for faster loop rates without having to over clock your processor.
The helio spring AIO FC was developed in tandem with butterflight. butterflight has code used only in helio FCs. not only is Flynoceros pushing helio but they made an H frame BFF (butter flight frame) just for it. Im getting to learn something new. Ill report as I find.
Randy, I just installed butterflight. we'll see. thanks for the responses guys.

Oh yea it didn't register at first. I saw kabab do a bit on the helio. I'm very curious how you feel about it. I know there is no "silver bullet", but I've got some pesky mid throttle oscillation on my 6" that I can't seem to tame. I was hoping the extra speed on the gyro and PID loop would sort it out for me. It's wishful thinking I know.

Looking forward to hearing how you like it, that frame looks sweeeeet!

Last edited:
I've got some pesky mid throttle oscillation on my 6" that I can't seem to tame. I was hoping the extra speed on the gyro and PID loop would sort it out for me. It's wishful thinking I know.

Hey RTK! Did you tweak PID's already or are you running BF defaults?

I had tweaked them a little. It was good on 4s, had some jello on 5s without an ND16, and 6s I had to cut the whole top off the throttle, and it wasn't suitable for filming. I'm speaking in past tense because I have 3 possible FCs that are suitable for my 6", but they all need rehab. One was roasted over the open fire of a 4in1, one got quite the opposite treatment and spent the night in a pond. The third is hooked up to my only working quad right now, but it's developed an intermittent twitch, and last time we flew, it shut off mid flight and restarted its self on impact.

I've never been able to keep a bird I've built in the air longer than a month. It's as much a testament to my crappy build skill as it is to my preferred flight spots. I feel like I've improved very quickly, but I'm pretty hard on my quads

So, since it's looking like I'll be buying a new FC soon, I've been eyeballing that helio. What do you fly / recommend?

Hey RTK! I am not the one to ask about FC's, I fly mostly ancient (but rock solid) F3's and F4's, but the Helio gets big raves by everyone and I just dont think you can go wrong with one if you are looking to buy.

being it was bnf, setup was a cake walk.
butterflight install was easy. bound the rx first and once plugged into pc it was easy to set the arming and other switches.
X9D setup included changing to TAER1234 and
aux 1 - arm
aux 2 - modes
aux 3 - beeper

I gotta still figure all the ton of display info etc but now have a in goggles maiden done. rolls, flips, 360+ yaws, sweet a$$ punch outs. Its just a bit soft so

I need to increase rates as AER are slow (usually run 771deg/s). still need to turn up the vtx to 200 but didn't have any issues seeing.
( : were very pleased so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: rtkDarling
The original rates were around 650dps, I raised them to 1005 with rate and super rate.. added 30 expo.
its too fast now so backing down to 800dps and going to 35 expo. should do the trick. Nate says it doesn't fly any different than the cerb 5" but its only battery #4 and tuning is underway.
what he's talking about is inertia, how it tosses and hang time. the sköll is 60g heavier than the cerberus v2, add the gopro and its.. not light. you can't feel it though, motors are running cool but still taking it easy.

The original rates were around 650dps, I raised them to 1005 with rate and super rate.. added 30 expo.
its too fast now so backing down to 800dps and going to 35 expo. should do the trick. Nate says it doesn't fly any different than the cerb 5" but its only battery #4 and tuning is underway.
what he's talking about is inertia, how it tosses and hang time. the sköll is 60g heavier than the cerberus v2, add the gopro and its.. not light. you can't feel it though, motors are running cool but still taking it easy.

I tend to like that heavy feel.
They don't sell a BNF model of your quad on their website, did you work something out special?

Reactions: Futuramille
yes, I pinged Josh the owner on messenger and he setup the invoice and pinged back with a link to the new order for me to payout. You can tell them what you want in it or do like I did and give them free reign to build it as they see fit. I built the cerberus 5" but the initial 2" and 3" builds were bnf custom jobs too. All the cerbs cost me around 375$ no matter the size. this skoll was a bit more at $505 delivered.

Reactions: rtkDarling
I was afraid to ask what you paid for it, those custom BNF jobs are always pretty pricey. I have a batman 220, that's my only BNF, and I treat it with kid gloves since I didn't build it and have no spares. That's the part that gets me with these BNF models: I'm just more scared to fly them. I feel like I'm harder on my rigs than most people, but maybe I'm wrong. Gotta push the envelope to get better right?

Of course you've got a warranty, but that's a few weeks out of pocket compared to a few hours of repair...
You can tell I'm still pretty new to all this because it still breaks my heart to break an arm. For a lot of these guys it's just another Saturday; cost of doing business

as for spares, If flyno frame parts break, arms included, you mail the broken part to them and they send back a new one...free of charge for life, guaranteed.
Nate hasn't had a crashless cerb 5" flight in four days. hes beating the crap out of it learning a new trick. I think we bent a front right Emax motor shaft yesterday as it landed straight on its face to pavement. (good thing the gopro wasnt on board)
I know the printed motor/arm guards help alot. zero frame damage and we cartwheel down the yard constantly. Nate keeps me busy fixing stuff. I fly considerably different than Nate.. I'm more conservative.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax