Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Broken antenna help

Roadking

Reaction score
Website
aerialdroneservice.myportfolio.com
I have a Emax Tinyhawk Freestyle toothpick quad and the end of the antenna broke off. If I go more than 30 yards i lose video.

I don't know much about proper replacement.

• Do I need to get the OEM replacement, or since it needs replacing should I get something better?
  • How do i determine what replacement will work?
  • Is it a matter of snapping one on, or do they typically get soldered on?

If there's a particular one that is best, please let me know the name.

Thank you for your help.

Have a feeling the oem antenna is soldered into place. No big deal, you can either find a replacement one or modify another style to suit. I’ve used a Lumenier micro AXii antenna in the past to replace the ones I’ve destroyed. If you can use a soldering iron and a sharp knife, it takes about twenty minutes and the result is a more durable and effective replacement.
I would almost suggest upgrading the vtx to one that can run at 200mW but the trade off will be increased power demand and less battery life.

I ordered the LUMENIER MICRO AXII SHORTY but just want to be sure I will be installing it correctly. Do I cut off the end, strip the shield and expose the center wire, and solder it to where the existing antenna is on the vtx board?
That is what you will have to do, connect center conductor and ground to the appropriate places isolated from each other. It can be delicate work and there is always a chance of accidentally losing some small sma component near the antenna location while trying to solder the antenna or ground wire. With just a little too much heat and things near can get lose and moved. Good luck!

Reactions: Roadking
? Soldered in the new antenna. Looks like it came out good but I can’t really test it until Friday.
Biggest challenge was keeping it out of the way from the props.
Thanks again.
You could just bench test it to see if you have a picture in your goggles so your tail is up when you venture outdoors. As for your clearing the props, you can never use enough cable ties ?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax