Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

BLheli says no ESC connection for all 4 ESC (4 in 1 Mamba f405)

Jamie34

Reaction score
Please help, I am new to the fpv drones and when I plug in my battery the motors do move a little bit and beeps, so I assume my esc can't be fried? I got the transmitter bound as well (the green light is on on the receiver) but it isn't recognized in betaflight when I move the sticks or try to set stick functions... In betaflight the motors do not spin when I do the test either, and it will not calibrate. Any input would be helpful, thanks.

Hi @Jamie34, welcome to the forum. Here are a couple things to research and think about regarding this.
Are you using BLHeli, or BLHeli32? You may be using the wrong one for the ESC you have.
Who built this quad and which port is the receiver on?
Did you check the tick box in the motors tab verifying the props are off and that you understand the risk?
ESC's only need "calibration" if the protocol being used is an Analog protocol (Oneshot, Multishot) and do not get calibrated if running a Digital protocol like DShot.

Normally we will need a little more info than you have provided, like what TX and what RX you are using, how you currently have the configuration in BF etc. Not seeing the sticks is a fairly common issue people run into, and it is usually wiring or config that is the issue.

@HighTechPauper I have tried both versions of BLHeli, and still no luck. The reviewer is a fr sky and it is on the S.bus uart 1 port of the mamba f405 4in1. Yes I have checked the tick box. I have serial RX turned on as well, so not sure what the issue is... I’m not sure what more info to provide so if you would tell me what to tell you that would be great. Thanks!

Reactions: Jtrjr
There is so much to know to troubleshoot this effectively, it is almost impossible to do with a few texts. When we are new, we just don't know what we don't know. If you need I can work with you to try and get things working, and teach you a little as we go. If you want, just PM me and we can figure out how to get started.

So in Ports tab you have UART 1 set for serial RX, and in the Config tab you are set for Serial Provider and set to SBUS below that?
In BLHeli you are using the same port that you connect with BF, but you have "disconnected" in BF before you try to connect in BLHeli?

Yes I have UART 1 set for serial RX, and in the Config tab I am set for Serial Provider and set to SBUS below that. In BLheli it says "found no valid esc configuration." I have tried about everything I can find online and am thinking the ESC could be fried. If it were fried would it be possible for the motors still to spin when I plug the battery in? Because they move when I first plug it in so I thought it could not be fried?

Reactions: NeoCloneOne
Yes this is what happens, so the ESC is fine which is good. Can you think of any reasons why it wont recognize it in BLheli? The other issue I am having is the transmitter not being recognized in Betalflight even though it is bound to the receiver, which is connected to Uart1 S.bus. Could one of these issues be the cause of the other? Or are these going to be two separate problems?

I don’t think the 2 issues could be related since you have bad indications during multiple different tests. There are all kinds of things that could cause issues, but there isn’t any silver bullet to fix things. Did you build this quad yourself, or is it a pre-built? If the battery is attached when you try to spin up the motors in the motors tab (which bypasses the FC functionality) then you have bigger issues. If battery power is getting to the ESC then it will make the 5 tone startup sounds, do you get all 5 tones, or only 3?

Oops, let me rephrase that...
If the ESC makes only 3 tones at startup, then the FC is not being seen by the ESC, if you get all 5 then that means the FC is being seen by the ESC

I only get 3 startup beeps... How would I make it be seen by the ESC? I have tried resoldering and no luck. I built this myself.

Reactions: NeoCloneOne
I only get 3 startup beeps... How would I make it be seen by the ESC? I have tried resoldering and no luck. I built this myself.
Well, at least we know where the start of your problems are. Without the FC and ESC being properly connected we now know why you cannot see the ESC's in BLHeli, why the motors won't spin up in the motors tab, and it could also be the reason why you are not getting receiver inputs to the FC.

I have recently built a new racer with this exact same board. First, make sure you have your receiver's signal wire soldered to the sbus labeled pad on your FC board (left side with arrow orientated forward). Also, what you can check is the multi-wire harness from the ESC to the FC (red wires). The connectors make bad contacts to the plugs on the boards and I had to jiggle them to get it to work sometimes, so what I did instead was solder each wire to their respectable places to get a better, more solid connection. This is tedious because there are 8 wires and the solder pads on both boards are tiny and close to each other (careful not to bridge the solder by accident before plugging battery in). If you get all 5 tones on battery plug in, then all should be working fine. You should see all ESCs on BLHeli, too.

Reactions: Jtrjr
Sorry to bring the thread back but I am have the same issues with my F405 mk2 stack. I am running the MamabaF405US firmware in beta flight and I can get my motors to spin up fine in the beta flight motor tab. When I try the Blheli configurator it recognizes the board as an F405 but does not load the page to make changes. When I use the Blheli 32 suit I can connect over usb and it seems there are four ESCs but it can't seem to talk with them. I get motors twitching and three beeps on power up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

The ESC runs Dshot 600 and you should be using BlHeli_s not BlHeli_32 to configure it. Check your COM port setting to make sure you are selecting the right one in BlHeli_s it won't be able to communicate with the ESCs if not set right. You should have battery connected/ props off always when starting up BlHeli_s.

Reactions: tevek
hi all, sorry to pick in on this but i have a similar problem? i'm new to forums and drone racing. Should i start e new topic? but what if none of the tones are coming up when connecting to the battery? i am able to connect to betaflight... just not able to get the motors fonctioning...

Hi Mr. Eatan. Welcome to the forum and drone racing. Sorry to say, but if you plug in your battery and get no tones, your ESC board may be fried. Did you check your XT60 solder connection to the ESC power pads and make sure they are the correct polarity? Does the LED lights turn on when you plug in the battery or just when hooking up the FC to Betaflight using the USB cable? Your FC may still be good. You should start a new topic for this.

Hi Mr. Eatan. Welcome to the forum and drone racing. Sorry to say, but if you plug in your battery and get no tones, your ESC board may be fried. Did you check your XT60 solder connection to the ESC power pads and make sure they are the correct polarity? Does the LED lights turn on when you plug in the battery or just when hooking up the FC to Betaflight using the USB cable? Your FC may still be good. You should start a new topic for this.
ok, thx for the reply! sorry for asking in this thread.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax