Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Binding problem fixed, now other issues.

I'm pretty sure that they were DVR videos as they had all of the OSD display in them. I don't remember any particular one at this time but I will remember to pass one along when I find one.

But according to what you said and I quote... "I routinely go 6 football fields (600 yards) on 200mw" I certainly was not getting even a third of that distance with the stock vTX. There is something that I am doing wrong I guess.

Reactions: Deleted member 3641
I think you may not understand what I mean when I say that, I am talking about 600 meters clear line of sight, and it is a snowy jumbled mess as you get pretty far out, but you learn to fly through that as long as you are familiar with where you are AND can see just enough to tell where you are going to try and get back to a better picture range. Even at 800mw at 100 feet away, when you go behind a tree or a building it is breakup city, power is not a linear thing (meaning 800mw is NOT 4x better than 200mw), and a lot depends on the quality of your equipment (and if any of it is performing poorly due to damage). Also, don't forget, when you run an onboard (but pretty fragile) HD cam and onboard DVR, you get the entire video feed recorded including the OSD.

I'm pretty sure that they were DVR videos as they had all of the OSD display in them. I don't remember any particular one at this time but I will remember to pass one along when I find one.

This video shows the goggle feed. If you right click in the video and copy the link, and then watch it on youtube and not here, you can see the gear used posted below the video. For where he is flying hes not getting that much breakup. I don't know enough to say if and how much flight time you would lose at that wattage though.

I remember seeing that video a while back and thinking daaayyyyuummm that Mr. Steel has some serious skills. As for the 800mw, it apparently served him well in that rip. Through the building, behind the building, he never had a moment that would have made him lose control of his quad.

I understand what you are talking about with the clear LOS and flying. I thought I had bought some of the best FPV equipment but maybe I need to rethink it. My goggles are the FS HD3's with the LaForge V4 modules installed. I am using the " Far Vew Pagoda-2 Omni 5.8ghz FPV Antenna RHCP" and the Triple Feed Patch 5.8G SMA Antenna with RF Termination Dummy Load 50 Ohm on them. The quad is using a RHCP pagoda as well. So, if I am not using what I should be using, let me know.

There is a church down the road from me that has a large open field and playground that I am going to fly at next... whenever it stops raining long enough to dry the grass.

Ok, a couple things...
That is his "very rough" gear list, I know for a fact that he is mot running those goggles anymore for instance, but the HD3 perform the same as what he is using. His RapidFIRE (same I run) is better than laforge but it likely is NOT night and day different. He is running great antennas and I happen to use the original Mad Mushroom also just not the Crosshair Xtreme, and I can guarantee he has a TBS Triumph V1 on the quad, so his vRX and antennas are better BUT...
That is not the DVR from his goggles, that is a stand alone ground station with a good H.264 @ 60 FPS DVR, many advantages to that (like the antennas always point the same way and don't move with your head, away from the head wich is a big RF blocker, etc etc) but I guarantee that is not from his HDO2's DVR. Also he is again guaranteed to be running a TBS Unify of some kind that will do at least 800mw, so that helps too.

Now some other things...
He is a pro and a quad God in this hobby, he has new cutting edge stuff all the time since he and Trappy (Raphael Pirker who owns TBS) are best buds, and Trappy even helped him launch Ethix and is a part owner with Steele and Eric Konetski (KonastyFPV), it is hard to try and match what they have.

Those links are not the gear he is running at this exact moment in time, it is a rough idea with "sponsored" links so he gets a small commission if you click ANY of them and then buy ANYTHING within like 24 hours after clicking (unless you click someone else's link like Bardwell or something).

He is not really flying far away at all, and there are a ton of holes in the building facing him that lets the RF shoot out, but I can guarantee he is using top of the line VAS antennas (he and Alex Grieve VAS owner are also good friends. There are a dozen other reasons why yours may not be quite as good, but if you were to spend the money, do spectrum analyzer checks, set yourself to the best frequency (based on exact center frequency of the antennas etc) that you would get there.

Just as a few observations on the differences, there are more, but this is a start.
Me and Steele at the FAA protest with ForeverMoore in the middle taking the selfie (can't remember his real name or FPV handle, just his media company name)

Reactions: graywoulf
The video and gear listing is two years old. I posted it merely as a reference so he could see what he was using as he uses great gear. With everything listed in the gear list, I see no ground station setup. I would think he would list it and try to make money off of it as well it it were being used but I don't really know that.

Reactions: HighTechPauper
He doesn't make money off of that exact list only, he makes money any time you click one of those links, no matter what yo buy after that, look into how affiliate links work. I hear what you are saying, but I know that is not a FS DVR recording.

Well, one thing is for sure and that is that since that video was uploaded, a lot has changed as far as FPV gear. I am considering buying the RDQ Mach 3 Video Transmitter 25-1000mW VTX 2-6S for the Wizard. I don't need that much output power but the price is right and it has a lot of features for the $25 price.

I have a pair of the TBS Triumph antennas that was part of a box of parts that I think I am going to use. I just need some adapters for them. Maybe that will help a lot but I won't know until I try them.

Thanks to both of you guys for the information and education. ?

Well, I installed a TBS Triumph antenna on my goggles and went out to fly my Tinyhawk II ( I love this tiny whoop ) since it has a 200mW vTX on it and I saw a big difference in what I was used to seeing. I actually flew 8 packs and I had a blast.

I did record the last two flights with the DVR and when I got the card into my laptop, I was really surprised to see a whole lot more video dropout from the DVR than what I actually saw while flying. I was flying around trees and barely getting a flicker from the trees blocking me. That surprised me the most as I was used to losing the video signal completely before. I can't wait to fly the X220 now and I have a new vTX on order for it.

So, why is the DVR footage so bad?

Because ALL FS DVR's SUCK!!! Period!!!
There are only a couple "good" DVR's on the market for us, and only 1 is actually in the goggle, the others are stand alone.

I agree with the suck factor for sure. So, which goggles have the good DVR?

Yeah, I hear you, and the FPV.One are not without risks, they are a very high performance "computer" that can be upgraded (unlike a FS) but it does bring complexity to the platform. For $500 for HDO2's, another $150 for the RX module (assuming top shelf RapidFIRE), then you are already at the price of the FPV.One WITHOUT an RX, but you get a great DVR (H.264 @ 60 FPS) and right now you can also get a Pro set of antennas and a battery for free if you order directly from Orqa and it would only cost about $605 (on sale for 539 Euro's which today converts to about US$605-ish).

Oops, looks like I made a mistake, their deal with GetFPV won't allow them to sell to the US, so the price is back to US$649 just for the goggles alone unless GetFPV does another package deal, but since Orqa is then GetFPV may too in the near future. Also there are a few other vendors that will be carrying them so there could be a slightly better deal on them at some point. I noticed that Pyro and NewBeeDrone say they are getting a limited batch also, still $649 though.

Out of my league for sure. May as well buy the DJI goggles and camera.

On another note... I remembered that when I bought my FS HD2 goggles (not HD3 as I said previously), they came with the older Furious true D module ( White one with thumbwheel ) that was a hit some years back so tell me which is a better choice... the Furious True D module or the LaForge V3 modules? Yeah, I know I said V4 before but I was wrong.

Given those 2 choices I would say the Laforge, but I know the FuriousFPV True-D 3.X module is a bit better IMHO for about $60, I still run one on my HDO's and the RapidFIRE in my Orqa's. When I did the Kickstarter for the Orqa goggles I got them for $500 and the HDO2's and DJI were not out yet so I got a bit better of a deal than you can get today through the Kickstarter. DJI is nice, but I will likely never switch since I have too many whoops that can't run it and too much invested in analog.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
happypapaya