Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Betaflight difficulties

Oarmaster

Reaction score
I recently purchased betafpv hx115 toothpick drone with a dsmx receiver. I downloaded betaflight and the drivers successfully but I am having such difficulty binding to my Spektrum dx6. I was always hesitant to tackle betaflight but read some great reviews about the hx115 fpv quad. I have had really good luck with my Walkera f210 and Rodeo 110 which is ready to fly with three flight modes which seems quite adequate. But most really great quads need to be setup up in betaflight. It appears many struggle with betaflight? It would be so cool if there was a flight controller configurator that was a little bit more intuitive and not quite so cumbersome. I'm still waiting to get my HX 115 in the air and a response from Getfpv..

Don’t know much about using Spektrum transmitters and the binding process, but a quick google search turned up quite a few videos that dealt with the subject. You don’t need Betaflight to get your quad bound but as you say, it’s quite daunting digging around it the first time. There are plenty of excellent videos dealing with Betaflight and you may want to look either Joshua Bardwell or Project Blue Falcon to help you out.
As for the hx115, I’ve got one and it screams. Be prepared to be entertained and pick a wide open spot to start with...

Bit of an update on the hx115, whilst I talked it up regarding how it quick it is (and it is), I forgot to mention how much of a pig it was to set up. Compared to my other smaller quads, it was the least favourite to fly and would just freak out for no apparent reason (wobble mid flight, fly like crap in acro etc). So today I updated to the latest firmware (4.2) reloaded the original cli dump and it flew like a champ. I was so confident with it amongst the trees that I eventually snagged it on a branch 10 mtrs up and chainsawed it down. The wife just laughed and apart from a bent prop, it flew just fine.
May even throw it in the backpack with the other favourite children.

I tried and tried to bind hx115 with the installed Spektrum receiver to my Spektrum dx6. I watched several videos, contacted Getfpv as well as Betafpv. After a very frustrating experience I ended up sending it back to Getfpv.
For a few years I have been flying a Walkera f210 and a Rodeo 110. They both fly well out of the box. However I would love to have access to the many very cool race quads available.
I just do not understand why Betaflight is so cumbersome??

BetaFlight is not as cumbersome as you think. You only have to know enough on what you are gonna use with it and what you want your quad to do. It is a tool to fine tune your quad (or other RC model planes, helicopters, multirotor drones) to your preference and flying ability. Like with anything, you just need to get used to the functionality of each menu and operation with a lot of practice and through mistakes along the way. It won't come overnight and you'll need some patience. But eventually you can use it for your advantage. I've used BF for years on my quads and am still learning on it (plus the fact that they keep updating the versions). But if you get used to the basics of how BetaFlight is utilized, then that's really all you need to know (unless you are a perfectionist and wanna dig into it, you can go through all the 'read me' documentation that explains all the functionality of each mode and adjustment). Just think of BetaFlight as your 'friend' in the hobby. Good luck & Happy flying!

Reactions: tevek

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Young_Kinslee23232