Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Best tips/tricks for making quad more durable.

Bstanton89

Reaction score
ok, so I know they can’t be super tough, and the best way to keep them running is don’t crash them, but I’m a noob and crashing is inevitable. So my question to some of you more experienced crashers and builders is this: What extra build tips or tricks have you learned over the years to help things last through some rough flying? I’m not talking about using a stronger frame, that’s obvious. I mean stuff along the lines of hot gluing solders and stuff like that.

I always keep in mind to try and make sure the electronics are protected as much as possible. Heatshrink over ESCs helps. I used to wire-tie them to arms but wire-ties can crack an ESC in a hard crash, so now I just wrap em in PVC electrical tape a couple of layers. Some even recommend cutting old prop blades to fit over the ESCs before taping over them (this adds weight to your quad though - but protect them from running props, should they breakaway and fly off during a crash). Make sure your wires are tucked in nicely and have enough 'slack' to give at the solder joints, so they won't crack when the frame flexes on hard impacts. Put silicon rubber cement over FC/ PDB or 4-in-1 ESCs (if you are using those) wiring/ solder connections to protect them from shorting with each other (this also adds weight). Protect your batteries from impact as much as possible (use dampening rubber gripping pad material or similar - one good recommendation I found out by googling is to use bicycle rubber tubing). Most of the suggestions add a little weight to the quad. If you are a racer, you will want to keep your quad as light as possible, and those tips may not work for you. Sometimes winning for racers means taking a risk by not protecting the delicate items onboard the quad, just to keep it lightweight as much as possible.

I like to:

-Use conformal coating (waterproof electronics)
- cover wires with paracord or heat shrink (protect motor wires)
-Soft mount electronics with o-rings (vibration isolation)
-Soft mount motors with silicone pads (noise, vibration isolation)
-print TPU battery pad under frame (protect battery from screws and provide grip)
-zip tie battery lead to frame or standoff (protect ESC/PDB battery pads from being ripped out)
-more heat shrink and conformal coating :D

Last edited:
And some of the funnest places to fly can be deleterious to your drone.....so keep it easy and fly over grass....until your ready to take that chance.

Reactions: NeoCloneOne
And some of the funnest places to fly can be deleterious to your drone.....so keep it easy and fly over grass....until your ready to take that chance.
I agree. My son crashed into a tree with his quad and damaged the JST-XH charging connector on a brand battery I just bought. I was pissed, but the 'fun' part was getting the quad down out of the tree. Good thing I have spares in a kit I picked up earlier.

great list of to-do Green.. i still need to try conformal coating.
please expand on this battery handling. tattu 1300 95c 4s aren't cheap and all my quads have underslung batteries.

I just print a TPU pad in the shape of the bottom plate, with holes in it to recess the screws on the bottom of the frame. Usually I will put some ridges like a shoe sole for grip. Also I use low infill like 15% so it is a bit squishy. For the Merica, I found one to download on thingiverse that I will modify slightly to my preferences.

Mostly it keeps the bottom screws from gouging a hole in the pack.

thanks for the detail! i need to try a 3d printer i guess. I've been trying to hold out getting one but what a great tool.

Yeah, I got a refurbished Monoprice Maker Select Plus which is a relabeled Wanhao i3 Plus. It was cheap at $279 but I ended up having to disassemble 85% of it to fix all the problems with it. But after fixing it and doing some cheap and free upgrades, it prints like a $1000+ printer.

Maker Select Plus 3D Printer (Open Box) - Monoprice.com

Totally worth it if you don't mind working on it a little.

Mount your vtx loosely so that it moves instead of breaks in a crash
Quads strengthen themselves after lots of crashes, you learn what breaks and why

oh snap! i like that allot Green. mine is all nakid and sliding around. all i have is some wally world foam and not enough. anyone try those gel pads (forget the real name) 1527186657245380420182.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax