Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Beginners need help

lipsbled

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have a group of roughly 5 friends , we reside in Singapore (Yes the Trump-Kim summit place)

We all fly in common, some DJI Mavic, Sparks. But lately we are growing into the idea of FPV racing.

Roughly first we wish to get into some RTF sets like the Wizard X220s, or Wizard TS215.

There are some questions that we have though.

1) Should we hop onto a 5S Battery immediately?
2) RTF sets do not come with FPV system, what are the exact parts required for a FPV system, only the goggles?
3) Should we also get many spare motors/props/flight controllers?

Thanks for understanding we are complete noobs at these, only flew some DJIs

Thanks alot

1. 5s and 6s is a huge amount of power, heavier, and more expensive, some start with 3s but I would start with a few 4s and once you can fly that good enough you can try a bigger one but 4s is plenty and what most people are flying, even the pros.

2. The quads you call out, and most quads, have FPV already, you just need some kind of goggles to see the action.

3. You will likely need a bunch of props but there are so many different styles and pitches that I would not get too many of any one kind until you know which ones you like. You will likely bend a motor bell or 2 at some point so you will likely want an extra or 2. FC's shouldn't break, I have never broken one so I would skip that.

In my opinion, the 4in1 ESC's on a lot of birds are not ideal until you are a very good pilot, when 1 or more blows, and they will especially on the cheaper quads, then you will need to replace a much more expensive board with a lot more soldering. If you get a model with individual ESC's (like the original Wizard X220) then you will only replace a single ESC out on the arm which is much cheaper and a whole lot less soldering to get flying again.

I fully agree with HighTechPauper. Im also not sold on having a 4 in 1 board quite yet. They are quite a bot more expensive and I would imagine not easy to troubleshoot when your drone is having issues

Reactions: NeoCloneOne
Just wish to check, if we were to add a 2-4s LC filter, means we can’t fly 5s batts?

it will burn the LC Filter?

An LC filter will not allow you to run a higher voltage, it would only clean up noise spikes in the line. The number of battery cells is limited by the input voltage range of the ESC's and motors can handle and the Eachine X220S is rated for 5s, but there is never a guarantee that it will not blow something. Best method in my book is to run 4s for a while to make sure it can handle that before putting a 5s on, or plug a 5s in first and see if it can take it.

The problem with switching to 5 or 6S is that it totally changes the throttle curve. Say you're getting 350g of thrust at half throttle on 4S, if you switch to 5S you're suddenly getting 500g. This is why seeing guys running 5or 6S switching to much lower kv motors and higher pitch props. It's actually more efficient as you're not pumping as much current through the motors

Hi Guys,

I have a group of roughly 5 friends , we reside in Singapore (Yes the Trump-Kim summit place)

We all fly in common, some DJI Mavic, Sparks. But lately we are growing into the idea of FPV racing.

Roughly first we wish to get into some RTF sets like the Wizard X220s, or Wizard TS215.

There are some questions that we have though.

1) Should we hop onto a 5S Battery immediately?
2) RTF sets do not come with FPV system, what are the exact parts required for a FPV system, only the goggles?
3) Should we also get many spare motors/props/flight controllers?

Thanks for understanding we are complete noobs at these, only flew some DJIs

Thanks alot
Eh x220s had some issues, go with the x220 in my opinion, plus the esc's that come on that max at 4s which is plenty, and you'll need to get goggles but that should be it for fpv. Happy flying! I also fly a wizard M3talrocksFPV

The problem with switching to 5 or 6S is that it totally changes the throttle curve. Say you're getting 350g of thrust at half throttle on 4S, if you switch to 5S you're suddenly getting 500g. This is why seeing guys running 5or 6S switching to much lower kv motors and higher pitch props. It's actually more efficient as you're not pumping as much current through the motors

Everything said here is true, but I run 6s on my Rooster/Titan/2450kV sometimes and it is something you can work with once you have enough practice. If I don't push too hard I can get a 9+ minutes flight out of it, so it is doable just not the best for racing tho freestyle it is fun.

Eh x220s had some issues, go with the x220 in my opinion, plus the esc's that come on that max at 4s which is plenty, and you'll need to get goggles but that should be it for fpv. Happy flying! I also fly a wizard M3talrocksFPV

I agree wholeheartedly here, the OSD, F4 FC and other features do not make the shortcomings worth it IMHO. I run 3 Wizard X220 quads still and they are my go to's for all my sketchy first tries Lol, doubt I will ever give them up, they are pretty legendary for what they are. I think they are one of the best beginner quads you can get, especially when I got my 3 for $99 a piece on sale, added an XSR for $15 and I had 3 quads to learn on for the price of 1 of some of the other birds out there. When you first start, you crash a lot, and blow a few ESC's and bend a motor bell or 2, they are pretty sturdy and easy to fix.

Yes, the Wizard X220 is a great quad to begin with, practice FPV on and keep as a back quad when you start getting or building newer ones. The RTF comes with an FPV camera and VTX with antenna (you will probably want to upgrade those later, because sometimes there is a lot of noise and some blackouts of picture). The only thing it doesn't come with is a receiver for your radio transmitter, and goggles (get a reliable pair - like Fatshark, Aomway, or Skyzone). It is a great setup that withstands many crashes for learning to fly FPV.

Reactions: HighTechPauper

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax