Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Alternatives to DJI

coyote_dc5

Reaction score
It seems if you want to go digital FPV you need to go DJI which is expensive.

Why aren't the other analogue players offering digital yet to give the consumer some options ?

It's the only thing holding me back as i can't stomach the $$$$$ on the goggles alone

Reactions: HighTechPauper
It seems if you want to go digital FPV you need to go DJI which is hellish expensive.

Why aren't the other analogue players offering digital yet to give the consumer some options ?

It's the only thing holding me back as i can't stomach the $$$$$ on the goggles alone
Wait till they have a sale again, I got mine for 420 on fathers day sale. Plus they are not really that more expensive if you factor in Fatsharks hdo2 with the module and and antennas come out to cost more. Fatshark is coming out with their own system called sharkbyte however still not released and their first version bytefrost was pretty much a failure since you needed a ground station and the quality was not as good as dji.

It's almost like DJI have something "secret" figured out that others can't seem to figure out. How can DJI get such great results, reliability, and range all in a "reasonably" affordable package? It's witch craft I tell ya LOL.

It's almost like DJI have something "secret" figured out that others can't seem to figure out. How can DJI get such great results, reliability, and range all in a "reasonably" affordable package? It's witch craft I tell ya LOL.
They are really big company in China, BigAl, if you really want the full immersion you will go with DJI when your ready to go long range, I posted a video in the videos section if you want to get an idea what I see in the goggles, that video was recorded from my goggles as you can see even a mile away there was no breakup.

They are really big company in China, BigAl, if you really want the full immersion you will go with DJI when your ready to go long range, I posted a video in the videos section if you want to get an idea what I see in the goggles, that video was recorded from my goggles as you can see even a mile away there was no breakup.

Great video and WOW!!

I'm still getting used to "Seeing the props" because that's been a big No-No in my professional aspect for so long now LOL!

Great video and WOW!!

I'm still getting used to "Seeing the props" because that's been a big No-No in my professional aspect for so long now LOL!
Yes, I hear ya, you can get frames that wont show the props, or you can mount a gopro on the quad. For me, the props do not bother me since I am doing this just for fun.

Yes, I hear ya, you can get frames that wont show the props, or you can mount a gopro on the quad. For me, the props do not bother me since I am doing this just for fun.

Yea it doesn't matter at all for this type of flying I'm just having to break old standards of cringing when I see the props come into view LOL!

• Haha
experience, they have been in the digital game for a long time even if they are very new to fpv

There are many challenges when developing a digital HD video link that has stability at long range. The reality is that DJI has been developing this technology for well over a decade with a healthy budget whereas the other players in this space are newer to the digital HD game and have arguably smaller budgets. Look at companies like VISLink and others that have commercial HD video transmitters. most cost $5000+ and have a range of less than a mile.

Clearly developing this technology for a consumer grade product in the price range that the market can bear is no small feat! That being said, DJI has done an amazing job from the beginning from the various versions of 2.4GHz Lightbridge to the 5.8GHz FPV system, they are the leaders in developing this technology. Fatshark has a half-baked product out now (Sharkbite) but the price point is right there with DJI and Orca have announced they are working on a digital system, but it will take some time and Orca is a premium brand and will command a price that reflects that. I believe any digital HD system will be priced somewhere around the DJI price point due to the investment and challenges required to bring to market. So hoping for a $200-$300 digital system is probably years away if it ever happens.

Reality is at the moment, DJI has the best product with the best user experience by a long shot. It is expensive, but comparable high-end analog goggles with a diversity receiver and all the extras cost as much or more that DJI digital goggles. Best advice is go all in if you can afford it and believe this hobby is for you or go lower end till you know what you want. Resale on gear typically nets 50-60% return on investment on mid range gear and slightly higher on the best gear. Buy once, cry once! DJI will not disappoint.

Rumors have been circulating that DJI is about to release v2 of their FPV system before end of the year. Photos have been circulating of a possible new DJI FPV radio and drone (with single axix gimblal) but no leaks on the v2 goggles as of yet, but everyone is hoping that the hints of a controller and drone must be leading to a new goggle as well. If you already have something to get you flying, you may want to wait a month to see if the new DJI system launches before year end like the rumors have been indicating.

Attachments

• Z2e8A8N.png
    Z2e8A8N.png
    2 MB · Views: 1
  • Ea3X_oMWoAA5NOB.jpg
    Ea3X_oMWoAA5NOB.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 1
  • EjpqlppXkAUy3By.jpg
    EjpqlppXkAUy3By.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 1
That's great as it will lead to a mass of v1 goggles entering 2nd market or even better the RRP on a new set coming down to allow people like me not wanting to spend £600+ on a set of FPV goggles

That's great as it will lead to a mass of v1 goggles entering 2nd market or even better the RRP on a new set coming down to allow people like me not wanting to spend £600+ on a set of FPV goggles

LOL! You may be right about the used market flooding with V1 once V2 are released. Alot of people are hoping for HDMI in/out and OLED screens. Fingers crossed DJI delivers. As for the price, DJI controls the price at the retaillers. Everyone has the same price. From what I hear, it sounds like DJI has already stopped shipping V1 to distributors and traditionally the price from v1 to v2 to v3 stays pretty constant but resellers may start lowering their prices in anticipation of the new products. We've already seen this here in Canada where several retailers have reduced the price by 15% already.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
colorsone