Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Advice on 4s or 6s please.

Piccopower

Reaction score
My next build will be a chameleon frame..5 inch.
I'm looking at the JB 2407/2500kv motors....I do freestyle so I'm looking for the punch and quick acceleration....
Would a 6s build with these motors produce more punch or acceleration than let's say 2207/1800 kv....
Again I want to stay with the 2407 motors....just trying to see if it's worth it on 6s.

Mathematically it will, KV is RPM per volt input so it will spin faster on 6s than 4s. That being said, if it was an optimal combination everyone would be doing it, but they aren’t. I run 6s sometimes on my Rooster with 2450KV motors, and the punch is incredible, but the main reason for 6s is less battery voltage sag, as you can always get punch from a higher KV motor and/or steeper pitch props.

Mathematically it will, KV is RPM per volt input so it will spin faster on 6s than 4s. That being said, if it was an optimal combination everyone would be doing it, but they aren’t. I run 6s sometimes on my Rooster with 2450KV motors, and the punch is incredible, but the main reason for 6s is less battery voltage sag, as you can always get punch from a higher KV motor and/or steeper pitch props.

Yeah that makes sense.... with your Rooster...you mainly fly 4s but have the components to fly 6s?

So, this was a BNF from Armattan and it was sold as 4-6s capable... but these things are always problematic and often unique to the specific quad in question, but here is the basics about how I evaluate this...

The reality is that for the propulsion side of this, the only actual requirement is that the ESC's be rated at 6s, and the Spedix ESHV-30's on it are. vBat never gets directly to the motors so even though they are only rated at 4s this thing still works in that it hasn't blown up. 6s rated motors didn't begin to flourish until over this last year and weren't available back then, and now they are starting to beef them up enough to be "rated" at 6s.

BUT!!!
I can easily get desyncs and flip of death if I punch a fresh 6s out of the gate on this thing, but as the battery comes off the top I have better stability.

Over winter I will add caps to each of the esc's and maybe evaluate different motor timing settings, and test it again in the spring. And fly it on 4s until I can make improvements. Likely I could run 5s with no issues based on 6s performance and find that it is reliable enough to rip it like that, but if I can I will mod it and see if I can get 6s reliability.

Reactions: Piccopower
Nice...I think for now I will stick with the 4s and maybe the next one will be an actual 6s build....when you make the changes keep me/us posted as I'm curious the over all outcome.

Reactions: HighTechPauper

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax