Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Advice getting an FPV drone, goggles, and controller

AutenTECH750

Reaction score
So I'm new to FPV. I'm looking for an FPV drone, goggles, and a controller but I have no idea what I'll need. Could someone maybe offer advice or maybe just sell me a complete setup. I'm hoping to be able to mount a GoPro on it so just take that in mind. Thanks

@AutenTECH750

Something that could support a GoPro is going to be a larger drone and somewhat costly to repair after crashes. If you are just starting out you might want to consider starting with a smaller "Whoop" style quad. They are lighter and have protective ducts or hoops around the props. There will be many crashes starting out and you wouldn't want to trash a GoPro while learning to fly. You have a great idea in your other thread to learn on a sim first. Even with that, there will still be some crashes. The whoop style quads hold up fairly well in a crash and keep on flying. There are some that come with onboard DVR's so you can record your flight. Some of the goggles also have built in DVR's. They will not look as good as a GoPro but aren't bad for what they are.

This was recorded right from the FPV camera using a combo VTX/DVR on a 75mm whoop. Its not very good video but you can look back at your flight. I fly straight into a tree and only had to realign the battery and keep going. That is one of the great things about these little guys. It is also small enough that I fly it indoors as well without breaking anything I run into. Great for practicing on bad weather days.

This was recorded on a Caddx Turtle 1080p which has an onboard DVR. You would want a 85mm whoop to support the weight.

Caddx and RunCam also have 4K versions available with DVR. There are plug and play quads that come with these on them. I don't have one of those to show video from.

Also the files on my computer look better than the same video on Youtube...

As far as goggles, there are soooo many different ones to choose from and would also depend on your budget. Most all goggles will work with any standard quads VTX.

Reactions: Wrecked and tevek
@AutenTECH750

Something that could support a GoPro is going to be a larger drone and somewhat costly to repair after crashes. If you are just starting out you might want to consider starting with a smaller "Whoop" style quad. They are lighter and have protective ducts or hoops around the props. There will be many crashes starting out and you wouldn't want to trash a GoPro while learning to fly. You have a great idea in your other thread to learn on a sim first. Even with that, there will still be some crashes. The whoop style quads hold up fairly well in a crash and keep on flying. There are some that come with onboard DVR's so you can record your flight. Some of the goggles also have built in DVR's. They will not look as good as a GoPro but aren't bad for what they are.

This was recorded right from the FPV camera using a combo VTX/DVR on a 75mm whoop. Its not very good video but you can look back at your flight. I fly straight into a tree and only had to realign the battery and keep going. That is one of the great things about these little guys. It is also small enough that I fly it indoors as well without breaking anything I run into. Great for practicing on bad weather days.

This was recorded on a Caddx Turtle 1080p which has an onboard DVR. You would want a 85mm whoop to support the weight.

Caddx and RunCam also have 4K versions available with DVR. There are plug and play quads that come with these on them. I don't have one of those to show video from.

Also the files on my computer look better than the same video on Youtube...

As far as goggles, there are soooo many different ones to choose from and would also depend on your budget. Most all goggles will work with any standard quads VTX.
In the last video, are you not wearing goggles? Don't you need goggles to record and fly?

In the last video, are you not wearing goggles? Don't you need goggles to record and fly?
In the last video I was practicing flying LOS (Line of Sight). Any quad (with or without cameras) can be flown LOS and can have video recording capability but to fly FPV (First Person View) the quad has to be setup for that.
When flying FPV turning left is always left and right is always right. When flying LOS that is true when you are flying away from you but when you are flying towards yourself the controls are reversed. Moving the controls left will move the quad to your right and vice versa. That is something that took some getting used to for me and why I was at the park practicing...

Last edited by a moderator:
So I'm new to FPV. I'm looking for an FPV drone, goggles, and a controller but I have no idea what I'll need. Could someone maybe offer advice or maybe just sell me a complete setup. I'm hoping to be able to mount a GoPro on it so just take that in mind. Thanks
If you dont feel like building your own quad, you should look into the iFlight Nazgul5 from banggood.com. People really seems to like it (I dont have one).
Besides, go to youtube and watch some of Joshua Bardwell's videoes. They are very beginner friendly with loads of good info!

And remember to check out his fpv freerider series if you never flown FPV before ;-)

Reactions: Deleted member 3641

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
darshan rajput