Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

Advice for my first Drone for pre-DRL

Dan@3DIM

Reaction score
Hello! I was look for advice to buy my first drone racing. I was pro at radio controller racer ( 1/10th TC 19turn ) and enjoy build from kit.

I have I-Heli ( Mjx R/C ) as gift from my friend. I getting good at indoor basic until I fly it too quick just like my TC, but I just lost the track of where the drone facing are.. upside down or worse backward.. I lost control of it and it crash but bouncy instead of wreaking. It still working after replace prop Heh. Don't worry, it is my father in law warehouse.

I think of get FPV Google for that but don't think camera can fit on I-Heli 3D roll, think of get myself a drone built for racing instead of for just fly. Would like to join DRL!

More accurate info of my current quad.
i-heli 2.4G-3D ROLL 4 CH 3 axis GYRO QUAD-COPTER.

Kind regards

Dan

I would say build a 210mm-230mm racer if you want to dive right in, or you could start with one of the high performance RTF micro 100mm-130mm ones which will be easier to find a practice spot, even indoors. If you build, some of the most popular frames right now are ImpulseRC Alien and Helix, and Lumenier QAV-R and QAV-X (and of course their clones). But there are plenty of other choices as well. I like flight controllers that use BetaFlight, like the SP Racing F3 acro, but there are lots of choices there too. People are going nuts for the KISS flight controller now.

Crazepony has some good deals on Amazon, and of course there is banggood for ultra low price. On the higher end you can check out small custom shops like droneproz.com or giants like helipal.com's Storm series. Good luck!

Reactions: Dan@3DIM
I would say build a 210mm-230mm racer if you want to dive right in, or you could ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ like droneproz.com or giants like helipal.com's Storm series. Good luck!

That was lot of parts for build from kit! Awesome. I going need a checklist and long research for that! I like most of it but really like the Storm SRD280 v3 best. Don't think I'll get Aliens... Because I am into artist!

Accord to FPVracing.tv I need

* Frame
* 4 motors
* 4 ESCs
* 4 props
* Flight controller
* Lithium-polymer (LiPo) battery
* Video transmitter (vTx) and receiver (vRx)
* Radio transmitter (Tx) and receiver (Rx)
* Antennas
* Battery straps
* FPV goggles or monitor
* Board camera for FPV
* HD camera for recording (optional)

But I can't find page about fine tune the drone ( habit from TC!)

I was think about buy large FOV FPV goggle like headplay HD. I know it look awful as 80s VR goggle! But all I care about how do I platform and better in my field of view instead of thinking about other people think how good I looks. ) and wide angle HD camera.. hopefully slowing buy all part and frame after that.

Just wonder if I still can use my drone? Remove that camera

open

open

open

Will it able fit? Then I can go careless with my old drone while I build and fine tune my racing drone.. heh

Also do I need flight controller?

open

Will it able to use on new receiver that go on racing drone?

(Edit) I don't understand why it don't show pic.... here a download media..

Attachments

• IMG_3367.JPG
    IMG_3367.JPG
    222.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3365.JPG
    IMG_3365.JPG
    138.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3364.JPG
    IMG_3364.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3363.JPG
    IMG_3363.JPG
    329.5 KB · Views: 9
That was lot of parts for build from kit! Awesome. I going need a checklist and long research for that! I like most of it but really like the Storm SRD280 v3 best. Don't think I'll get Aliens... Because I am into artist!

Accord to FPVracing.tv I need

* Frame
* 4 motors
* 4 ESCs
* 4 props
* Flight controller
* Lithium-polymer (LiPo) battery
* Video transmitter (vTx) and receiver (vRx)
* Radio transmitter (Tx) and receiver (Rx)
* Antennas
* Battery straps
* FPV goggles or monitor
* Board camera for FPV
* HD camera for recording (optional)

But I can't find page about fine tune the drone ( habit from TC!)

I was think about buy large FOV FPV goggle like headplay HD. I know it look awful as 80s VR goggle! But all I care about how do I platform and better in my field of view instead of thinking about other people think how good I looks. ) and wide angle HD camera.. hopefully slowing buy all part and frame after that.

Just wonder if I still can use my drone? Remove that camera

open

open

open

Will it able fit? Then I can go careless with my old drone while I build and fine tune my racing drone.. heh

Also do I need flight controller?

open

Will it able to use on new receiver that go on racing drone?

(Edit) I don't understand why it don't show pic.... here a download media..

I totally agree on the goggles. I bought some cheap ones ($90 eachine) with a 5" screen and 80 degree FOV. I like them better than my friend's $300 fatsharks, but the sharks do get better range I think. I am switching out my crappy antennas to be sure that isn't the issue. There is another eachine one with a diversity receiver built in which I may have gotten if I had seen it before I ordered mine.

Sorry, but I am not sure what you are trying to do with the old drone and camera, could you retry that question please?

As for the SRD280, I looked at it when I was deciding what to get. It does look nice, but I believe the cc3d is sort of an old flight controller, and the drone is pretty big. You could also consider a Kylin of you want a canopy, or a Mech x5. I wanted to like the SRD280, but had to eliminate it due to size and FC.

Edit: you will also need a Power Distribution Board, preferably with 12v and 5v BECs, and OSD for battery voltage and amperage display in the goggles.

Agree with SRD280... plus price too. Maybe there are other one with nice style or I'll have to 3D print a body! ( I own printing yay...) Best answer to this is using Lumenier frame because it look simple frame. SRD210 is not bad too. Owl suit daredevil..

Nighthawk is other cheapest frame so far I can see in google. But if I go for RTF it look not cheap without a goggle. Rip off possibly and build my own is cheapest?

About my old drone, it don't have FPV transmitter. Only recording into mirco SD card as see in picture.. wonder if I remove that recording camera for FPV camera transmitter.... if that is possibly then I'll have two FPV Drone instead of just have one new racing drone. Heh

You can get a clone of QAV-R or Alien (called Martian) on amazon for under $40. If you already have a 3d printer, custom canopy would be fun.

As for making the old drone FPV... maybe. You might could jam a FX798T in there but the problem is supplying 5v from what is likely a 3.7v battery.

You can get a clone of QAV-R or Alien (called Martian) on amazon for under $40. If you already have a 3d printer, custom canopy would be fun.

As for making the old drone FPV... maybe. You might could jam a FX798T in there but the problem is supplying 5v from what is likely a 3.7v battery.
Yeah it is 3.7v....drat.
Is there any good ARF drone? Before I start made a shopping list.

Yes, but what is your budget?
If I go for under £200 my wife won't kill me.. but problem is goggle, it don't come cheap. I can go slow and spread my budget. So that mean I'll aim £150 or less for whole drone and few on controller ( if mine one is useless ) plus headplay HD price of £168.

If we manage to got whole drone under £40, it is my wife approve!

I just found Storm SDR280 clone. But guess it is too large? It is cc3d.

Robocat 270mm Quadcopter Carbon Fiber Frame Kit With (CC3D Flight Controller +WST 2204 KV2300 Motor + Emax 12A ESC +BEC Output 5V 12V LED Switch) - Frame Kit - Browse by Type

If I go for under £200 my wife won't kill me.. but problem is goggle, it don't come cheap. I can go slow and spread my budget. So that mean I'll aim £150 or less for whole drone and few on controller ( if mine one is useless ) plus headplay HD price of £168.

If we manage to got whole drone under £40, it is my wife approve!

I just found Storm SDR280 clone. But guess it is too large? It is cc3d.

Robocat 270mm Quadcopter Carbon Fiber Frame Kit With (CC3D Flight Controller +WST 2204 KV2300 Motor + Emax 12A ESC +BEC Output 5V 12V LED Switch) - Frame Kit - Browse by Type

You can get fairly good 800x480 goggles for $100 on amazon. For the drone, since you want to keep low budget, check out banggood.com. for lots of options or consider a tarot 130. TAROT 130 TL130H1 Mini Real-time Transmission Racing Drone with Brushless Motor-166.67 and Online Shopping | GearBest.com Mobile

Your right about eachine FPV goggle. It look a lot better than headplay for half of it price. Think so I'll have that for my first FPV goggle. I can buy best one later when I become pro drone racing. And nice to have a passenger goggle Haha

That mean increase budget for spend on drone and it controller if need. Yay

I was thinking about buy 5" drone. Suit fly outdoor with high chance of windy. Don't think mirco drone can stay fly in windy?

Just found this.
Rcmodelpart DIY H210 FPV Racing Quadcopter Mini Drone Frame Kit With CC3D Emax MT1804 Motor SimonK 12A ESC 4050 Props https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01D4JZR4W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fXDhybT2QPAMK

Is it any good?

The components on that one are pretty low end. 12a ESCs, cc3d flight controller, etc. You would definitely be limited to 3S battery. Check out something like this Eachine Wizard X220 FPV Racing Drone Blheli_S F3 6DOF 2205 2300KV Motors 5.8G 48CH 200MW VTX ARF Sale - Banggood Mobile

Your right about eachine FPV goggle. It look a lot better than headplay for half of it price. Think so I'll have that for my first FPV goggle. I can buy best one later when I become pro drone racing. And nice to have a passenger goggle Haha

That mean increase budget for spend on drone and it controller if need. Yay

I was thinking about buy 5" drone. Suit fly outdoor with high chance of windy. Don't think mirco drone can stay fly in windy?

That Tarot 130 has brushless motors, and flies 60mph, so it should handle a decent wind. But a 5" is a good size, that is what I have been using.

one last thing, i would add a PDB that has a built in current sensor and OSD like the one called HUBOSD (x-frame version). They are cheap and will give you OSD in your goggles of voltage, current and flight time without doing a bunch of extra wiring.

one last thing, i would add a PDB that has a built in current sensor and OSD like the one called HUBOSD (x-frame version). They are cheap and will give you OSD in your goggles of voltage, current and flight time without doing a bunch of extra wiring.
This one?
Realacc HUBOSD ECO X Type w/STOSD8 Current Sensor 5V 12V Dual BEC PDB with XT60 Plug
https://banggood.app.link/35xxw8hH3x

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax