Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

6S High KV - Throttle scaling

fpvrick7

Reaction score
I'm thinking about building a 6s freestyle kwad with 2150kv motors, so that I can have a 4S battery setup with dual blades for long range and efficiency, and 6S batteries for freestyle (with throttle scaling in BF 4.1 of course). However, I have read on multiple websites and forums that scaling throttle or setting endpoints in the transmitter reduces efficiency and produces less power than flying with regular 1750kv motors on 6S. Has anyone experienced this before? If I use 2150kv motors on 6S and scale the throttle in the correct ratio that would output the same rpm as 1750kv motors on 6S, will there be a difference in flight? Possibly less power and efficiency?

I’m not really sure. I have one quad that I have 2306 2500kv motors that I run on 6s and I haven’t done any throttle scaling with them and it’s fine so far. Now these are not my favorite motors or anything so if I burn them out then I won’t be heartbroken but been monitoring them after every flight and they are always cool so I’m going to see how it goes. I do however never go to full throttle with them.

There are other considerations here too. For example are you carrying a gopro? Do you care about a little jello? If your quad is tuned to 6s, she's gonna feel really loose on 4s no matter what. If you have it tuned to feel right on 4s then you're going to get mean vibrations on 6s and have to cut the top 25% or more off your throttle.

This is true in all engineering platforms, and it's true for quads: A jack of all trades is a master of none.

What's your range at now? You have crossfire and your video link all set up for some miles?

I’m not really sure. I have one quad that I have 2306 2500kv motors that I run on 6s and I haven’t done any throttle scaling with them and it’s fine so far. Now these are not my favorite motors or anything so if I burn them out then I won’t be heartbroken but been monitoring them after every flight and they are always cool so I’m going to see how it goes. I do however never go to full throttle with them.

Thanks for the reply.

Doesn't that setup kill your batteries? I would like to have the full throttle resolution where if I punch out I won't have to worry about frying stuff. I'm just worried about losing power and efficiency after throttle capping. What props are you using? S3? Probably something shallow pitched.

There are other considerations here too. For example are you carrying a gopro? Do you care about a little jello? If your quad is tuned to 6s, she's gonna feel really loose on 4s no matter what. If you have it tuned to feel right on 4s then you're going to get mean vibrations on 6s and have to cut the top 25% or more off your throttle.

This is true in all engineering platforms, and it's true for quads: A jack of all trades is a master of none.

What's your range at now? You have crossfire and your video link all set up for some miles?

Yes I will be carrying a session. Betaflight 4.1 has a new feature where it detects what voltage of the battery is plugged into the quad and automatically changes your pid profile. So jello or "bad pids" aren't an issue. I've just heard around that motors are less efficient when used with an excessively high voltage (2100kv on 6s) even with throttle capping.

I haven't built the kwad yet, but I plan to put a crossfire and a tbs Unify pro 32 for some 1watt video link. Gonna be a long range beast.

Reactions: rtkDarling

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
happypapaya