Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

5db antenna for x9d plus ?

baevans11

Reaction score
I'e ordered a taranis x9d plus special edition and I know it only comes with a 2db antenna. Does anyone know where I can get a good 5db antenna? I saw one on Amazon but the reviews were spotty. I' new to frsky so I've got alot to learn switching from spektrum. But I finely made the decision when I did a dive behind a tree a 250feet and failsafe kicked in. Checked twice to be sure it wasn't a fluke. Thx for any help.

I think about half the people that try that antenna mod fail. It's more likely that your receiver or it's antenna isn't up to par

Reactions: Jtrjr
I think about half the people that try that antenna mod fail. It's more likely that your receiver or it's antenna isn't up to par
I thought that on the special edition it was merely just a matter of screwing on a different antenna? Like I said frsky is foreign territory to me so idk. Yeah I more blame the rx too, it's a lemon sat with tiny little wires. I was more or less just looking to justify buying a taranis haha. I'e been thinking about it since starting fpv coming from cp helis. Edit I have been reading more on it I can see the complications of it not be perfectly tuned to the taranis. Thx for your advice as always.

Last edited:
Reactions: VirtueViolater
The antenna change is indeed just that on the SE, but the real issue lies in that very "feature". IF, SOMEHOW the unit gets turned on without proper connectivity to a good antenna, simply because the antenna is removable, leaves the RC transmitter at grave risk all the time and too many people have blown their transmitter board because of that. I am very seasoned in this stuff and I decided not to take the chance on blowing or degrading my only RC because the antenna was removable and went with the standard model. The range on it is excellent unless something substantial gets in the way, and no amount of (legal) power or gain is going to change that... much.

Some who have gotten the SE, and either blew the TX board or never wanted to chance blowing it... simply have added a XJT module to the SE and disabled the internal TX board.

Reactions: Jtrjr
The antenna change is indeed just that on the SE, but the real issue lies in that very "feature". IF, SOMEHOW the unit gets turned on without proper connectivity to a good antenna, simply because the antenna is removable, leaves the RC transmitter at grave risk all the time and too many people have blown their transmitter board because of that. I am very seasoned in this stuff and I decided not to take the chance on blowing or degrading my only RC because the antenna was removable and went with the standard model. The range on it is excellent unless something substantial gets in the way, and no amount of (legal) power or gain is going to change that... much.

Some who have gotten the SE, and either blew the TX board or never wanted to chance blowing it... simply have added a XJT module to the SE and disabled the internal TX board.
Thank you for that advice! I will definitely research that. I' committed to this tx now though because alot of people did reccommend it and the reviews seemed sound. While I did read about the range issues in the earlier versions I was under the impression that issue was spotty and resolved. I however did not know of the issue you spoke of. So you say adding that module is the way to go? Thx for your help.

So you say adding that module is the way to go? Thx for your help.

No, I think in the long run the way to go is to get the SE and treat the sma connector and your antenna very carefully to make sure the antenna isn't likely damaged and a good solid connection before you turn on. And if all else fails, the TX board is replaceable and the XJT module is always an option. They are super sweet RC's for a really good price and it was a tough tough decision for me to make. I would still love to get one someday and I may, especially since even if/when something happened, I would still keep my original to keep me in the air until I could repair the SE. I hate to use psychological warfare on my wife, but I may just have to float the idea that "the grandkids need an RC so we can fly together"... and BINGO, I'm in like Flynn
:)

yes, its delicate. i have the x9d plus se and got the antenna from taranis. i baby that connection like life depends on it but no issues yet (6 months, 4 batteries a day at least)

i DO NOT remove the antenna and the case closes with just the tip sticking out a bit. i believe removing it for transport increases risk of breakage so i just don't.

unless your really gonna push a mile or more out, i don't think 5db is needed. i just had to have all available upgrades up front and go forward unconcerned. im still hopeful but unconcerned.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
darshan rajput