Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

3d printed go pro material?

montanazane

Reaction score
Howdy there humans. I'm currently proforming my first two builds at once after a crash put my eachine wizard out of commission. I'm using the guts of the wizard for a 4s quad and building a long range 6s quad as well. My local library offers 3d printing very cheap so I had some parts built for the new quads. The plastic used is much harder than I expected and will work fine for the majority of the parts. I am worried about the go pro mount. It seems like I risk damaging my hero8 by pushing it in across the sharp rigid angles. Is there a prefered 3d printing material used for action cam mounts? Or is this normal? 20200609_203853.jpg

You can design and print the object with rounded corners where needed, or with a different fastening system that doesn’t scratch the camera.

If printed with PLA, ABS, or some other ridged plastic, you may be able to round the the corners post-printing with sand paper.

You may also be able to print the object with soft, pliable material like thermoplastic copolyester (TPC), but I don’t have experience with it since my printer doesn’t handle it.

Check this website for info on the plastics that are available:

I use GoPro knockoffs and designed and 3D printed frames out of PLA that the cameras slide into from the front. They are locked into place with two small ramps at the bottom and the springy clip on top. No round corners on the print, but no scratches on the cameras either. Removing the camera just requires lifting the spring clip and rocking the bottom of the camera over the two ramps on the bottom.

My camera holder is designed to slip onto a 3-axis gimbal.

I have versions where the camera is triggered with a servo and versions where the camera is triggered electronically by an autopilot (see photos).

I use SketchUp 2017 (the last free version) to draft my 3D stuff.

Before I bought a $200 Cetus printer (Cetus3D - Minimalist Precision 3D Printer that simply works) on Kickstarter, I used local people found on 3DHubs.com to print my stuff. There were a half dozen people who could print in different materials within a few miles of my home. I don’t know what 3D Hubs is like now. See this site for a review of similar services:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
TPU is better for quads. soft filament is not hard to print. just slow everything down. PLA and hard plastics just break when you crash and not good for quads.
PLA and PETG is great for models and figures and non crashing stuff.
If you can find it.. get Sainsmart TPU.
100% infill
220 hot end
20 print speed
60 bed temp
.1 level hight

let her rip.
just printed this new session 5 mount and the footies for this TAQ edition Flynoceros Sköll build.
15925359428032342890625116160020.jpg

Reactions: HighTechPauper

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
darshan rajput