Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

2204 motor with 30a ESC's

JBlake

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am new to this forum, and I have a quick question to ask, as I can not find a solid answer anywhere

I am currently building 3 racing drones, and I have some parts left over to do another drone.

what i have left to build another drone is 4x 2204 motors, and 4x 30a ESC, along with the FC etc.

I just want to know if its safe to use 2204 motors with 30a ESC? the frame size is 220

thank you for your reply,

I should also mention that i am also new to the world of quad racing drones.

I do not know the burst rate, i can look it up.

my concern is that 30amp ESC's would be too much for a 2204 motor, as most people would use between a 12amp to 20amp ESC with this size motor, and because these are left over parts i have bought before, i did not want to have to buy lower amp ESC's or buy different motors.

I was just hoping that the motors would be fine with the higher amp ESC's and i would just stick with an 11.1v 3S lipo battery. i know the motors are rated for 3-4S batteries, but just concerned about the ESC's giving to much power, and overheat the motors.

im confused, that is the problem, when i use 30amp ESC's i would use a 2205 and up motor, all my builds are using 30amp ESC's except for one that is using a 40amp ESC paired with 2306 motors.

but if you are saying that 30amp ESC is fine with these motors then i am fine to continue the build?

That is what i was thinking, it is better to have more, than not enough, like a 6amp ESC's would be to low for the motors, but anything over what they recommend would be fine?

not sure how true that is with quads, but that is how i first thought, and just wanted to ask some of the members here who have more experience than my 3 months of building them.

if anyone here has run 2204 with 30amp ESC's let me know, actually let everyone know, because i couldn't find an answer to this anywhere using google search. It would be great to get some info from someone who has run this setup on a 220mm drone frame, or close to that size.

I've mastered soldering and putting everything together, but I'm a newbie to understanding everything about FPV quads and flying them. I know the basics right now, just wasn't sure about this setup, and i do not want it to fail or blow the motors or ESC's, or the FC.

I am sure prop size matters too with these motors, as well as batteries type?

if anyone running this setup or knows a lot, can you please add to this, it would be great and would help me, and other newbies joining this fantastic world of FPV quads!

It's suggested to choose an ESC that's 20%-50% higher than the amp draw of the motors you are running. Going higher amp rating of the ESCs will in no way affect the performance.

Thank you guys so much for your help, i am now going to finish the build since i am safe to do so!

I too am about to receive my 35a 40a burst blheli s racestar sprog esc’s in the Mail soon and will be using my MT2204 2300kv emax motors with 3s power maybe 4s. Prop will be biblade 5.1” 45 pc or 5035 gf biblade. I’m also going to try azure Johnnyfpv’s 3blade and the hurricanes by hq I think. And HQ Prop 5x4.3x3 V1S Tri-Blades and maybe DAL Cyclone T5046C Tri-Blade . I will report back ASAP.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax