Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

1st build, i'm having problems with motors/esc

Sometimes the easiest way to flash a board is to load the software and then turn on "flash on connect" in the firmware flasher and then power the board with the button pressed. If it powers up in DFU mode it will start to flash it right away.

Reactions: Gin and baevans11
ok so i was able to flash the FC(using the bl command on cli tab, i run impulse rc anyways ) but still i cant read any esc in BLHeliSuite and motors dont spin. and getting the same error as before

Screenshot (151).png

Were you ever able to read the ESC's? Did the motors ever spin?

You have the same issue as before unfortunately, you are talking to the FC, but the FC cannot talk to the ESC. If you Motor Signal wires are correct it looks like the ESC may be toast, but the answer to the above 2 questions will give us a clue. You may want to take a picture of your connections at the FC and the ESC for the motor signal wires, maybe that will give us an idea if something is wrong with the wiring.

Reactions: Gin and baevans11
i wasn't able to read the esc or spin the motors
since i had never solder besofore all the solder looks pretty bad, i am already amazed that something is working and not everything is toasted so i may have fried someting for sure
below the esc connection point( if you heve a weak hearth please dont look)
photo_2018-10-31_18-43-46.jpg

since i had never solder besofore all the solder looks pretty bad, i am already amazed that something is working and not everything is toasted so i may have fried someting for sure
View attachment 2784
View attachment 2784
Yeah it ain't great but dont sweat it man we all sucked at soldering at first. It's pretty tricky when learning. I'd recommend watching some video tutorials on YouTube, there are tons. I'm no master but I'm lightyears beyond what I was when I started. Make sure your using the correct temp for type of solder your using and one of the most important parts is tinning the tip, tinning the wire and putting a spot of solder on the tab before putting them all together. Really the most important part I think is once you connect the 2 parts being soldered is keeping it very still for the second or 2 it takes to harden. If you have an old radio or something you can take it apart and practice on it. It's very possible le you have some bad connections, it's very likely actually. Also whenever you build you should always use a smoke stopper when first plugging in a lipo so if you did mess something up the stopper will trip. You can buy them or make them. Just Google it. I made all of mine with trippable marine breakers. Hope that helps.

Sometimes Gin, it might pay to buy a prebuilt when soldering is a challenge. The wire insulation is too far back and those wires could easily touch even in the smallest crash and that will be a bad day for you. If you are going to try and fly that I would suggest some "Welders" or "Shoe Goo" to cover it to keep them isolated, it peels off easy and clean when you need to do repairs but will keep those wires from touching each other. Make sure you look for or build a Smoke Stopper with a bulb instead of the solid state ones with LED, while no smoke stopper is a guaranteed to stop damage the ones with a bulb are much better than the ones with an LED.

How is your fc being powered?
I ask this question because the motors will not operate if the flight controller is being powered by the USB with no lipo power. When it's not plugged into the computer and you hook up the lipo, do the lights come on on the fc?

Last edited:
Sometimes Gin, it might pay to buy a prebuilt when soldering is a challenge. The wire insulation is too far back and those wires could easily touch even in the smallest crash and that will be a bad day for you. If you are going to try and fly that I would suggest some "Welders" or "Shoe Goo" to cover it to keep them isolated, it peels off easy and clean when you need to do repairs but will keep those wires from touching each other. Make sure you look for or build a Smoke Stopper with a bulb instead of the solid state ones with LED, while no smoke stopper is a guaranteed to stop damage the ones with a bulb are much better than the ones with an LED.
yep you are right i'll look for something like it. thank you again

Reactions: HighTechPauper
View attachment 2784
HighTechPauper is very right about your wire sheathing being too far back, it doesnt take much exposed wire to solder with unless your like splicing wires together. You only need about 1/2 the size of the pad your soldering to worth of wire imo. Also a lot of motors and esc's are notorious for coming with junk plastic wire sheathing, which tends to melt back even further when soldering especially if your not getting the solder job done quickly which is often the case when your beginning to learn soldering. I always replace any plastic wires with high quality silicone sheathed wires. The silicone will not melt when it comes into contact with heat like plastic. So I highly recommend stocking up on all sizes of silicone wiring if your going to continue building quads.

How is your fc being powered?
I ask this question because the motors will not operate if the flight controller is being powered by the USB with no lipo power. When it's not plugged into the computer and you hook up the lipo, do the lights come on on the fc?
Also, in the bottom right-hand corner of your picture there's a blob of solder by the white wire. It could possibly be causing a short on the PC board if that's what it is.

yep i connected the lipo, the blob of solder that you are saying by looking closer it's not touching anithing else but i dont know if it's shorting something

Yes, baevans11 is right, silicone is better, but I find that the way I trash my quads having some cheap plastic covered wire is the least of my problems LOL ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kronk