Welcome to FPVDronePilots!
Join our free FPV drone community today!

1 motor arms the other don't spool up

Reaper71

Reaction score
Hey Guy's I am in the middle of my new build (first one also) it is a Neato (Talon)
I'm running:
Lumenier LUX V2 FC
Lumenier 20A 4 in 1 esc
Frysky XM+ receiver
Armattan OOMPH 2206 2300kv motors

Ok, onto the problem..In betaflight when it is connected and battery plugged in (using motors tab) all motors spin up really nice no issues!
As soon as I try to arm it (via switch) No motors spin at all upon flipping switch until I start to throttle up and only motor #1 spins until the throttle is 1/4 to 1/2 then the other motors start to move slightly.
I have checked and changed to a bit shorter bolts going into the motors,calibrated the esc's in BlHeli suite,and checked all connections and they look good.
Any Ideas?

Thank's
Mark

Mark,

What do you have your Minumum throttle set to? When in the motor Tab in BF, props off, battery plugged in, antenna on, just click once on the master slider then use the up arrow one press at a time until all of the motors start to spin. They'll first start to twitch and each time you press the up arrow they'll spin more. Keep pressing the up arrow until they are all spinning consistently. Note that number. What is it? You can usually bump it by 20 or so, you'll set that as your minimum throttle. Not sure that will solve the problem but it would be the first thing I would do.

Jerry

Minimum throttle is 1050
Motors will start to spin at 1127

Mark,

I'm wondering if this is a radio issue and not the bird. Is this the first time you're using your QX7? Did you set your throttle endpoints in the radio? If I remember correctly (that's a big "if" these days!) there were quite a few settings I had to do to the my X9D radio before I got it working properly.

Jerry

Does the radio range look right (1000us-2000us) when you move the sticks on receivers tab of betaflight?

How did you calibrate the ESCs? I do mine on the motors tab of betaflight. But if your FC and ESC both support Dshot, try using that. That protocol doesnt need calibration at all.

Jerry, yes the end points have been set.
Green Orange, Yes they are all 1000-2000 I used blheli suite for the esc,s (multishot) I was watching a video on it and maybe goofed things up!
That being said, I couldnt get the latest version of Blheli to download,could that have something to do with it?

Thank's Guy's
Mark

I would try calibrating again just to be sure, or use DShot if supported. To calibrate, I do:

1. Connect USB only, go to betaflight motors
2. Accept responsibility, link motors, max throttle
3. Plug in battery, wait for beeps
4. Lower throttle to min, wait for beeps
5. Unplug battery

Reactions: Jtrjr
Hey Guy's....back again
I have finished up the last few things and put it all together battery on and tried the first flight.
Had it kinda flip out (did not wreck I shut it down quickly) I brought it back inside hooked up to Betaflight and tested the motors 1st with the radio not connected to see if something was weird, all was spinning up correctly and evenly as I would go one click at a time (using the arrow keys) and all was good.

So I then connected the radio and this is where it got a little odd...when I arm the motors they are all spinning at my min low of 1050 as I set them. as I tried to throttle up 1,2 and 3 would spool up and #4 would not, then sometimes it would be 2 and 4 .
I then turned things off and re did the calibrating (from greens early post) and tried the keyboard and was fine again and with radio on it does the same thing!, not as bad seems like #4 is the problem child
What should I try next?

Mark

Mark,

A few things you may want to check. First, take a post it note and cut four little strips about an inch or so long with the sticky strip at the top, draw an arrow on two of the strips going to the right and two going to the left, put the arrows on the bottom part of the strip. Now stick the strip to the top of each motor (props off) with the arrow point in the direction of the correct motor rotation. Hook it up to Betaflight and using the motor Tab start bringing each motor up so it twitches or rotates very slowly. You can use the same up arrow method you used previously just select each motor one at a time. This will make it easier to make certain that each motor is rotating in the proper direction.

Next, make sure motor 1 - 4 are correct per the diagram in BetaFlight. Motor 1 should be ESC 1/Motor 1 (Rear-Right). Make sure that's correct for each motor.

Also, check that you have the correct stick setup. I can't remember the exact terminology in Betaflight but it's the channel map setting, I believe. The setting that is like AETR, TAER, etc. make sure you have the right one selected.

I'd try those things first.

Jerry

Reactions: Reaper71
I have already checked the motor direction ( I use the really small zip tie ) and confirmed they are all spinng in the correct direction.
Going into the receiver tab and checking the stick movements it is all working in the proper manner.
I am currently looking at a video (josh bardwell) on the blheli suite to see if I missed something
Thank You for your reply Jerry!!

Mark

Reactions: Jtrjr
Ok, this is the current status.
I have gone back between blheli and Beta to try and see if I have F'd up something and I have things set as they need to be. I have checked end points on my transmitter/receiver, I have recalibrated the ESC'S and have tested the motors in the motors tab with the (master slider) and the motors all spool up perfect! from 1000 to 2000
When I arm the motors via the switch on the transmitter they arm and spin, however watching (in motors tab) while armed I try to throttle up and #1 and #4 don't really move #2 and #3 throttle up fairly fast and until you give it a lot of throttle is when #1 and #4 start to come up!
Very confusing

Mark

Mark,

This will probably sound stupid but did you calibrate the accelerometer? I'm sure you did. Is the accelerometer on or off? If it's on, try turning it off. If it's off, try turning it on and doing the calibration.

Try holding the bird firmly (props off!) while you spool try to spool the motors up with the radio. Move the bird around a bit with the motors up a little. How does the bird respond?

It almost sounds like it has something to do with the accelerometer. If everything spools up properly in the motor tab then I would assume the ESC's and motors are all good.

What version of Betaflight is on the bird? You may want to reflash the board. I'm just grabbing for anything that I might try to do.

Jerry

Hey Guy's I am in the middle of my new build (first one also) it is a Neato (Talon)
I'm running:
Lumenier LUX V2 FC
Lumenier 20A 4 in 1 esc
Frysky XM+ receiver
Armattan OOMPH 2206 2300kv motors

Ok, onto the problem..In betaflight when it is connected and battery plugged in (using motors tab) all motors spin up really nice no issues!
As soon as I try to arm it (via switch) No motors spin at all upon flipping switch until I start to throttle up and only motor #1 spins until the throttle is 1/4 to 1/2 then the other motors start to move slightly.
I have checked and changed to a bit shorter bolts going into the motors,calibrated the esc's in BlHeli suite,and checked all connections and they look good.
Any Ideas?

Thank's
Mark
Armattan told me 20A ESCs are too low for the 2206 2300KV Oomphs. They told me to get 30A

Reactions: Reaper71 and Jtrjr
Mark,

This will probably sound stupid but did you calibrate the accelerometer? I'm sure you did. Is the accelerometer on or off? If it's on, try turning it off. If it's off, try turning it on and doing the calibration.

Try holding the bird firmly (props off!) while you spool try to spool the motors up with the radio. Move the bird around a bit with the motors up a little. How does the bird respond?

It almost sounds like it has something to do with the accelerometer. If everything spools up properly in the motor tab then I would assume the ESC's and motors are all good.

What version of Betaflight is on the bird? You may want to reflash the board. I'm just grabbing for anything that I might try to do.

Jerry
Mark,
In addition to checking the accelerometer check your radio sticks as well. When you add power (I'm assuming left stick) are you keeping it dead centered left to right? Are your sticks calibrated properly? I have noticed with mine that if my thumb slips a little left or right my quad motors will run at different speeds in an attempt to move in the direction ordered.

Thank's to all of you for your comments and advice!!!
I have gone over almost everything that all of you have suggested.....Then (Josh Bardwell) sends this to me (above video) It makes sense.
I have the quad all set and ready to try it out one more time with props on and try to see if I can get tit to hover.
Jonnynotech That is interesting because I almost went with the 30A esc's (dammit) we will see in a few minutes
Will update in a few!
Again Thank You to ALL!!

Mark

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodax